New requirement for extension of stay at Samui Immigration

Got a call yesterday from my accountant asking me to go to Immigration immediately. I needed to have a picture taken there (not sure about the there part, seemed to be what was needed) as part of my paperwork for obtaining my next extension of permission to stay. He told me that this was a new requirement he had just found out about and that it was to prevent people from applying without being currently present - not sure if that meant in Thailand or (this is what it seemed) on Samui. So heads up for those going through this process. Since I was able to get there right away, all I had to do was sit down, have the picture taken by their staff, and leave.

The annual horror of extension to my retirement visa is looming.

There seem to be myriads of rules now and I am totally confused as to what is now actually required!

e.g.

Do I need to supply a map if I have a Blue book? If yes I understand that there is a place opposite

the immigration which can produce the required doc for a fee.

Do I have to produce a medical report?

Any other new rules?

I have a letter from the British Embassy confirming that I meet the Thai financial requirements but last year the immigration guy still wanted to see

Bank books.

Would be grateful for any update as the guy there seems to revel in being unhelpful and intent on finding something "not in order"

I made the mistake of applying for my last visa one day before expiry and I was told to come back on the date of expiry!

Sorry if I'm going over old ground but I find this whole process unpleasant and time consuming. (Wish Samui residents could use Suratthani main office).

• Like 2

Yes, didn't think about the fact they had my passport in hand, so not much chance I would not be in Thailand somewhere. My accountant keeps photos of each client in their files, so whatever they needed those photos were not it. Probably all the photos they take there are digital, would expect so.

• Like 1

Got my passport back last week from the accountant as they do my 90 day reports. This time immigration have only given 30 days before I need to report again. Something definitely going on.

I had mine done in December - same thing. The stamp was originally for 30 days - but it was amended to 90 days with a hand written/signed/stamped note.

The annual horror of extension to my retirement visa is looming.

There seem to be myriads of rules now and I am totally confused as to what is now actually required!

e.g.

Do I need to supply a map if I have a Blue book? If yes I understand that there is a place opposite

Do I have to produce a medical report?

Any other new rules?

I have a letter from the British Embassy confirming that I meet the Thai financial requirements but last year the immigration guy still wanted to see

Bank books.

Would be grateful for any update as the guy there seems to revel in being unhelpful and intent on finding something "not in order"

I made the mistake of applying for my last visa one day before expiry and I was told to come back on the date of expiry!

Sorry if I'm going over old ground but I find this whole process unpleasant and time consuming. (Wish Samui residents could use Suratthani main office).

yes you will need to go across the road to see herbert,give him your address and he will provide a google map of where you live.then take it back,immigration will ask you to circle where your house is.It's 150baht for the service herbert provides.

The blue book is for the house, it does not state that you live there, you as a foreigner must have a yellow book.

The TM7 forms states on page two "APPLICATION MUST BE MADE IN PERSON".

Nothing has changed, they are just enforcing the rules.

If all offices enforced this rule it would stop the agents turning up with huge amounts of passports and walking straight to officers whilst ignoring the queues of ticket system. As they do at where I go.

On my next extension I will present my bank letter plus bank book showing only 800K in a fixed deposit account (not fund book). Has anyone done the same recently? I am concerned because years ago during the last coup the officer asked me to prove what I was living on so I showed him other bank books. He then requested copies of all the pages plus bank letters on each book. He explained that you must not only show the 800K requirement, but also what other money you had and where it originated. So my question is does your bank book show only 800K or does it show outgoing/incoming amounts with the balance never dropping below 800K for the previous three months before the extension date?

I have 800,000 in a fixed account and show that bankbook together with other savings accounts used for living expenses (transfers and withdraws). All in same bank (Bangkok Bank), so 1 letter and 1 fee only. Have always done that (8 years), and never had any problems. It’s easy for the immigration officer to check the age of the 800k and see some other transactions. Last time was October.

(Well, I had problem one year, as in the beginning the 800k were in a Fund Book, which they suddenly would not accept anymore, should be in fixed or savings bank account.)

I don’t think it’s a general requirement to show more than the 800k, but that may be different from area to area, so if Samui Immigration ask for more, then we better show it – they may wish to check if you have Thai-income that could be generated from work without permit.