What papers does a farang need to marry in Thailand?

NavaJauvana

I am sure this question has already been asked and answered several times in this forum, but i would be grateful if any farang who has had recent experience getting married in Thailand to a Thai national could help me out.

I have heard that a farang needs a letter notarized by his embassy stating that he is "free to marry." The implication is that he or she is not currently married to someone else and if they were, they are now legally divorced. I would like to know the correct language for this letter.

I also heard that this notarized letter from the farang's home embassy then needs to be translated and endorsed (stamped) by some Thai government ministry (Foreign Affairs?). Can anyone tell me if they know a translation service or other type of service that offers a translation acceptable to the government and who can actually get the endorsement from the proper government ministry? I suppose a law office could get it done but at an inflated expense. Are there less expensive alternatives, and what kind of rates are fair for this service? Anyone can recommend a reliable company or individual for this?

Are there any other papers needed by the farang, besides of course, one's passport with valid visas/extensions?

I heard the wife needs her Thai ID plus Home Registration papers, and two witnesses are required to be present with the bride and groom at the office to complete the paperwork. Anything else?

Again, i appreciate your input or feedback if you are aware of the current rules and procedures for a farang marrying a thai national in Thailand.

No need to caution me about the pitfalls of marriage. I have had that conversation with myself already. Thanks.

I also have a question about this since I am already married to a Thai but here in the USA. We will be traveling back to Thailand to get married in front of her parents so is there anything needed as to paper work that will be necessary when we marry there?

I am from the UK and my Thai girlfriend wanted to get married (to me) so we have just got married in Hong Kong, a lot cheaper and less binding than getting married in Thailand. There can be a lot of financial implications by marrying a Thai officially in Thailand. To my knowledge the Hong Kong wedding is not recognized as official in Thailand unless it is registered at the Amphur and it is not recognized in the UK unless the marriage certificate is taken into the British Consulate to be stamped (oops forgot to do that in the same building as the Hong Kong Marriage Registry) and then taken to the UK to be officially registered.

My girlfriend wanted to get married and that is what she got.

I would also like to add to Sanuks reply and say that your marriage IS recognised in the UK whether you register it or not (try to keep it a secret). You are married in every sense of the word and despite the fact you didnt register at the local amphur, see what happens if you try and get divorced....

Back to the OP, I dont know your nationality but heres the affirmation to marry and all the info from the UK website.

Its not difficult to sort out so dont stress, save the stress for the dowry discussions lol

Good luck and feel free to Email me if you need any help :-)

PS what a numpty, i forgot to post the link, so here it is.............

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/information-for-british-nationals-intending-to-marry-in-thailand

Edited by Gentmartin

"We will be traveling back to Thailand to get married in front of her parents so is there anything needed as to paper work that will be necessary when we marry there?"

No paperwork needed. What you will be doing is just a ceremony, not actually getting married. You'll already be married.

There will be some paperwork if you register your US marriage here.

I am an American citizen who married a Thai national last month.

Since I was previously married and divorced in the States I needed a Marriage Affidavit and a Divorce Affidavit. I took both papers to the US Embassy to be notorized at $50 each.

Then I took both papers and my Divorce Decree to be translated into Thai. Even though I had the Divorce Decree translated, it wasn't needed as I was never asked to show it.

Good thing, because the knucklehead who translated the two notorized papers messed up and I had to get them re-translated. There is an excellent translation service at the Foreign Affairs that translated both papers at 300 baht each and took less than an hour.

Took the translated papers to Foreign Affairs, payed the fee (I think it was 1,900 baht), waited a while, and then got the ok to proceed to the Amphur.

Went to the local Amphur near the Foreign Affairs office with my papers, had the wife fill out a paper that was in Thai, got a number and waited a short time before we were called into the office to complete the marriage process. After paying the fee (I can't remember how much), we were legally married in Thailand.

Wife had to show ID Card and House Registration paper. They provided the two witnesses for us, in fact, we didn't even see who they were.

Hope this helps!

You have not mentioned where you are from, Each countries embassy has there own sample or blank affirmation to fill out.

When it comes to getting the translation and MFA certification it can save a lot time and effort to have the translator do the certification for you. They get it all done for you and send it by EMS to you to save a trip back.

• Like 1

Need only MONEY, loads of them.

Then comes all the related paperwork. Proof of the fact you are single, her ID and house registration and two witness. Oh I forgot to mention they must be translated all in Thai and duly attested by ur embassy.

Best of luck.

Be a good man. You'll have luck beyond your biggest dreams.

Clue, after little fuss, I was informed being a good man is as easy as keeping one's mouth shut. Also, true.

Congratulations.

"Genuine religion takes nothing away from human existence, but it does add new meanings to all of life; it generates new types of enthusiasm, zeal, and courage."

Edited by nithisa78

Need only MONEY, loads of them.

Then comes all the related paperwork. Proof of the fact you are single, her ID and house registration and two witness. Oh I forgot to mention they must be translated all in Thai and duly attested by ur embassy.

Best of luck.

Yes, money. During one trip to the embassy, I was asked, again money. If not for the money shoe, would have taken another week.

It would have also made more sense to marry in USA. Most of my Englisg is understood there. This wasn't a sentimental journey, just a good one.

Why get married just live together, why make problems for yourself for when it goes wrong and it will it always dose then you will remember what that man said on T.V

as for the other guy here who said that's what my g/f wanted cheesy.gif you should of thought more about what you want and put her on hold she wont be going anywhere mate, they never do coffee1.gif

• Like 1

This is the OP. Thanks everyone for sharing your knowledge and your humor.

I have a follow up question. As i am divorced, i will need to state this fact on the "Free to Marry" affidavit.

Does this mean i will need a 2nd affidavit to confirm that i was legally divorced? This seems to be the conclusion, but does anyone know if this 2nd affidavit is needed. It would mean two fees to my Consulate and two translation and endorsement fees, rather than one. Will the local Amphur office need this 2nd affidavit or not?

Yes you have the correct information. My wife and I just got married in December. If you was married before you need to bring proper papers to the embassy to get your affidavit. You will need to make an appointment for notary services at the US embassy, this can be done online at embassy website. The cost for notary seal is $50 USD (per seal) if you were married before there are two forms and you will need two notary seals. You can pay with visa debit card. The translator we used is very close to the embassy. TSL & Associates. Phone # 087-595-4918. They specialize in immigration law and visas.

Address is :

130-132 Sindhom Building Tower 1, 2 floor

Wireless Rd. Lumpini Patumwan Bangkok.

To make things easy for us and know everything was done right, no return trips to places or going to the wrong place, plus we got married that day(if you do yourself it can take 2-3 days) we paid for marriage services from TSL. If you have the money to spend I recommend doing that. No headache, they take care of everything. We paid 11,500 ฿ but for just translation 600 ฿.

What papers does a farang need to marry in Thailand?

Well for a start...usually plenty of papers depicting heads

of state (present or deceased) on each paper with some

number in the corners of the paper. Numbers should start

with 50 and proceed upwards in distinct increments such

as; 50, 100, 500, 1000 so on & so forth. Unless you are from

Zimbabwe, where the paper is actually worth more than what

is printed on it, hence nobody will marry you even if you have

a 40 foot container crammed full of that stuff.

Hope this helps the OP and...the OP should always contact

his his/her embassy for the proper requirements, that is, unless

he/she is from Zimbabwe. If the latter is the case...go home and

marry that cute village girl who has that friend who knows another

friend who knows Mugabe's janitor....who may be able to get you

a job.

Cheers!

All the papers you require should be available from the Thai website in your country of origin. They are in both languages. Your own and in Thai. So there is nothing to translate. All you need to do is fill in both copies and get them affirmed at your Embassy or consulate here in Thailand. Even the Thai girls own verification papers should be available on the same website in Thai. You don't need to pay any translation fees. Any words you need to translate. Use the Google Translate service and copy them. Or get your girlfriend to fill in any answers in Thai and sign and date it.

All the papers you require should be available from the Thai website in your country of origin. They are in both languages. Your own and in Thai. So there is nothing to translate. All you need to do is fill in both copies and get them affirmed at your Embassy or consulate here in Thailand. Even the Thai girls own verification papers should be available on the same website in Thai. You don't need to pay any translation fees. Any words you need to translate. Use the Google Translate service and copy them. Or get your girlfriend to fill in any answers in Thai and sign and date it.

Not true. You need them translated word perfect otherwise you will be running backwards and forwards until they are perfect. NO THAI forms for marriage at British Embassy just an example of what is required for affirmation and then has to be translated

Not true. You need them translated word perfect otherwise you will be running backwards and forwards until they are perfect. NO THAI forms for marriage at British Embassy just an example of what is required for affirmation and then has to be translated

I did not say a British Embassy!!!!! I was referring to a Thai Embassy from which I have previously downloaded them but not yet used. THEY ARE ALREADY WORD PERFECT BECAUSE THEY ARE SUPPLIED AND WRITTEN BY THE THAI GOVERNMENT.

Is there any point in wasting money you don't have to?????

I did not say a British Embassy!!!!! I was referring to a Thai Embassy from which I have previously downloaded them but not yet used. THEY ARE ALREADY WORD PERFECT BECAUSE THEY ARE SUPPLIED AND WRITTEN BY THE THAI GOVERNMENT.

Is there any point in wasting money you don't have to?????

For a British citizen to get married in Thailand you need an affirmation to marry certified at the British embassy and then translated and certified by the MFA. Did you not have to do this when you got married???

"We will be traveling back to Thailand to get married in front of her parents so is there anything needed as to paper work that will be necessary when we marry there?"

No paperwork needed. What you will be doing is just a ceremony, not actually getting married. You'll already be married.

There will be some paperwork if you register your US marriage here.

My Thai wife and I were married in Canada three years ago. She is a permanent resident of Canada and we live here now but will be splitting our time between Canada and Thailand in a few years and I want to ensure that I have everything in proper order. Do we need to register our marriage in Thailand and if so what is the process?