Is There A Way To Avoid Leaving Every 90 Days?

I'm Canadian, married to Thai wife, in our 20's. We want to move back to Thailand soon. We're really trying to get away from the rat race of North America, so the less running around I have to do the better. I have 2 questions that I can't find answers to:

1. Am I required to leave every 90 days with a Non-O visa, or does the one year extension allow me to stay in the country for 1 year (with 90 day reporting to the immigration office)?

2. Can I let 400,000 Baht sit in a bank account to fulfill my financial obligation each year, or do I need a "new" 400,000 Baht transfered into the account each year?

Clearly I'm new here, so these topics have probably been discussed at length, but I would appreciate any information. Thanks alot

1. Yes. If your extension is approved, you can stay for 1 year without having to leave the country every 90 days, but just as you write, you are obliged to report to Immigration every 90 days.

2. You can not let the 400,000 "sit", the money is intended to be used actively for your "support of Thai citizen", and Immigration have the authority to check that this requirement is fulfilled with your Thai bank. A fresh 400 000 baht transferred in from abroad to a Thai bank account, every year, is what is required.

Since you are of working age, you also need to show proof of employment.

1. Yes. If your extension is approved, you can stay for 1 year without having to leave the country every 90 days, but just as you write, you are obliged to report to Immigration every 90 days.

2. You can not let the 400,000 "sit", the money is intended to be used actively for your "support of Thai citizen", and Immigration have the authority to check that this requirement is fulfilled with your Thai bank. A fresh 400 000 baht transferred in from abroad to a Thai bank account, every year, is what is required.

Since you are of working age, you also need to show proof of employment.

So even if my wife has a source of income that could support both of us and I don't need to touch the original deposit, I still have to come up with an additional 400k every year?

(Don't get me wrong - I plan on working. But if my wife can support me, then do I really need to meet the financial requirements to "support" my wife? --- And I thought it was a convoluted process to immigrate to Canada from Thailand! :o )

The primary reason for the 400,000 (+) in the bank at each 1 year renewal

is to show that you have some funds and can support yourself/wife.

However, Immigration will not go through your account to see if you did indeed

spend K400. Having said that they do expect you to draw on that money to

some degree. Also they do not expect you to bring in exactly K400 every year.

Naka.

The category for a one year extension of stay is "support Thai wife" which is stamped into your passport; and that means exactly what is says. There are other categories for visa extensions but nothing that would make having a wife support you an easy option. The thinking is that a wife will follow the husband who will support the wife and unless working in Thailand will take her to his country to do so.

thanks for the info - i definitely understand why the rules are in place. if they weren't, the flood gates would open pretty quickly. I'm just trying to get a better feel for the nuances of the system. all the comments so far have helped. thanks again.

Having renewed my Thai wife support visa just last week I would like to point out that in fact you do not need 400,000 baht in the bank provided you can show an income (pensions from abroad in my case) of over 40,000 baht a month or a combination of the two.

The lady at immigration asked me for the exchange rate of the UK pound to the baht and another lady also answered that it was 70 baht to the pound.

In my case I had less a lot than 400,000 in the bank but my pensions covered the income anyway.

Unless they check how much income went through my bank accounts during the one month period between applying for the extension and getting the stamp then there will be no problem.

Having succeeded with your visa application you can then get a multi re-entry visa if you will be leaving Thailand or report to the Immigration every 90 days if you don't leave the country.

Please note that the 90 day report is from the day you entered Thailand and every 90 days after and NOT from the date of your visa application approval. I know that from experience.

Edited by billd766

Please note that the 90 day report is from the day you entered Thailand and every 90 days after and NOT from the date of your visa application approval. I know that from experience.

No longer true. Your first extension of stay is your first address report. Time starts from then for the first time only. Every other time it will start on your entry/TM.6 arrival.

The first application for extension of stay by the foreigner is equivalent to the notification of staying in the Kingdom over 90 days.