Plutaluang Navy Course - slow play annoyance

henry2109

Today I played a round on the Plutalung Navy Golf Course, near Sattahip, which took me almost 5 hours. Some flights in front of us was a flight with 6 persons. So we waited on every single whole. Nothing we could do about it. The caddies did not unterstand the words "marshal" or "manager". My caddy was a young navy boy and did not unterstand anything about golf. Did not see and find any ball, could not speak a word of english, and on the green he once even gave me the driver, was more than useless. One caddy told us that were many people every day, and also many koreans. This course is better to avoid in high season.

Welcome to High season golf in Thailand. The Thai Navy course is often like this, did you not get suspicous when you booked your tee time? ( assuming you rang and prebooked as opposed to just turning up ). At Thai Navy there is never a problem whatever time you ask for. This is contrary to most other courses in and around Pattaya. I run a golf group in Pattaya, my advice to you, pre book tee times, and expect slow play at the cheaper ( green fee ) course like Thai Navy. Also 5 balls and 6 balls ( Thai / Japanese/ Korean ) are common in Thailand, although they are made to have a cart each person. Dont ever expect to be let through, and expect them to be slow slow slow on the greens, they are usually playing for money.

plus the old chestnut that you might get bumped and lose your tee time altogther if an admiral etc turns up and decides to play. ive decided not to play there again after my whole group tee time got cancelled in the morning, and we had to phone around and find a new course to play

• Like 1

7 hours total for a round at Hangdong Chiangmai 2x9 holes last Wednesday. Not me but my regular caddy with a group of Thais. Groups playing in 4 & 5's and 1 x6 at every hole! Queues over 30 people on the first tee at 8.30am!

No marshal or starter but the caddies control it well, amazingly.

I went to play at Soi Dao up in the hills last week, lots of Koreans in big groups, no caddies left, wait for a caddy no thanks, went to the driving range and hit 80 balls instead, 40baht. Usually I beat them but this day I was a bit late.

Edited by Bluetongue