Driving licence without a test.

torrow

Sort of, you will have to do the "can u c this" eyesight test whole thing a waste of time really with a Uk licencse you had way wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy too much training for driving than any Thai will ever get, they ought to issue us with "genius" driver stickers reallylaugh.png

Oh and don't forget you will need a Thai translation of your uk licence,cost me about 200baht i think.

Not at most offices, just your original will do.

Agreed

It seems the rules vary from office to office,they insisted i had a translation which ran to about 10 pages ,photocopys of the translators id ect,guess i just got a pedantic clerk.

Oh and don't forget you will need a Thai translation of your uk licence,cost me about 200baht i think.

Agreed

It seems the rules vary from office to office,they insisted i had a translation which ran to about 10 pages ,photocopys of the translators id ect,guess i just got a pedantic clerk.

A 10 page translation of your photocard licence???

Agreed

I think they were taking the ....... :)

There is no definitive answer to this, why? because everywhere in thailand will be different. Like so many things there is no consistency.

What works here, wont work there and so on.

One guy will tell you "sure no problem", someone else will have tales of written tests and classroom theory tests.

Bottom line: depends where you are and who you see on the day.

Plan for the worst, hope for the best.

Edited by CharlieH

use the international if it cover motorcycle, (as your uk one doesn't) then with two sets of everything, do a copy of the doctors and the immigration letter, after reaction eye test etc. you should be good to go, arrive early.

Sort of, you will have to do the "can u c this" eyesight test whole thing a waste of time really with a Uk licencse you had way wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy too much training for driving than any Thai will ever get, they ought to issue us with "genius" driver stickers reallylaugh.png

more like my shit no smell stickerclap2.gif

Things are changing (at least in Pattaya & BKK)

U need a International DL of the 1949 Agreement (not the one of 1968). than u have do the color and the simulated brake test. Otherwise you need to pass a full driving test (theory and practical)

If you don't have a IDL, you need your Foreign DL & a translation of it, issued be your embassy (must be stamped by the embassy, not some local translation office) Translation cost of Swiss Embassy cost 1490 THB. I don't know about other Embassies. Usually your embassy should handle the translation by mail.

Certainly when I went with 5 other people a few weeks ago all those without International Licences (1 American, 2 Hong Kong) were sent away. They even rejected one person whose letter of residence was more than 30 days old but for those with the correct paper work it was a pretty straight forward process. I am told by old hands that in days of yore they got through without the IDL

They wanted to bulk process the applicants so they dispensed with the lining up test

This was at the Pattaya office

In Bangkok (Bang Chak) a UK photocard licence is all you need, plus the other documents showing your address, medical cert etc. The UK licence doesn't need to be translated. The only tests you need to do are the colour, depth perception, peripheral vision and reaction tests. It takes about half a day if you get there early.

BrewsterBugdgen

Bangjak is Sukhumvit 62 correct?

I am going to try and do with UK IDP (as I want Bike and Car licence) ..... can I just turn up at anytime or do I have to make an appointment?

(going for Monday pm to reduce time away from work)

Cheers

PJ

Edited by Rabi

BrewsterBugdgen

Bangjak is Sukhumvit 62 correct?

I am going to try and do with UK IDP (as I want Bike and Car licence) ..... can I just turn up at anytime or do I have to make an appointment?

(going for Monday pm to reduce time away from work)

Cheers

PJ

Yes, that's it. I don't think they do appointments. I wouldn't turn up too late as it takes a while and I don't know when the afternoon cut-off time is!

Agreed

500 in an envelope will bypass such things immediately. biggrin.png

Agreed

500 in an envelope will bypass such things immediately. biggrin.png

Stupid comment, on top of that illegal and not true.

Hey, important question if anyone knows please help. If my residency certificate says I live in pattaya, am I able to get my licence done at a bangkok office??? I have been rejected today for ed visa extention at pattaya because my school is in bangkok, do the same rules apply at the motor office?