Import tax for parts and accessories

mortenaa

Hey guys!

I love to buy stuff from overseas. Especially in the US, the market for car parts, accessories, is great. Good prices and great selections. I do get a bit fed up with the charges here. I feel ripped off. Seems like they give me a 30% duty tax (+ 7% VAT) everytime! Its usually the same guys coming here from either UPS or DHL etc. I want to make sure they tax me the correct about. So I want to start inform the upfront. "Im expecting a package, and the rate should be..."

But what are the actual rates on?

- Car parts (general motor/brake parts etc)

- Car accessories (styling, gadgets, shammy etc)

- Computer gadgets

And so on...

Anyone?

First off the overarching rules on personal postal items:

http://www.customs.go.th/wps/wcm/connect/custen/individuals/importing+postal+items/importingpostalitems+

Next, the actual tarriff database so you can look up the applicable taxes:

http://igtf.customs.go.th/igtf/en/main_frame.jsp

Which is not very user friendly I'm afraid.

Try searching for code '84' to find engine parts, or under description, search for 'motor vehicle' to find some other accessories. Be warned you'll be searching for a while to get the results you want.

The other thing is, using DHL or Fedex is pretty much a guaranteed way to insure you get hit with taxes ;)

Since I drive and import I order most of my parts off of ebay and either get a supplier in Hong Kong or China. I have never paid any import tax on these items. The most expensive part I bought were some chrome trim pieces that cost $80US and no import tax. Most of the other parts were also trim pieces around the $50US cost, no tax. Now I ordered an electronic bark collar for my dog which came from the US and paid about $20US import tax for an $120 item. Go figure......

Since I drive and import I order most of my parts off of ebay and either get a supplier in Hong Kong or China. I have never paid any import tax on these items. The most expensive part I bought were some chrome trim pieces that cost $80US and no import tax. Most of the other parts were also trim pieces around the $50US cost, no tax. Now I ordered an electronic bark collar for my dog which came from the US and paid about $20US import tax for an $120 item. Go figure......

Look at the declared value on the parcels coming from HK/CN vs US ;)

• Like 1

Look at the declared value on the parcels coming from HK/CN vs US wink.png

I don't remember any declared value on the parcels but there may have been one. I think the difference is the parts from Hong Kong and China come regular mail and the one from the states came special delivery with a carrier.

Look at the declared value on the parcels coming from HK/CN vs US wink.png

I don't remember any declared value on the parcels but there may have been one. I think the difference is the parts from Hong Kong and China come regular mail and the one from the states came special delivery with a carrier.

Thai customs won't accept an import without a declared value - so it was there.... The thing is HK/CN vendors usually just put down a single digit $ amount for the item value. Sometimes you might get a 7-14 Baht duty fee on them, but most of the time not... US vendors are all afraid to under-value/declare, so you get whacked on full CIF value - and if it comes by DHL or Fedex, you can almost guarantee it'll get duties - even if it's declared value is only $1 - because customs *know* the "F" part of CIF (freight) was > 1000 Baht on it's own.

First off the overarching rules on personal postal items:

http://www.customs.go.th/wps/wcm/connect/custen/individuals/importing+postal+items/importingpostalitems+

Next, the actual tarriff database so you can look up the applicable taxes:

http://igtf.customs.go.th/igtf/en/main_frame.jsp

Which is not very user friendly I'm afraid.

Try searching for code '84' to find engine parts, or under description, search for 'motor vehicle' to find some other accessories. Be warned you'll be searching for a while to get the results you want.

The other thing is, using DHL or Fedex is pretty much a guaranteed way to insure you get hit with taxes wink.png

I had a look around on those pages.. NOT user-friendly for sure!

I bought items from both HK and China. Big and small. They will be hit with the same import tax as from everywhere else I am afraid..

I bought items from both HK and China. Big and small. They will be hit with the same import tax as from everywhere else I am afraid..

Guess I am lucky living out here in the boonies.

Must be your address or your surname then I guess :)

I get on average 4-8 parcels from HK/CN per month, and the most duty I've paid was 14 Baht, but typically zero.

Must be your address or your surname then I guess smile.png

I get on average 4-8 parcels from HK/CN per month, and the most duty I've paid was 14 Baht, but typically zero.

I guess this is typically normal post packages, received with Thailand Post?

Must be your address or your surname then I guess smile.png

I guess this is typically normal post packages, received with Thailand Post?

Anything from the size of a matchbox, to too big for the postman to bring on a motorbike - but always via EMS though, yes. As I noted earlier, using the 'big name' couriers is a sure-fire way to get hit with duties.

Anything from the size of a matchbox, to too big for the postman to bring on a motorbike - but always via EMS though, yes. As I noted earlier, using the 'big name' couriers is a sure-fire way to get hit with duties.

Exactly. As long as the items are brought in with the post and seldom more expensive than a 1000 Baht, no tax. But thats never an option when buying stuff from the US. Its either USPS, DHL or Fedex.

Exactly. As long as the items are brought in with the post and seldom more expensive than a 1000 Baht, no tax. But thats never an option when buying stuff from the US. Its either USPS, DHL or Fedex.

That's why I don't buy from the US unless I have too. 99% of the car accessories can be bought from Hong Kong or China and come by post unless you ask for special delivery.

That's why I don't buy from the US unless I have too. 99% of the car accessories can be bought from Hong Kong or China and come by post unless you ask for special delivery.

I have many packages sent by USPS and its the same as any other postal service, or am I missing something here ?

Priority Mail Express International is the exact same as EMS it goes to the same sorting office in Bangkok

Priority Mail International is cheaper as it takes longer but has tracking same as Express

First Class Mail International is the lowest cost option, but it has no tracking

All the above are received and delivered by Thai Post. They are completely different from the courier option ?

• Like 1

I have many packages sent by USPS and its the same as any other postal service, or am I missing something here ?

Priority Mail Express International is the exact same as EMS it goes to the same sorting office in Bangkok

Priority Mail International is cheaper as it takes longer but has tracking same as Express

First Class Mail International is the lowest cost option, but it has no tracking

All the above are received and delivered by Thai Post. They are completely different from the courier option ?

Personal imports < 1,000 Baht in CIF (Cost Including Freight) value are duty free, no matter what they are - so they just go through to delivery.

As soon as you use one of the big couriers, your parcel is almost certain to be assessed, just because they know the freight alone is going to push the CIF value close-to/over the 1,000 Baht threshold.

i.e. The cheaper the freight, the less likely your parcel is to be assessed.

Yes but USPS also has no problem, you need to request of the shipper not to claim it over $25 dollars best to have someone else to ship to stateside and then they can ship onward with a lower claim and the tax will be nil. But that also comes with a risk of it being lost or stolen and not replaced without insurance. But I never lost a package while there so depending on the contents it may be worth the risk.

It looks like what the deal here is the seller in China & HK have no issues with writing $30 value on any package what ever the value may be, compared to shipping from the USA whare many refuse and will only write the correct value.

When I purchase from the states I have my items sent to a friend, and then he posts the item to me here in Thailand. All items are sent Priority Mail International, some have slipped through that are high dollar items and some I have had to pay duty, so for me its a game you play when playing around with fabricated declarations.

The Thai customs are not dolly dimple if they open a package that has a $30 declaration, they can give a duty cost as they see fit depending what's in the package.

Please note I am talking about the Post Office , not courier shipping.

• Like 1

Hi All, from time to time I have parts delivered from The States for my Jeep Wrangler, if they cannot send by USPS I find a company that will, because have found when shipped by USPS I have no tax to pay, DHL and FedX the tax is often equivalent or more than the cost of the parts and shipping cost.

Although on the face of it USPS shipping costs are higher than the other two.

Another alternative is to have the goods sent to a forwarding company, then sent on to you, or send to a friend you can then forward onto you.

Regards Tom

Hi All, from time to time I have parts delivered from The States for my Jeep Wrangler, if they cannot send by USPS I find a company that will, because have found when shipped by USPS I have no tax to pay, DHL and FedX the tax is often equivalent or more than the cost of the parts and shipping cost.

Another alternative is to have the goods sent to a forwarding company, then sent on to you, or send to a friend you can then forward onto you.

Regards Tom

You indicate you are having vehicle parts sent by USPS. I assume they have a weight limit and a max dimensional size of the package ?

• Like 1

Regards Tom

I shipped an automatic pool cleaner to Thailand not too long ago and UPS, FedEX, and DHL were astronomically priced in comparison to USPS so I have no idea what you're comparing to? They weren't even on the same planet with prices as much as $200-$300 more and actually almost twice as much as the product being shipped even cost. Even USPS was too high though, so I just broke the package down into two pieces as the packaging was a lot of wasted space and it shipped for much less and all arrived ok.

Edited by WarpSpeed

Regards Tom

You indicate you are having vehicle parts sent by USPS. I assume they have a weight limit and a max dimensional size of the package ?

Right...

Hi All, do not know what the maximum size or weight of the item to be shipped by USPS, but on the supplier quoting me shipping cost's USPS is always the most expensive quote, maybe the supplier gets a piece of the cake with the others.

Regards Tom

You mentioned that you do not pay tax on the shipping by USPS. What type of parts are you having sent ?

Hi All, do not know what the maximum size or weight of the item to be shipped by USPS, but on the supplier quoting me shipping cost's USPS is always the most expensive quote, maybe the supplier gets a piece of the cake with the others.

Regards Tom

I would say they have some reasoning like maybe a bit of extra work, or whatever like you suggested they may get bulk shipping rates with those other carriers as they use them more often, but I never got a more expensive quote from USPS then FEdEx, UPS or DHL.