PM Prayut to open floating market near Government House

webfact

PM to open floating market near Government House
Anapat Deechuay
The Nation

30252209-01_big.jpg?1421706855698
Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha gestures while touring a temporary orchid market just outside Government House yesterday after presiding over its opening ceremony.

BANGKOK: -- PRIME MINISTER General Prayut Chan-o-cha is planning to open a floating market at Khlong Prem Prachakorn near Government House.

Prayut floated the idea after presiding over the opening ceremony of the orchid market next to Khlong Phadung Krung Kasem.

Prayut came up with the idea of a floating market while walking back to Government House from the orchid market with his secretary-general Wilas Arunsri.

Wilas also reported that the authorities were in discussions with the Fine Arts Department to conduct landscape improvements around Government House by extending the fence line along the first gate towards Khlong Prem Prachakorn.

The premier ordered that the plan to be thoroughly studied with regard to adverse effects and budget.

"When I try to build something, people might say that I want to stay in my position longer," Prayuth said.

Prayut said the orchid market, which will be open every Monday to Wednesday from 9am to 6pm for three months, would provide opportunities for farmers who are facing problems with limited outlets in which to sell their orchids and low pricing.

"Thailand is the world second largest orchid exporter after the Netherlands and its export volume is worth Bt3 billion per year," he said.

The orchid trade should be promoted to boost the country's income, he said. This can be achieved by stimulating the domestic consummation of orchids, finding more markets for orchid exports and promoting orchid processing for added value, he said.

This also goes along with the |government's five-year vision for |"the sustainable security of the country and sustainable prosperity for the people."

The prime minister also urged those involved in the orchid trade, especially the middlemen, to ensure consumers get quality goods at appropriate pricing.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/PM-to-open-floating-market-near-Government-House-30252209.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-01-20

"Prayut came up with the idea of a floating market while walking back to Government House from the orchid market with his secretary-general Wilas Arunsri."

Oh good. Glad to see a lot of thought and planning went into this.

Not just some off the cuff passing whimsy.

• Like 2

Will there be boats for hire to visit the market and will foreigners have to pay Bt 2,000 as opposed to Bt 800 for Thais, as approved by the Bkk Governor ?

Does dear leader know of such rip offs and does he care as Thais making money equals Happiness.

• Like 1

Will the boats be on wheels? Like the "Floating" Market in Pattaya.

Maybe.

Maybe they will also steal the 99 baht breakfast deal from the sleazy Pattaya breakfast establishments......trying to boost the ratio of tourist farang to pay the inflated water market prices.

Really what Tnailand needs is a few more shopping malls. Maybe a mall with a floating market inside ;)

• Like 2

Why not go for a floating government?

As opposed to a sinking one ?

?

A government that floats versus one that sinks versus one that just sucks the life out of the country..

They will need the navy to carry out the next coup.

Tanks will just sink in water.

Really what Tnailand needs is a few more shopping malls. Maybe a mall with a floating market inside ;)

Yes, Central Group to open a mall with a floating market, as Thai as Thai can be, the Thainess campaign would be complete.

Why not go for a floating government?

As opposed to a sinking one ?

?

A government that floats versus one that sinks versus one that just sucks the life out of the country..

They will need the navy to carry out the next coup.

Tanks will just sink in water.

They can use their shiny new submarines wink.png

Subs should arrive just in time before the (now post-poned) elections in 2016.

Edited by docshock13

Thai orchids are beautiful. It is good to see that this industry is being promoted. Sometimes "aha" moments can, in a flash, produce far better results, than long-term planning. So far we have see a lot better quality control and distribution for other Thai agricultural products under the current administration, than we did under the previous one. Take rice for example. :)

I seen the opening of the floating market on the TV channel 3 news. I hope it

is very successful, and I hope to visit it the next time I am in Bangkok.

Nice to see a good news story, amongst all the regular news stories

of bad things happening all around the world.

Stargeezer