Pak Chee Farang by another "afarang"

cfhebertjr

I do not look at the forum much these days as I've been in Thailand a long time. Today I noticed an old post from Up-Country Sinclair ["I would be most appreciative if someone could tell me if Pak Chee is the equivalent of parsley or coriander.]

Mr. afarang made a statement that was totally wrong. Mr. afarang instead of answering the question he stated ["Pak Chee Thai is coriander. Pak chee farang is parsley. Pak chee laos is fennel.]

Just for the record Mr. afarang...Pak Chee Farang is NOT Parsley. Pak Chee Farang is Culantro. Some call it "Saw Leaf Coriander.

To answer Up-Country...in my understanding of my wife's explanation, Pak is a classifier of plants. Most specifically lettuce, spinach etc. Chee refers to herbs.

Therefore Pak Chee is only part of the descriptor. It needs another word at the end to determine if it is Cilantro (Coriander) or Parsley. Pak Chee Homme (or Thai) would be Cilantro.

So...my final answer is "Pak Chee (only) is neither parsley or coriander"

Just for the record cfhebertjr, forum member afarang took his etan to a better place some years ago and he is no longer of this world, RIP. So Id be very surprised if you were to receive a response to your erudite comment from him.

Signed: fellow etan driver.

• 4 months later...
  • 10 months later...