How do you avoid Pickpockets?

NoshowJones

When I walk about Bangkok or Pattaya after dark, I always keep my money, never more than about 2000 Baht, down my sock. I also carry an old wallet stuffed with paper in my front pocket as a decoy, and there has never been any attempt to steal it that I know of.

I have been doing this for years since my mobile was stolen in Sukhumvit road, it was a cheap one a few years old, so I wasn't greatly concerned. I never carry a mobile after dark now. So how do you keep your money or anything else getting stolen when you walk about after dark?

I usually carry my Phone in my front pocked, Wallet my back pocket...

However, when I enter an area of high footfall an almost subconscious response is to move my wallet to my front pocket.

I think I am naturally vigilant and spatially aware enough that should someone encroach into my space or bump into my my first response is 1,2,3... Wallet, Watch, Phone...

Pick pocket attempts have been made twice on me - once in Prague and another time in Barcelona - both times I was a little drunk, however, both times I caught the pickpocket in the act... grabbing their wrist as their hand entered my pocket, one even argued that it was her wallet in her hand... a further twist and she let go of my wallet.... (yes, both times it was girls pretending to hit on me).

Not to worry you unnecessarily but the fine art of pickpocketing has now been reduced to a sharp blow over the head with a blunt instrument.

Seems like the kids don't want to learn a proper trade anymore. I blame it on smartphones.

Your first sentence, surely not where there are people around, I have never heard of anyone who is not drunk and minding their own business being hit in a busy street with a blunt instrument.

I usually carry my Phone in my front pocked, Wallet my back pocket...

However, when I enter an area of high footfall an almost subconscious response is to move my wallet to my front pocket.

I think I am naturally vigilant and spatially aware enough that should someone encroach into my space or bump into my my first response is 1,2,3... Wallet, Watch, Phone...

Pick pocket attempts have been made twice on me - once in Prague and another time in Barcelona - both times I was a little drunk, however, both times I caught the pickpocket in the act... grabbing their wrist as their hand entered my pocket, one even argued that it was her wallet in her hand... a further twist and she let go of my wallet.... (yes, both times it was girls pretending to hit on me).

I think it is crazy keeping your wallet in your back pocket at any time, so easy for a pickpocket. The only time I have ever thought about carrying my wallet in my back pocket, is if I put some fishing hooks in it wrapped up in paper, and I would do it if I ever got pick pocketed, just out of revenge.

I got pickpocketed three times in Pattaya. I moved.

Read my post #7.

It wouldn't have helped me as I was passed out in a field and they had a couple of hours to get the stuff out of my pockets. I'll never know if I drank too much or got drugged as it was one of those kind of nights.

I'm not sure that really qualifies as pickpocketing.

• Like 2

I always carry my wallet in the back pocket.

I was fed up, women pinching my bum, so I decided to put it there as an obstacle.

but they are clever these women.

They started pinching me on the other side.

Ahhhhhhh........why am I soooooooo hansum?

• Like 1

I got pickpocketed three times in Pattaya. I moved.

Read my post #7.

It wouldn't have helped me as I was passed out in a field and they had a couple of hours to get the stuff out of my pockets. I'll never know if I drank too much or got drugged as it was one of those kind of nights.

No, your right, but think of the satisfaction you would get if you did that the next night and then you heard lots of screaming further down the street.

I always carry my wallet in the back pocket.

I was fed up, women pinching my bum, so I decided to put it there as an obstacle.

but they are clever these women.

They started pinching me on the other side.

Ahhhhhhh........why am I soooooooo hansum?

Wait till you meet me Costas, then you'll see what handsome really is.

• Like 1

Is pickpocketing prevalent in Thailand? I just wonder if it's more urban myth then urban fact.

Personally, I've never been pickpocketed. Had one LadyBoy try it on near Soi Cowboy, but was too drunk to pull it off.

Just lot's of groping. Not professional, and working alone.

The attention was less then appreciated, but smart enough not to make a scene of it.

Apart from that, nothing to report.

Is pickpocketing prevalent in Thailand? I just wonder if it's more urban myth then urban fact.

Personally, I've never been pickpocketed. Had one LadyBoy try it on near Soi Cowboy, but was too drunk to pull it off.

Just lot's of groping. Not professional, and working alone.

The attention was less then appreciated, but smart enough not to make a scene of it.

Apart from that, nothing to report.

It's about pick pockets not ladyboys who are to drunk to pull it off.

• Like 1

I was once pick pocketed in Elvis Presley house many years ago. I'm serious! Actually his house is more of a museum now.

Vietnam has a huge pick pocket and crime rate! Beware if your in Vietnam!

Actually I added 2 buttons on each pocket to a few of my shorts. Makes it very difficult to open without me knowing.