The Power Of A Thai Driving Licence.

Graemej100

Well, it did actually. Probably a childish thought but with all the usual governmental rigmarole you have to go through in this country, from visa renewals to opening bank accounts etc and the time involved in doing so, this was a refreshing change.

As an expat, Thai driver licenses are a must.

I also got stopped 2 times over the last 7 days, and then sent on my way again.

Now because of the cold weather, I started wearing jeans when riding scooter and never been stopped since.

• Like 1

I presume you've all heard of the tourist checks on Sukhumvit road in Bangkok recently. I must have been stopped at least 5 times, usually on the back of a bike going home after a night out. All I hear is passport, where you go etc I say not one word, show my Thai drivers license and on my way I go. It must be said they do come in handy and now I carry it at times driving/riding or not.

• Like 1

The police do tend to look at you differently once you produce a Thai license. They realize you're not a tourist. Sometimes when I show them my license they ask me where I work. After I tell them I'm a teacher they let me go.

Probably one of the few advantages to being a teacher in this country laugh.png

You can also use the Thai driver's license to rent cars in the United states and other countries. Also...I got stopped by a cop in St Louis four months ago right after the Ferguson riots started...stopped without cause I might add. You should have seen the cop's face when I pulled out my Thai driver's license.

You can also use the Thai driver's license to rent cars in the United states and other countries. Also...I got stopped by a cop in St Louis four months ago right after the Ferguson riots started...stopped without cause I might add. You should have seen the cop's face when I pulled out my Thai driver's license.

In the U.S. it depends on the "state" you are in whether a foreign license is acceptable for X time period or an International Drivers License is needed. Best to check the state law first if planning on driving in a certain state with your Thai/foreign license. If renting a car the rental car company should know, but they may only know for the state you are renting in; take the car into another state on your visit and you could get an unwelcomed surprise if getting stopped by the police.

Traffic cops try to get an extra income during high season and chase tourists daily, as a local with Thai ID you're just wasting their precious time.

Edited by balo

Any licence is used by police as a bargaining tool. They take your licence then 'sell' it back to you for 200 baht. I now give them my full wallet with the licence in a transparent plastic sleeve. They do not know how to abstract the licence; cannot be seen to be pocketing the wallet so I'm home free.

• Like 1

it works at many other countries and as I lost my license from my home country, there i use thai driving license instead which is good!

and it differentiates you from all shirtless tourist and always no or less hassle with the police when there is a serious check point.

still sometime prefer to say I lost it or forgot it at home. it saves a visit to police station to get your license back.

It's a must to have a driving license. At least it gives me more confidence when handling with police.

But, when I get stopped for whatever unreasonable reason I do not handle my driving license at first but try to argue what is the issue.

Handling the license is a guarantee tea money for them.

why cant they put both licences on one?

That would require one to be able to think logically and rationally. Have you forgotten what country you are living in? biggrin.png

I look at it thusly; how many people get both licenses at the same time initially? Thus they'd have to print the first one (in SE Asia I'd reckon that's the bike one) and then take it back and destroy it when the dual one is printed. Two are printed anyways. Of course, heading forward you end up printing an extra license each year but "eat and drink for tomorrow we die"....