Fake Watch Seller arrested by Pattaya Police following stabbing of Russian

webfact

No remorse in his face or body language.

Why do he do a boxer stance? He uses knife nowadays.

A known history of violence, another one of Pattaya's finest.

This city can really draw the finest people both from overseas and locally like a fly on a turd.

Yourself included?

He stands a very good chance of the case going nowhere on the basis of self defence, and he could easily be telling the truth.

I have dealt with many fake watch sellers over the years, and none of them has ever stabbed me... so something out of the ordinary must have happened.

I would imagine he got his lawyer to find out what the like outcome would be before handing himself in. That way he takes away most of the risk of handing himself in, but gets the same credit for doing so in court if it ever gets to court.

To anyone who questions why it took him so long to hand himself in, would you hand yourself in to the Thai police if you were potentially accused of murder.. I'm bloody sure I wouldn't without at least a great deal of preparation.

What you don't seem to get is that while all your encounters with fake watch sellers have been peaceful, you can't say you've dealt with this guy, who, judging from the photo (and how many of THOSE have we all seen here on TVF), is clearly "exceptional".

"It's never happened to me, so it can't happen." Have you ever been murdered? No, I guess not. So then, does THAT mean murders never happen?? Ever had diphtheria? No? Well then, I guess it must be a completely imaginary disease. Sorry, that's just fundamentally flawed logic, and it pops up here on TVF all the time.

While I DON'T agree that he's even in the same hemisphere with the truth, I DO agree that the case, like most all thai-on-foreigner assault cases, will probably go nowhere.

• Like 2

I believe him. From my experience of politely declining or ignoring hundreds of requests to buy a watch and not being stabbed, I find it at least as plausible as the Ruskies story.

As frustrated I get with street hustlers I just ignore them with a polite no thanks. The trick is not to look them in the eye. That is a sign, to them, that they have partly got you, all they need to do then is finish the kill. They are all good at, from the old Yia's down to the kids. But please do not lose sight of their plight, poverty.

The watch sellers that I really hate are the Pakistanis outside the Regency Park Hotel in Soi 22 Sukhumvit. They are a pain. When I see them set their sights on me, I wave them off before they can open their mouth or pull out their fake from their bum bag. Before I started doing this I had been offered a watch from the same guy 4 times in one afternoon. Determination, or do all us falang look the same ? These guys have no work permits and come in on a regular basis in teams, with their merchandise.

• Like 1

All this is all a charade to show.. nothing will come out of it, as the Mafia in Pattaya pays the

police big time, they go thru all this song and dance for the media benefits....

This is how it works here. Thais escape charges to stab another day; tourists go home. Mai pen rai. wai2.gif Tourists should check the cheap prices of knives in stores. B20 and you're all set.thumbsup.gif

• Like 1

So looking the way he is this is all just a joke to him. When are they actually going to do something about morons like this??

Whoa! Hold on just a sec! From my previous life-experience even I know that there are two sides to every story, so why the immediate come down on this guy? Maybe he isn't the full-Baht these days, and acted like an idiot at the police station by playing up to the camera, or maybe he was happy because he feels he was in the right and has nothing to fear down at the police station?

Or are we putting this guy down just because he is Thai, in keeping with the true Thai Visa forum tradition?

So are we still trying to say / somehow imply that if a foul mouthed Russian said bad words, or even if he threw a chair, that this somehow justifies a Thai or anyone else taking out a knife and stabbing someone in the stomach to show he is angry / lost his temper?

The apologists on this thread and the earlier one seem to think that gutting passers by is a reasonable response to show displeasure at bad manners, and it is usually the tourist's fault if they are beaten up or murdered....

What the thread appears to be about is that a Thai adult man could not control his adolescent rage in public, and furthermore the Thai legal system is unlikely to seriously punish him, thereby giving the message to other Thais that such behaviour is ok.

So the best thing the apologists can come up with is "don't offend any Thais". Well this should be made clear to everyone...

• Like 2

So looking the way he is this is all just a joke to him. When are they actually going to do something about morons like this??

Whoa! Hold on just a sec! From my previous life-experience even I know that there are two sides to every story, so why the immediate come down on this guy? Maybe he isn't the full-Baht these days, and acted like an idiot at the police station by playing up to the camera, or maybe he was happy because he feels he was in the right and has nothing to fear down at the police station?

Or are we putting this guy down just because he is Thai, in keeping with the true Thai Visa forum tradition?

So are we still trying to say / somehow imply that if a foul mouthed Russian said bad words, or even if he threw a chair, that this somehow justifies a Thai or anyone else taking out a knife and stabbing someone in the stomach to show he is angry / lost his temper?

The apologists on this thread and the earlier one seem to think that gutting passers by is a reasonable response to show displeasure at bad manners, and it is usually the tourist's fault if they are beaten up or murdered....

What the thread appears to be about is that a Thai adult man could not control his adolescent rage in public, and furthermore the Thai legal system is unlikely to seriously punish him, thereby giving the message to other Thais that such behaviour is ok.

So the best thing the apologists can come up with is "don't offend any Thais". Well this should be made clear to everyone...

Are there no cameras outside starbucks on beach road? No witnesses? If a chair was thrown at him someone would have seen. And if it was thrown you don't knife people over it. It's the Farangs fault for going there in the first place, if had not gone there than nothing would have happened. Case solved 500B fine. But good to see such a good pic of the offenders face so I can recognize him next time I am in the area, what a dumb ass.

Why is he not pointing?

How can we tell he is the guilty party if he isn't pointing?

Now I am confused, is the guy in front the policeman meating out justice or the culprit.

Come on people get it right!

The 'meat' appears to be on the guy in the pink shirt.

Just another day when a farang gets scammed, assaulted and or killed.... LOS "Land of Stupidity".... I am NOT Thai bashing, a lot of farang are a holes, but when will the violence stop in this strictly predominant Buddhist country!!!! SHAME Thailand and shame on the lame Authorities, you should hang your heads in disgrace, you are clearly failing!

When all the violence stops in that predominantly Christian country the United States, or to out it another way, when it snows in Bangkok.

• Like 1

That gets my vote for arrest photo of the year so far, bloody classic. I bet if the Russian had stabbed the Thai he wouldn't be pulling a similar pose... if he was still alive of coursewhistling.gif

I'm pretty sure that the pic. of the perp is not his 'arrest pic' but and old one when he actually was the Junior National Muay Thai champion??!! Of course, I could be wrong!!

• Like 1

I believe him. From my experience of politely declining or ignoring hundreds of requests to buy a watch and not being stabbed, I find it at least as plausible as the Ruskies story.

As frustrated I get with street hustlers I just ignore them with a polite no thanks. The trick is not to look them in the eye. That is a sign, to them, that they have partly got you, all they need to do then is finish the kill. They are all good at, from the old Yia's down to the kids. But please do not lose sight of their plight, poverty.

The watch sellers that I really hate are the Pakistanis outside the Regency Park Hotel in Soi 22 Sukhumvit. They are a pain. When I see them set their sights on me, I wave them off before they can open their mouth or pull out their fake from their bum bag. Before I started doing this I had been offered a watch from the same guy 4 times in one afternoon. Determination, or do all us falang look the same ? These guys have no work permits and come in on a regular basis in teams, with their merchandise.

The problem with many foreigners in Thailand is they seem in desperate need of anger management counseling. I don't avoid eye contact, unless I'm completely ignoring them, I just look them in the eye and say no (with a smile). Sometimes I just point out the watch on my wrist and tell them I already have a very nice watch. In 15 years, not stabbed (physically or verbally) once.

All this is all a charade to show.. nothing will come out of it, as the Mafia in Pattaya pays the

police big time, they go thru all this song and dance for the media benefits....

Do you know how ridiculously stupid you come across as being?

The jails in Thailand are full of people like this guy who wish you were right.

Once you hit the papers here and charges are made you my smart assed friends are going to court and if you are found guilt you are going to jail if the punishment fits the crime.

The guy is known to the police and has a history of violence..............in other words he's been arrested before and most likely been fined or spent time in jail.

What could possibly make you think he could walk away from this free and easy if he hasn't in the past?

Aggressive, drunk Russian, stabby Thai vendor.

Difficult to decide who to believe but I'm inclined to side with the Thai on this one, based on my observations of Russians interacting with the locals, or interacting with anyone else for that matter.

• Like 1

I have seen this guy in front of Starbucks several times. I think the Russian must have provoked him really bad for him to use the knife. And believe me, they are all carrying knifes so its not a good idea to start a fight as the Russian probably did.

Edited by balo
  • Like 1

I ask those blokes for their work permit as i can't buy off a crim.They don't like smart arse's and don't ask me any more either,that day,at least.

Let's see the facts.

Let's say I am a former Thai Kick Boxing Champion, and I encounter a drunken middle aged Russian Man, who besides drunk probably physically out of shape. In his stupid drunken rage he throws a chair at me, so I would leave him alone, which I obviously duck, as I am not injured.

I could probably just walk away, or at the very least kick the living crap out of him, but instead I pull a knife and go after him. Because....because...because I am afraid for me life?

I don't think so Partner! .

• Like 1

Say what? Fake Watches sold in Thailand... I don't believe it. I remember Lady Gaga getting criticized for saying she was looking forward to buying a fake Rolex on her visit. The authorities wanted her to take back her words and swore this kind of practice does not exist. I'll say it... lies, all lies...fake is the name of game. One major department store in BKK repacks goods from China (they're labeled) in brand name boxes right out on the floor, during work hours. Yet the store is packed every day with Arab tourist buying the goods as real. Oh my...we live in magical times.

Nono, the seller is fake, not the watches. The article clearly states the the guy is fake.

LOSS OF FACE

These watch sellers "loose face" when you reject their sales pitch

I personally get sick of having FAKE watches put in my face which happens to most tourists about 5-10 times a day in the south pattaya tourist zone, If you 'shoe' them away with your hand they can get quite angry about the loss of face

The big Q now is WHAT WILL HAPPEN TO THE SELLER/STABBER.. What would have happened if the Russian had died???

When you stab a knife into someones body you are possibly going to kill them.