Why isn't the Skytrain free?

Tasty Food

It's sad because people are afraid to make eye contact these days and nobody dare speak to a stranger or start a conversation.

No one wants to talk to creepy strangers on the skytrain. Thankfully we have phones now so I can more easily ignore weirdos

Okay.

Now what?

How about going away and thinking of another insulting, patronizing, shameful, ghastly, outrageous, aggressive, infantile (to use your words) subject to rant nonsensically about?

...or else <deleted> off (your words again).

Edited by Sviss Geez
  • Like 2

It's sad because people are afraid to make eye contact these days and nobody dare speak to a stranger or start a conversation.

No one wants to talk to creepy strangers on the skytrain. Thankfully we have phones now so I can more easily ignore weirdos

I too find it odd that weirdos seem to think they have a divine right to pester complete strangers with banal attempts at conversation.

Headphones are indeed the best defence.

Someone was killed at Mo Chit a month or so ago and there was a fatality at Phra Khanong a month or so before then. The extra gates are necessary. As for the adverts, they're a pleasant distraction and a small price to pay for a spotlessly clean transport experience. I'll be happy if I never have to take the disgusting London Underground again!

• Like 2

Is this guy trying to impress us with fancy words or he had an argument with his wife/gf last night?

OP, stick to your Tasty Food and don't try to torture us with nonsense posts.

What fancy words? What's the nonsense part? Which part of him saying that he feels advertising on the BTS has reached an intrusive level did you struggle with..? Does everything have to be dumbed down to your level now..?

I don't really agree with the OP- I think this level of advertising is sadly a price to pay for cheaper fares and expansion- but then I don't know the profit margins or costs of the BTSC who run it either.

OP you got me thinking.

Why isn't xyz free they have adverts.

Why isn't xyx free they have adverts.

Why isn't a xyz free they have adverts.

Oh , just realised it helps reducing the cost to the consumer.

You could always go on the BTS with a bunch of balloons.

Pretty sure you might get a free trip then.

Oh Ps.

Did I entertain you or should I xyz off ?

Pray Tell

Edited by N47HAN

Your A little strange.Your lucky you aren't being charged for the air you breathe.I gladly pay the money that the BTS charges.I don't do well with traffic jams.If your not happy with paying money in Thailand go back to your home country.

As for me it wouldn't bother me if they raise the price again.If Ya want free go and walk.

• Like 2

Tasty Food, your post is well thought, although its last line isn't really appropriate.

You mentioned London and Tokyo as a subway comparison where ads are static and not invading, but bear in mind that Thais don't have the same sociological and cultural backgrounds as western and/or advanced countries. While some locals may find ads a bit too invasive, the rest of them find it tasteful and don't even think about it, as commercials aren't negatively perceived ads as in western countries. TV and screen Ads are relatively new to them and they are still open to ad tag lines and stories. Ads are a great and comfortable ways to avoid eye contact as well, something quite important here.

Plus, it's not a government owned company, so the more money they make the better.

I think that pretty much answers your question.

Edited by Will2011

Well I don't get on the thing to make conversation either, but compared to London where I am from or Chicago (where my wife is from) it's a somewhat sterile and miserable experience.

I can see that unity and friendliness is encouraged here! smile.png

You say you are from London, it does have a wonderful underground system but the filth of the carriages and the rubbish on the floors make me need a bath after travelling on it and the body odour of some of the passengers is obnoxious, I know England is a cool climate but surely deodorant and bathing more than once a week is not to hard.( I am a born and bred East Londoner but left 44 years ago to live in Aussie and now live in Thailand ) and was shocked at the condition of the London underground and not a rubbish bin to be found anywhere.

I travelled on the sky train a couple of weeks ago and was impressed with the standard of cleanlyness of the carriages and the passengers and they have rubbish bins under the seats, people were polite and if you smiled at them they smiled back without any embarrassment, the young gave up their seats to the old and pregnant and were well behaved.

Someone was killed at Mo Chit a month or so ago and there was a fatality at Phra Khanong a month or so before then. The extra gates are necessary. As for the adverts, they're a pleasant distraction and a small price to pay for a spotlessly clean transport experience. I'll be happy if I never have to take the disgusting London Underground again!

Yes it could be cleaner, but when you consider the incredible network of train lines and how many people it moves daily underneath the city, it's quite amazing.

Yes it could be cleaner, but when you consider the incredible network of train lines and how many people it moves daily underneath the city, it's quite amazing.

Absolutely. I commuted on the District Line for 8 years and for 10 years on the Victoria and Northern Lines, and the network is incredible. But it's hot, over-crowded, smelly, and decrepit and the waits for trains at nights and weekends are ridiculous. Plus the chance of getting mugged or beaten up in the labyrinth of stations and tunnels is very high, not to mention the extortionate prices (4 quid to go one stop!).

The BTS (and MRT) is a joy.

Edited by brewsterbudgen
  • Like 1

lucky you weren't here 4 or 5 years ago when they installed tv screens and powerful speakers at several central bangkok bus stops. they were very loud! you can still see them now fallen into disrepair and thankfully silent - probably because the budget for upkeep and servicing was skimmed off the top whistling.gif

no one forces you to use the skytrain, you could walk or take the bus.

• Like 1

If you want to talk about intrusive advertising, many Thai variety shows, game shows and chat shows are choc-a-bloc full of advertising which only stops when the show takes a commercial break. Figure that one out. blink.png