Basic education for adult thais

WorkingTourist

The Non-formal Education Centres. There's one out at Mae Rim, and there are others. They cover M.1-6 in two years... badly, but at least the student gets the piece of paper at the end. I expect they have literacy classes too, but I've never had any occasion to find out about those.

I helped one student to go to NFE. He had left P.6 to go to work at age 13, and was now 19 or 20. He did M.1-6 there, went on to Vocational College, and gained his Higher Diploma in two years.

• Like 2

The Non-formal Education Centres. There's one out at Mae Rim, and there are others. They cover M.1-6 in two years... badly, but at least the student gets the piece of paper at the end. I expect they have literacy classes too, but I've never had any occasion to find out about those.

I helped one student to go to NFE. He had left P.6 to go to work at age 13, and was now 19 or 20. He did M.1-6 there, went on to Vocational College, and gained his Higher Diploma in two years.

Thanks, I was able to find https://plus.google.com/104596331340857533080/about — is that the one?

Thanks, I was able to find https://plus.google.com/104596331340857533080/about — is that the one?

Yes, that's the place. Here's a streetview: http://goo.gl/maps/iGNIa

Depends on what you want. There are places that will give weekend classes and then issue a certificate upon completion, as mentioned above. I am not convinced of the actual educational value of these, but the people do attend classes.

Otherwise....if you just want this person to learn, get them a tutor.

Depends on what you want. There are places that will give weekend classes and then issue a certificate upon completion, as mentioned above. I am not convinced of the actual educational value of these, but the people do attend classes.

Otherwise....if you just want this person to learn, get them a tutor.

Learning is definitely the goal. If you have suggestions as to where qualified tutors can be found, I would be very interested in that option as well.

Yes, Thai adults with limited schooling ( I think those who completed the compulsory three years to age 15 but check out the post above) can get a secondary school (matayom) diploma. In Chiang Mai, just check with the municipal "non-formal" library on the NW corner of the moat. The offices used to be in a building behind that library. Lessons in Chiang Mai used to be taught at Wat Santitam; perhaps still so. Also strongly recommended to get a tutor. A good one is usually available at about 300 baht an hour. (OP, I do not have any specific recommendations, at this time)

The quality of teaching is probably "average" for a regular school, but a well-motivated student should do well. The discipline of regular classes is worth it ---with the self-discipline to attend them. Just having a tutor might lead to some "slacking off."

My understanding is that this type of diploma does qualify the graduate for further education, as indicated in a post above.

This information might be somewhat out of date.

Edited by Mapguy