Bangkok: Roads to close during evening rush for TAT's 'Thainess' parade

webfact

Roads to close during evening rush for TAT’s ‘Thainess’ parade
By Coconuts Bangkok

map_1.jpg
Photo: Tourism Authority of Thailand

BANGKOK: -- More than just an ill-defined bundle of values at the heart of identity politics, “Thainess” is now the centerpiece of tourism officials’ campaign for 2015.

To celebrate the launch of its “Discover Thainess” campaign, the Tourism Authority will shut down several critical roads around Lumpini Park for a parade on Wednesday just about the time everyone finishes work to go home.

“The pride of the nation” will be on display for a 3.5-kilometer route including a replica of the regal Suphannahong boat, regional festivals, folk performances, morlam and luk thung music, traditional puppets, feats of Thai ingenuity, Muay Thai and beautiful Thai smiles, with a cast of more than 1,000.

Rama I Road will close at 4pm as the parade begins at Pathumwan. It will move past Siam Paragon to Ratchaprasong intersection and down Ratchadamri Road to Lumpini Park as the final destination. [read more...]

Full story: http://bangkok.coconuts.co//2015/01/12/roads-close-during-evening-rush-tats-thainess-parade

cocon.jpg
-- Coconuts Bangkok 2015-01-12

They love parades and any kind of loud music and commotion.

Disregard any inconvenience that all this will cause.

But this the way of Thai living......of Thainess as we keep hearing about.

TAT should more concentrate on promoting Thailand abroad and not in BKK.

But again.....it's a part of Thainess...........

• Like 1

Traffic to inner commercial, business districts to be closed four hours on Wednesday

12-1-2558-16-36-15-wpcf_728x317.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Bangkok Metropolitan Administration will shut down traffic into commercial and business districts from Siam Square to Lumpini Park for four hours on Wednesday to launch a tourism campaign for 2015.

Traffic will be closed be between 4.30pm – 8.30pm to facilitate promotion activities which will see more than a thousand performers and floats to advertise the charm of Thailand.

The tourism promotion parade will start from the National Stadium on Soi Chulalongkorn 5, towards Ratchaprasong intersection on Rama I Road passing Siam Centre to Central World.

The colourful procession will turn right along Ratchadamri road to end at Lumpini Park, where Thailand Tourism Festival 2015, with the theme “Discover Thainess”, will be held from the evening of Wednesday to Friday and from noon on the weekend.

Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha will preside at the opening of the campaign ceremony in front of Siam Discovery shopping mall at 5 pm.

Tourism Authority of Thailand says The 2015 Discover Thainess Parade will involve over 1,000 performers and six magnificent floats.

TAT offices from each region will present visitors with information on their tourism landmarks and culture at the Lumpini park , as well as live performances.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/traffic-inner-commercial-business-districts-closed-four-hours-wednesday

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2015-01-12

The purpose is to pin you in the traffic and think about Thainess, that`s Thainess! The same you walk around a temple with a candle in your hand and think about Buddha. That`s Thainess. If you not live here for a long time you might not understand.

"To celebrate the launch of its “Discover Thainess” campaign, the Tourism Authority will shut down several critical roads around Lumpini Park for a parade on Wednesday,

just about the time everyone finishes work to go home."

cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

Perhaps Jupiter will be aligning with Lumpini at the time. So, it must be done.

Another brilliant campaign from TAT.

facepalm.gif

Couldnt organize a piss up in a brewery! Rather than have an event that blocks roads at weekend , have it when children and workers are travelling in the early evening of a weekday .How ever could TAT get permission to do this? Yeah I know stupid question.

Edited by kingalfred
  • Like 2

I hope there's plenty of non-meter running taxis, drunk tuk tuk drivers, pick pocketing ladyboys, loud and racing motorbike gangs, cops shaking down tourists, indian watch hawkers, and sex show touts that are available to march in the parade....Make sure to really spread the Thainess around.

Duh!! You forgot the Burmese Banana Pancake sellers!!

cheesy.gifcheesy.gif

Well theres lots of tourists in and around Siam square so I am sure TAT will manage to impress some of them. If Ihave time I will participate in the parade myself.

Edited by balo

Wrong location. Not enough tourists. How about the airport? They could all dress up in pretty colored shirts (yellow maybe) and go to the airport and tell all of the tourists about Thainess. Maybe if they could camp out there and make a party out of it.

I hope there's plenty of non-meter running taxis, drunk tuk tuk drivers, pick pocketing ladyboys, loud and racing motorbike gangs, cops shaking down tourists, indian watch hawkers, and sex show touts that are available to march in the parade....Make sure to really spread the Thainess around.

cheesy.gifcheesy.gif

Many of them are actually Bangladeshi (Bengali).

The purpose is to pin you in the traffic and think about Thainess, that`s Thainess! The same you walk around a temple with a candle in your hand and think about Buddha. That`s Thainess. If you not live here for a long time you might not understand.

"The same you walk around a temple with a candle in your hand and think about Buddha. That`s Thainess."

It's clear that you don't understand either.

• Like 1

Couldnt organize a piss up in a brewery! Rather than have an event that blocks roads at weekend , have it when children and workers are travelling in the early evening of a weekday .How ever could TAT get permission to do this? Yeah I know stupid question.

"Couldnt organize a piss up in a brewery!"

It actually seems that they could.

No tanks and marching soldiers? What is Thainess without the Royal Thai Army and its 3,000 flag officers marching through the streets of Bangkok?

"...Royal Thai Army and its 3,000 flag officers marching through the streets of Bangkok?"

When has that happened?

Why would they want to emphasise the very tiny minority that each of those you mentioned represents?

Wrong location. Not enough tourists. How about the airport? They could all dress up in pretty colored shirts (yellow maybe) and go to the airport and tell all of the tourists about Thainess. Maybe if they could camp out there and make a party out of it.

"How about the airport? They could all dress up in pretty colored shirts (yellow maybe) and go to the airport and tell all of the tourists about Thainess."

Sondhi tried that back in 2008, didn't work out too well for tourism numbers though.

cheesy.gif

http://static.thaivisa.com/forum//public/style_emoticons/default/cheesy.gif[/

Many of them are actually Bangladeshi (Bengali).

Tomtomtom69 is so wrong. Most of the Burmese in middle east and in Thailand pretend to be bangladeshi to avoid being known as rohings, each year so many are caught doing so.

Haven't seen any bangladeshi or Bengali ar.ling banana anywhere in Thailand so far.

First they inconvenient travellers and tourists at DM for hours. Just to show off some military hardware to kids. Now they will literally paralyse the heart of BKK by holding a parade in some of the busiest streets in the city - at rush hour, no less, and when people just want to go home or unwind after a long day. I'm sure people will be very HAPPY. Thainess indeed.