Just bought some land in Hang Dong

Kunjay

"Unless the said land was purchased solely with with Thai wife`s money, than both you and your wife have committed an illegal act."

Absolute rubbish.

that is not even close to how the law reads.

Buying land under a Thai name is but one's wife can own as much land as she wants and can get the money wherever she wants to.

You often peddle this garbage and its getting old.

A farang may own the following types of properties:

1) a condominium.

2) a house as a structure, having no interest on the land on which it sits

3) one rai (or less) of land, provided at least 40 million baht is brought into the country, and permission is obtained from the Minister of the Interior.

4) If purchase of the land is bought under a registered company that meets all the imposed requirements of the foreigner business and company acts.

if a Thai wife buys land in her name, she has to sign a legal binding document to say that you (farang) have not funded the purchase, which effectively means you have no claim on it. This is a legal declaration. The law stipulates that marital assets should be split 50/50 in the case of a divorce, or in the event of the Thai wife dies, 100% goes to the farang husband but he must sell the land within 12 months, unless the legal declaration signed at the land office on land purchase inception can be proven to have been contravened. For example if the wife`s relatives make claims and contest the legitimate ownership of the land by the farang husband and in some cases if the land purchase is proven to have been obtained illegally, the court can impose an order for the land confiscation by the appropriate authorities, that may also pertain if the authorities decided to have a purge on illegal foreign behind the scenes land owners.

As I said; no one may notice, until problems or any disputes arise.

"Also clearly you havn't seen land prices in CM recently. You think you can get 1 rai anywhere near the city for 1.6m HAHAHAHAA."

First of all CM isn't a city it is a province. Hangdong is 15 minutes outside of Muang CM, and I said 10 minutes outside of amphur hang dong, you can find land for 250k a rai.

Where I live in CM province in Saraphi about 15 minute drive from the holiday inn, you can get 1 rai for less than 1 million but it would need to be filled. Land is more if it has electricity and water.

The owner wanted 2.8 million for my house we offered 2.2 and got it. That is a 4 bedroom 2 story house on 1/2 rai. House only 5 years old. so yes deals are to be found.

There are many places to get reasonably priced land, there are a lot more places to get overpriced land.

So when you said it was expensive unless it was is the city central you were referring to HangDong city....gee how did I miss that one????

"if a Thai wife buys land in her name, she has to sign a legal binding document to say that you (farang) have not funded the purchase, which effectively means you have no claim on it."

Not true. I am in the landbook and cosigned the loan.

Edited by zeichen

"if a Thai wife buys land in her name, she has to sign a legal binding document to say that you (farang) have not funded the purchase, which effectively means you have no claim on it."

Landbook? Is that something they invented overnight?

"sister high up in the government helps too."

Really, don't brag that your wife's sister is a security at a local amphur. No one gives a crap.

If she isn't mayor or governor, which she isn't, then she isn't high up anything.

I hate braggards, especially when it has nothing to do with anything. Unless you are admitting on a public forum that your in law is corrupt and uses her power to get her family advantage.

Besides that bosting on your part how succesful a wife you have, the story is great. Just because there are morons on here that tear you down, you don't need to inflate your ego or situation by boasting.

Why do guys need to give their wive's resume to justify the validity of their relationship?

While I agree with you in general, I think those statements are misplaced in this story. Rather the op was honest and indicated his own wife was not "high up", and thus negotiations were better done by somebody other than his own wife. It just added a little to a slightly amusing story and is nothing to berate the op with. Best of luck to him with the new land.

• Like 1

Wrong, totally wrong.

The Thai authorities have caught on to this ploy long ago.

Firstly, under Thai law, monies and assets legally owned by both spouses meaning assets permitted to be owned by farangs in Thailand are jointly the property of the married couple. A husband cannot loan that under the law his wife has a 50% share of or perhaps will inherit 100% of the husband`s assets if in the event the husband dies, unless perhaps under extraordinary circumstances if the couple are estranged or divorced or some of the assets belonged to one spouse or the other prior to their marriage, such as vehicles, pets and chattels for example.

Even if possible, a legal agreement by a lawyer would have to be drawn up and the Thai wife having to show evidence that she has the collateral to cover the loan in her own right, if in the event she defaulted on payments or she is working at an establish company in secure employment and earning a wage to pay back the loan, plus a reasonable time period would have to be imposed. The land would still be considered as the farang husband`s money if the marital home was used as collateral for himself pertaining to his wife on a non timescale basis. In the event of a divorce case, who owes to who and who owns what would be at the discretion of the judge and usually in these circumstances the judge will rule in favour of the Thai.

Which means, it`s back to square one for you as I explained previous.

3) Contact real estate agents in from the area who show you various properties. With this situation the agent showed us a block of land in Hang Dong 3 nagn we liked at a price of 1.5mill baht. The neighbor was kind enough to give us the owners phone number behind the agents back.

So the Real Estate agent does their job, and does it well - in fact finding you a perfect piece of land you like. And you cut them out?

All you guys saying you dont own your land or house maybe technically you are right but if you are married then you are entitled to 50% if you get divorced that is thai law most gusy seem to just walk away but they are entitled to 50% I even know a guy that was awarded the whole property because he proved he paid for it

For all you Saddos out there that are raining on this guys parade just means you have not met the right person I know TONS of guys myself included who have been happily married for YEARS AND YEARS who have invested in land and homes

Edited by DiamondKing
  • Like 2

Interesting story and I am sure you know you cannot own land unless you are Thai?

Sounds like you just gave your wife a nice gift for her to do whatever she wants. I will wait on your next chapter to see how she manages the property for you.... it is surely out of your hands now because you have absolutely no rights to it as a land owner. Bye bye 1.6 million TB

Interesting story and I am sure you know you cannot own land unless you are Thai?

Sounds like you just gave your wife a nice gift for her to do whatever she wants. I will wait on your next chapter to see how she manages the property for you.... it is surely out of your hands now because you have absolutely no rights to it as a land owner. Bye bye 1.6 million TB

Your talking out ya a.s.s he has a right to 50% if they split

Additionally if he wants he can have her lease him the land and then build the house in HIS OWN NAME this way she owns the land he owns the house and he has the right to abode while the lease is in effect even if they split.

that may not technically be correct if they are married but if your not married then that should definately be the way to go

Edited by DiamondKing

Nasty.

All you guys saying you dont own your land or house maybe technically you are right but if you are married then you are entitled to 50% if you get divorced that is thai law most gusy seem to just walk away but they are entitled to 50% I even know a guy that was awarded the whole property because he proved he paid for it

For all you Saddos out there that are raining on this guys parade just means you have not met the right person I know TONS of guys myself included who have been happily married for YEARS AND YEARS who have invested in land and homes

This is a true and tragic story that even today makes me grieve thinking about it.

12 years ago I had a Canadian friend, a most kind and warm person who had happily lived in Chiang Mai with his lovely Thai wife for several years. He bought 7 rai of land where they paid staff to grow lum yai and what he believed was an investment and a 3 rai plot of land where the couple built a huge 5 bedroom house on the plot. My friend was in his late 60s at the time and the money he a invested in all the land and property was a huge chunk of his life savings.

Tragically his wife was killed in a traffic accident, run down by a pick up truck. Within a week after the funeral his wife`s ever loving family turned up on his doorstep making claims to his 7 rai plot of land, 3 rai plot of land, his house and even his vehicle that for some reason he registered in his brother in law`s name.

To cut a long story short, his case went on for 2 years and finally at the last civil court hearing it concluded that the judge awarded all his land to his late wife`s siblings, on agreement that my friend could stay in the house for as long as he was in Thailand. He planned to make an appeal but less than 1 year later my friend suffered a massive stroke and died. We believed that his cause of death was due to not only losing his wife but also all the expense and stress he endured doing battle with his wife`s family. And this has been my whole point, everything maybe fine until the unexpected or problems occur and regarding your friend who was awarded 50% of his property by the court, this all depends on the circumstances and at the discretion of the judge so it`s really a case of good luck to all who sail in her.

Edited by Beetlejuice
  • Like 1

This is a true and tragic story that even today makes me grieve thinking about it.

12 years ago I had a Canadian friend, a most kind and warm person who had happily lived in Chiang Mai with his lovely Thai wife for several years. He bought 7 rai of land where they paid staff to grow lum yai and what he believed was an investment and a 3 rai plot of land where the couple built a huge 5 bedroom house on the plot. My friend was in his late 60s at the time and the money he a invested in all the land and property was a huge chunk of his life savings.

Tragically his wife was killed in a traffic accident, run down by a pick up truck. Within a week after the funeral his wife`s ever loving family turned up on his doorstep making claims to his 7 rai plot of land, 3 rai plot of land, his house and even his vehicle that for some reason he registered in his brother in law`s name.

To cut a long story short, his case went on for 2 years and finally at the last civil court hearing it concluded that the judge awarded all his land to his late wife`s siblings, on agreement that my friend could stay in the house for as long as he was in Thailand. He planned to make an appeal but less than 1 year later my friend suffered a massive stroke and died. We believed that his cause of death was due to not only losing his wife but also all the expense and stress he endured doing battle with his wife`s family. And this has been my whole point, everything maybe fine until the unexpected or problems occur and regarding your friend who was awarded 50% of his property by the court, this all depends on the circumstances and at the discretion of the judge so it`s really a case of good luck to all who sail in her.

Pretty sure a basic will would have covered his ass there !

Jeez----I'm sorry I even opened this thread--apologies to 'Kunjay' for all the bitter, nasty and frankly, unnecessary posts.

Many years ago,[14 in fact] I bought land, in Thai wife's name, built a house--had a separation and sold the house and land for a sizable profit--no big issue, no rip-offs, everyone happy. End of story--it doesn't always end in tears. I did make sure that I had, what I felt was, a very good contract with my wife prior to buying the land.

• Like 2