Mukdahan western restaurant

Swany121

Well, I know of at least a dozen guavas who have started restaurants over the last 7 years.

Only one is glad he did. And he's a raging alcoholic who barely survives because he has the cheapest beer and all the other guava raging alkies hang out there.

The rest are out of business. One because he is dead, beaten to death on Koh Chang with pool cues, and another was put in the hospital for three months with an ankle so badly crushed with metal pipes, he'll never walk on it again. Two left the country overnight after receiving death threats. Others just went broke, or became stressed out to the point of walking away.

Bottom line: running a restaurant in your own country and culture is one of the tougher businesses, why do people think it will be easier here? Some of the above folks were actually quite successful. So much so, some locals lost business. That does not bode well for the foreigner.

Keep asking around until you feel you have enough info to make a good decision. Play your own devil's advocate. Positive thinking is fine once you've moved forward and investments have been mad, but positive thinking before that can be misleading.

Would love to see a restaurant in Mukdahan but the food should be better than the stuff I can cook myself.

As with a lot of these restaurants the quality is kind of 'home made', well I don't want to travel all the way

to find out that I (even I) could do better. Since Big C, Makro and now even Tops it's a lot easier to get some

nice steaks and other things that makes up a fine Western dish. So you should probably beat all the 'home chefs'

with something out of the ordinary. But if you can do that then I'll probably be your first (and returning) customer.

The post above this one is prime example for the advice I can give you...

If you do western food, you will be judged by just about every Westerner on the food. Keep in mind "Westerner" covers A LOT of countries. Example is bacon for breakfast. Various countries prepare their bacon different and have different preferences. Streaky Bacon smoked? Streaky unsmoked? Back Bacon thick cut? Back Bacon thin? Crispy? not Crispy? Whichever you choose, some will love you for it and others will shrug it off and say "it's not like home".

Make sure you cater to the majority of the population...Thais. Do the food you like / can identify yourself with and have the menu in Thai and English. Thais do like venturing out and trying western food, but many can't read or speak english.

There are other hurdles to overcome as well, but if you have prior restaurant experience ( very important here for starting one up ), you have an idea of what to expect "behind the scenes".

I lived in Mukdahan for one year, for about half that there was a hamburger place, and then it closed down. Mukdahan could definitely do with a medium to low priced western food place. I think there are enough tourists now to help support the business. Yes anyone who lives in Mukdahan and is so inclined they can get western food, but part of a restaurant draw is the atmosphere. Also for the local farangs, it is not always practicable to do some western dishes, like say a roast of lamb. So one thing I would do is have a weekly carvery. And most important stay off the booze. There is a chap who has a restaurant in Kalasin, that has fantastic good for fantastic value, but he can't keep off the booze, and the restaurant is closed more than open. I hear it is now closed probably permanently.

• 5 weeks later...

Thanks so much for the feedback , the restaurant or Cafe is going to be operated by my wife and will feature western and Thai foods , for breakfasts and lunches , food will be simple , bacon (cured) strips , sausage (pork breakfast patties hand made) french toast . omelettes ranging from plain to cheese to spanish . lunches will be basic , burgers and fries , tempura prawns , salads , and a variety of coffees , cappuccinos etc and of course cold beers.

have 2 menus made up english and thai and will definately be listening for input as we go.

We have an awesome spot right on the main highway

hope to see you all therepost-150607-0-51987700-1425012638_thumb.

Edited by Swany121

Consider having a couple of sampler platters both Western and Thai. You will probably have Thais who don't know Western food and Westerners who don't know Thai food. Especially consider a Western platter for Thais.

The first time I went into an East Indian restaurant which was owned and run by Indians in the US, I had no idea what to order. I was there because I was hearing great things about the food.

They offered a sampler platter with samples of several menu items. We ordered those and when we were finished we knew what to order next time. BTW I learned to love Indian food with the curry and such, but that's off topic.

HERE are some pics of sampler platters. Sometimes they are enough for two people.

BTW, I'd turn the heat down on those eggs. Too hot and they get tough and crispy on the edges and perhaps the tops of the whites don't cook nor do the yolks.

I know people have different preferences, so up to you, but here's more how I'm used to them.

Cheers.

post-164212-0-64013700-1425060904_thumb.

yes typical thai incinerated eggs. the owner of a 3 star muchelin restaurant said that when someone asked for a job he would ask them to fry an egg for the interview. Read online if you don't believe me

Edited by simoncnx

• 5 weeks later...

Thanks so much for the feedback , the restaurant or Cafe is going to be operated by my wife and will feature western and Thai foods , for breakfasts and lunches , food will be simple , bacon (cured) strips , sausage (pork breakfast patties hand made) french toast . omelettes ranging from plain to cheese to spanish . lunches will be basic , burgers and fries , tempura prawns , salads , and a variety of coffees , cappuccinos etc and of course cold beers.

have 2 menus made up english and thai and will definately be listening for input as we go.

hope to see you all thereattachicon.gifIMG_3091.JPG

Might have to get Bigger plates, I'm a Food Separatist...

hope to see you all thereattachicon.gifIMG_3091.JPG

Where is your restaurant, I'll look for it next trip to Mukdahan.

• 7 months later...

Finally getting going on the 28 of November , we are located on The main road (mango am road , just a small hole in the wall with coffees ,drinks and food ranging from black forest cake to new zealand tenderloin. The name of the place is called Sticks Cafe near the Beta grow shop and the PEA. My wife born and raised near Mukdahan is the proprietor here , this is her place , she also teaches English on the premise after hours, we will be open from 730 to 2pm 7 days a week excluding holidays.