Permanent residence applications now being accepted 14-30 January 2015

Do they potentially accept people on Retirement and or ED visas?

No they don't. You must be working and if you don't want or need to work, pay handsomely to pretend you are.

Once one is accepted do you still have to pay some fees every year?

I am guessing you would still need to get re-entry "permit"?

Yes you do and perhaps you have missed the outrageous fee to be paid.

Understand, one may think "hey just let me ask about this PR thingie", doesn't bother to read back, sure..

Is it being said that one must apply by Jan. 30 of this year, to be accepted during this year?

And how long does the process usually take?

Do they potentially accept people on Retirement and or ED visas?

Once one is accepted do you still have to pay some fees every year?

I am guessing you would still need to get re-entry "permit"?

Has anyone "run the numbers" on various scenarios?

How many years would you need to stay in Thailand before PR is cheaper than say a Retirement visa or Spouse visa, or work permit?

Usually up to 5 or 6 years these days but some people applied in Dec 2007 and have heard nothing to date.

No retirement or ED visas. Only people working legally in Thailand.

You still have to pay some fees annually for re-entry visa and endorsement in residence book, if you want to travel outside the country. Around B5,000 a year. If you don't want to travel abroad, there is no need to pay anything.

No point in trying to compute a break even point. You won't live long enough to save money and you still need a WP. It is not cheap but you pay for the right to live in Thailand for the rest of your life. Other visas are only temporary and you might not qualify any more in future but they are good enough for most.

• Like 1

Thanks folks!

So wow, no ED or retirement visa people allowed to apply.

And people are still waiting five or six years later to know if they have been accepted?!?!

Seems a bit bizarre...

It may sound bizarre but it is all based on history. The law is the Immigration Act of 1979 but that was not changed much from the original immigration act of 1927. Then they had hundreds and thousands of Chinese labourers arriving every year and they gave residence to anyone who could prove he had a profession and earn a living in Thailand. Later, in the 50s, they wanted to limit Chinese immigration when they were worried about a communist 5th column and they imposed the quota of 100 per nationality per year. The wording of the law has not changed, even though work permits, extensions based on marriage or retirement, ED visas and other novelties were introduced.

Thanks folks!

So wow, no ED or retirement visa people allowed to apply.

And people are still waiting five or six years later to know if they have been accepted?!?!

Seems a bit bizarre...

This is Thailand, just have to go with the flow. Applied in 2007 and still waiting. I found out 3 years ago that they forgot to submit my application to the Interior ministry because it was lost in a pile somewhere. Now waiting for the next round of approvals. Actually in a way, waiting for approval has given me 7 years of free and very easy extensions so I am not complaining. In fact if and when I get approved I will need to pay 200K for very marginal benefits which I could easily lose if I forget or in an emergency cannot follow the proper reentry process.

Just curious.. Are they still giving out PR for bringing in 40 mil (or was it 1 mil USD as it was @40 to the THB then) ?? had to be here for 5 years..

I remember a mate on Phuket went this route.. Couldnt speak a word of Thai, didnt do any of the hoops, 100% for sure had PR but also said he could buy a rai of land (he didnt he had his land in company names).

Is that process still legit ??

Actually in a way, waiting for approval has given me 7 years of free and very easy extensions so I am not complaining.

Thats a good point.. Its not like the waiting process is as much of a hassle when viewed this way..

Can you leave the country for periods of time ??

What happens if your working when you apply.. But stop working during the application period.

Just curious.. Are they still giving out PR for bringing in 40 mil (or was it 1 mil USD as it was @40 to the THB then) ?? had to be here for 5 years..

I remember a mate on Phuket went this route.. Couldnt speak a word of Thai, didnt do any of the hoops, 100% for sure had PR but also said he could buy a rai of land (he didnt he had his land in company names).

I think you are confusing the 1999 amendment to the Land Code that allowed foreigners investing B40 million in approved investments to buy one rai of land for residential purposes. The conditions of this are such that I don't believe anyone has ever been able to do it.

As far as I know, there has never been any route to PR that involves an investment of B40 million. There is an investment category for business investors but the conditions are not much different from those for applicants who a normal employees in some one else's comany. Investors need to be employed in the business they have invested in and it is probably easier for them to apply as normal employees.

The requirement to be able to speak Thai was only introduced during the Thaksin regime in the early 2000s by his xenophobic interior minister, Purachai, or Mr Social Order, who also bought land in New Zealand, got residence there and sent all his kids to NZ schools. Before that you were allowed to use an interpreter.

Actually in a way, waiting for approval has given me 7 years of free and very easy extensions so I am not complaining.

Thats a good point.. Its not like the waiting process is as much of a hassle when viewed this way..

Can you leave the country for periods of time ??

What happens if your working when you apply.. But stop working during the application period.

It's OK to retire or get fired once you have completed all the procedures in applying for PR, including the interviews. This is not the case when applying for citizenship for which you need to remain in employment to the bitter end.

THAIJAMES' status is almost as good as PR without having to pay the fees for the annual re-entry visa and residence book endorsements.

• Like 1

I think you are confusing the 1999 amendment to the Land Code that allowed foreigners investing B40 million in approved investments to buy one rai of land for residential purposes. The conditions of this are such that I don't believe anyone has ever been able to do it.

As far as I know, there has never been any route to PR that involves an investment of B40 million. There is an investment category for business investors but the conditions are not much different from those for applicants who a normal employees in some one else's comany. Investors need to be employed in the business they have invested in and it is probably easier for them to apply as normal employees.

The requirement to be able to speak Thai was only introduced during the Thaksin regime in the early 2000s by his xenophobic interior minister, Purachai, or Mr Social Order, who also bought land in New Zealand, got residence there and sent all his kids to NZ schools. Before that you were allowed to use an interpreter.

Multi millionaire friend of mine on Phuket did it.. 100% for sure.. He didnt speak 2 words of Thai.. This was somewhere around 2000 - 2003..

He had to bring in 40 mil for 5 years.. Thats all I remember him saying.. He 100% had PR.. Nothing to do with BOI.