Laptop problem.....

piston broke

I'm hoping one of the teccie members can help me....

i've got an Acer Aspire laptop, running Windows 7.

not used it for a few weeks - last time i used it, everything AOK...

This morning fired it up - get message that Windows cannot run and do i want to run Windows repair...select that, but after several minutes get message that it can't repair the problem.

is there some way i can start the machine up and stop it running and change the date to a few weeks back ?

any help would be most appreciated....

First, boot up in CMOS Setup (F2 ??) and check the clock time to verify that the cmos battery is OK.

Did the machine come with Windows installes (install-key sticker on bottom) or was a retail version installed? If retail, do you still have the DVD?

Just changing the BIOS date/time won't help the laptop boot up if Windows is corrupted or the hard drive is failing. I think the the OP is asking how he could get the laptop to boot and then try to restore software to an earlier date.

Look here

Genuine Windows or not? Full model number of machine?

have looked, but it seems to show you the process once the machine is running - my problem is that it won't load...

i bought the laptop second hand 6 months ago - just looked at the underside of the machine and no sticker (and i wasn't given a windows cd) - so i assume must be a copy.

Look here

have looked, but it seems to show you the process once the machine is running - my problem is that it won't load...

i bought the laptop second hand 6 months ago - just looked at the underside of the machine and no sticker (and i wasn't given a windows cd) - so i assume must be a copy.

You didn't read properly. There are Safe Mode options.

Where is the full model number that I requested?

Edited by Jiu-Jitsu

First, boot up in CMOS Setup (F2 ??) and check the clock time to verify that the cmos battery is OK.

Did the machine come with Windows installes (install-key sticker on bottom) or was a retail version installed? If retail, do you still have the DVD?

this sounds interesting.......the computer hasn't been plugged into the mains whilst not in use, so possibly the battery is completely flat....does that mean if the clock time is wrnog, the machine won't fire up ??

EDIT - just tried it (F2) and the clock is ticking along (the date says 2008 - is that the date of the computer ??).......

Edited by piston broke

Look here

You didn't read properly. There are Safe Mode options.

Where is the full model number that I requested?

Model - Aspire 4530 - 721G 25Mn

The reason for checking the CMOS Clock in setup is to verify the state of the CMOS Battery. If the clock is way wrong then it's possible the CMOS state parameters that dictate the boot process are probably corrupted and need to be reset (after changing out for a fresh CMOS Battery).

Edited by RichCor

Take it ti a honest technician. To re-install Windows if necessary.....XP is my favorite, easy to run and fix. I did to replace the Thai version for an English one. Will cost you about 300THB.

If you bought it second hand, the system may be low in memory or HD space because too many pictures and/ or movies were unloaded. Also music.

After the computer is running again install Picasa for free. That program will retrieve all media to check, keep or delete.I bought a second hand laptop from a young Thai that was running very slow. Picasa found more than a 1000 pictures and 300 short movies that I cannot find looking in all files.. After deleting all, the computer is runs very well.

Edited by umbanda

Take it ti a honest technician. To re-install Windows if necessary.....XP is my favorite, easy to run and fix. I did to replace the Thai version for an English one. Will cost you about 300THB.

If you bought it second hand, the system may be low in memory or HD space because too many pictures and/ or movies were unloaded. Also music.

After the computer is running again install Picasa for free. That program will retrieve all media to check, keep or delete.I bought a second hand laptop from a young Thai that was running very slow. Picasa found more than a 1000 pictures and 300 short movies that I cannot find looking in all files.. After deleting all, the computer is runs very well.

Don't install XP, it is riddled with security holes and gets worse every month.

• Like 1

You're confusing CMOS (Complementary metal-oxide semiconductor) with BIOS (Basic Input/Output System).

CMOS is used to store basic settings about your computer, configured via the BIOS, and retained by battery.

Have you set the clock in BIOS (using F2) and is the Date/Time sticking (staying correct)? If not, then change the coin size battery for a new one before you begin anything. Correct BIOS Settings (drive detection, RAM memory size, etc.) are important for the computer to access Basic Hardware and successfully begin and complete the boot process. If the settings are corrupt then the boot process will be off.

So... after setting the Date/Time in BIOS (CMOS), what happens when you start up the computer? How far does it get and what message is displayed?

After a couple of boot tries, can you press F8 a bunch of times while the computer tries to boot? Does this give you a menu?

When the computer is booting, press and hold the Shift key, and tap the F8 key repeatedly until the Recovery screen appears.

You may need to try the process several times as the 'window of opportunity' to use the F8 key is very short.

If you just want to use it quick and easy, have a friend load Linux puppy on a thumb drive. Boot off the USB and it loads into RAM. Faster and safer than pirated windows. Also legal. You can then access all the files on the hard drive....

Once Puppy loads, Install the Linux Boot Menu. It will include Windows, if windows is already installed.

Do not install Linux Puppy on your hard drive at at all. Remember ..just install that on a USB Thumb Drive. It is free, and the thumb drive is about 200 baht.

You man never use windows again...with that puppy.,.....but you have the option of using either. Nice to run a laptop without the hard drive. Save power on battery.

So...how is it looking? You should run chkdsk on the drive.

Which version of Windows are you running exactly? 32 bit or 64 bit?

how ?

With a disc, once you let me know which version.

You need to create a DVD or bootable USB drive from this image of Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1.

Do you know how to do so?

Once created, you can boot off the disk and look here for guidance. It shows you how to select Command Prompt wherein you can select chkdsk /r

Do you have data that you need to save?

Don't install XP, it is riddled with security holes and gets worse every month.

It's like throwing your car away and drive with a bicycle Rikscha /