Suvarnabhumi bans taxi driver singled out in Japanese man's rant

webfact

It happens many times. Looks like the officials never knew that it is happening!

In Chiang Rai, per definition NOT 1 taxi is driving on the meter. They all have a meter, but they say that they drive on the km and charge you some calculated amount. Even when you want to drive 3 km from the airport to Bandu Muang Chiang Rai.

I did objected one time and then they driver said that they were allowed to drive without the meter and showed e some paper.

At the Chiang Rai Airport there is another cheat, because some car drivers are waiting for you in the arrival hall and they drive a sort of taxi (mostly very old car with a blue license plate) and charge even more than the normal taxi's with meters. By the way the real taxi drivers are afraid to enter the arrival hall and park somewhere outside the airport building to server customers.

So somehow they taxi drivers with blue license plate old cars, received some privileges from the local government.

• Like 1

iv been using taxi from the airport for about 15 years ,never had problem ,i think there cheap in France its its 20 euros for about 3 minutes in a taxi london airport even worse ,looks though this man never been anywhere

what is your point? That expensive London taxis justifies overcharging by a thai taxi driver?

• Like 2

if you have been living in bangkok for at least a year or less, you should know by then that you can get a metered taxi on the 'Departure Area.'

There are lots of taxis in there who sent their passengers to leave thailand or to pick-up friends/relatives and those drivers are very much happy to get another passenger wherever you go on a meter.

Pattaya is another story I guess.

Correct, I do that most of the time on my personal trips otherwise I use the AOT limosines as I can expense the fare. When travelling to Pattaya I always negociate the price and can get it for 1200 baht. I did once ask the driver to put the meter on just as a comparison, he did, and the metered fare was just under the 1200 baht I actually paid. One thing to be wary of is that a lot of these taxis don't have enough gas to go to Pattaya and have to fuel up at a nearby gas station before they go. It happened to me once and we queued for 45 - 50 minutes behind all the other taxis, just to get gas ... I could have been half way home in that time!

"He said he touched down at the airport at 6.30pm and found several closed counters at the immigration checkpoint despite long lines there. He said he waited 30 minutes to pass through."

At the top of this post he is standing holding his taxi details issued to him at the Airport.

It clearly shows that the time of issue was 19:26. 54 minutes after he claims his plane touched down at 18:30.

To have alighted the aircraft, cleared immigration, collected his baggage, made his way to the taxi rank, waited in the queue and to be issued with his taxi details, all in 54 minutes. Not much to complain about, I would have thought.

The non use of the taxi meter is another issue altogether.

• Like 1

And what's the airport news on the Ferrari's and Porsche's parked in disables peoples parking space???

And what is the airport's news on the Ferraris and Porsches parked in disables(d) people's parking space(s)

Classic misuse of the apostrophe!!!! Think apostrophe, think "of the".

Incidentally, maybe the drivers are disabled!

It has to do with the airport, because I went back to complain at the Taxi stand and they ignored him and even said he asked for a bigger taxi and thus has to pay more.

I think the officials at the airport have set up a nice business there.

Yes, people working at the Taxi que have tried to people into just paying a flat rate with no meter. Most at the airport cannot be trusted. Thank goodness for the train.

I suggest we all do the same, post a picture of our receipt of any taxi driver that treats us badly.

Good idea. Here's my fix for this problem:

1. Politely ask the driver at the taxi stand when you get the ticket, if he will be using his meter. Do this in front of the ticket desk not as you are walking to the taxi.

2. Take a photo of the ticket

3. Keep bags in the back seat of the taxi (if possible), not in the boot/trunk

4. Photograph his ID card. Do this before you leave. If he is a cheat. he will get pissed off and chuck you out of the taxi, and you can then go back to the counter to complain. If they shrug and smile (the most likely response) then

5. Dial 021329199 for the Airport Taxi Complaints line and make sure you are seen doing this. You may even wish to warn others in the queue of what you are doing and why.

There are SOME honest drivers there so its not fair to tarnish them all. I am sure that you will get one of those next, or if not, you will get the next trick in the book which is being taken on the "scenic route".

6. Be sure to tell them which roads to take to get to your destination. Of course, only do this if you know your way. There are many one way streets and many others that may seem like a nice direct route on Google maps, but may have horrendous traffic.

Comments?

Now if they could deal with the massive, massive queues that this new system has caused at the airport plus the fact that a groggy tourist is expected to explain in a foreign language to a cab driver (most of whom are fine btw) where they are going in an alien city, instead of having an English speaking person telling the driver as before.

I do think the attempts to clean up the cabs at the airport need to be applauded and encouraged, as long as stuff like the above is sorted. It's also worth noting that the systems that were introduced recently were planned and ordered long before the coup - the guys with guns just decided to take credit and the TV coup flagwavers didn't question this of course.

The long lines and delays are caused by the ill thought out ticket machines which although supposed to be self service are actually operated by the three or four girls at the head of the queue.

As I pointed out last week there was one machine for vans, one out of service ,and one for the entire airport arrivals. The place needs dozens of these machines.

"He said he touched down at the airport at 6.30pm and found several closed counters at the immigration checkpoint despite long lines there. He said he waited 30 minutes to pass through."

At the top of this post he is standing holding his taxi details issued to him at the Airport.

It clearly shows that the time of issue was 19:26. 54 minutes after he claims his plane touched down at 18:30.

To have alighted the aircraft, cleared immigration, collected his baggage, made his way to the taxi rank, waited in the queue and to be issued with his taxi details, all in 54 minutes. Not much to complain about, I would have thought.

The non use of the taxi meter is another issue altogether.

A hour might be efficient where you come from.

Not in Japan.

• Like 1

iv been using taxi from the airport for about 15 years ,never had problem ,i think there cheap in France its its 20 euros for about 3 minutes in a taxi london airport even worse ,looks though this man never been anywhere

Looks more that you dont know what you are talking about. If the meter price is what you have to pay and you pay more you overpay. It does not matter that you think its cheap or not. I guess in France the minimum wage is just like here 7-8 euros a day ?

I suggest we all do the same, post a picture of our receipt of any taxi driver that treats us badly.

Good idea. Here's my fix for this problem:

1. Politely ask the driver at the taxi stand when you get the ticket, if he will be using his meter. Do this in front of the ticket desk not as you are walking to the taxi.

2. Take a photo of the ticket

3. Keep bags in the back seat of the taxi (if possible), not in the boot/trunk

4. Photograph his ID card. Do this before you leave. If he is a cheat. he will get pissed off and chuck you out of the taxi, and you can then go back to the counter to complain. If they shrug and smile (the most likely response) then

5. Dial 021329199 for the Airport Taxi Complaints line and make sure you are seen doing this. You may even wish to warn others in the queue of what you are doing and why.

There are SOME honest drivers there so its not fair to tarnish them all. I am sure that you will get one of those next, or if not, you will get the next trick in the book which is being taken on the "scenic route".

6. Be sure to tell them which roads to take to get to your destination. Of course, only do this if you know your way. There are many one way streets and many others that may seem like a nice direct route on Google maps, but may have horrendous traffic.

Comments?

All of that still doesn't prevent the driver taking you a long way round, so that the metered fare then becomes the non-metered fare you were asked to pay. These guys know ALL the tricks. And if you try to call the taxi complaint number, as I have, they tell you to call the tourist police. You call the tourist police and they tell you to call the taxi complaint number. Whichever way you work it, you lose, Thai wins.

• Like 1

"Approximately 255,000 trips leave the airport each month, but Prapon said the airport only receives an average of 35 complaints per month, or 0.01 percent."

Yeah, that's what happens when you don't answer the phone or listen to the tapes.

And when they do answer the phone they only speak Thai or refer you to the Tourist police who then refer you back to the complaint line in Thai. No chance of tourists ever being able to lodge a formal complaint. Seems like they really don't want to hear the complaints or enforce the rules.

If they did they could look on any street for the taxi's that are waiting like hungry crocodiles for tourists. The police sell the spots and this just jams up the roads and makes traffic an even bigger nightmare.

The BIB are the root of all evil in this country, start with them and everything else will fall into place little by little.

• Like 1

Why just ban him from the airport, why can't he have his taxi license revoked?

Because AOT isn't the police force so they don't have that authority. If someone made a complaint to the police they could start that process.

That is so anal its funny.. report it to the RTP and they COULD start that process. Lol

Dont hold your breath waiting though

I find it hilarious how people bang on about fares that amount to next to nothing for your own private use of a car - get the overcrowded buses if pennies are that important !!

Come to London - you can add another zero onto any fare in Bangkok !

If drivers don't like the low income from being a taxi driver find another job. Can you imagine buying at 300 baht meal from a menu at a restaurant then they tell you we are going to charge you 700 baht for it because we can. Then your justification is ohhhh but in London meals cost 20,000baht.....my advice to you Benroon is Stop sniffing crack.

• Like 2