Thrills and agony of Suvarnabhumi Airport captured in BBC trailer (VIDEO)

webfact

It seems to me this BBC series will prevent loutish British people from coming to Thailand. That cannot be a bad thing! Hooray for the BBC.

One wonders if this oddly voluminous series was funded by TAT or other Thai agency.

You need to wonder after it came to light that some CNN news pieces were actually reimbursed positive infomercials.

Case in point Emmy winning former CNN journalist Amber Lynn. It came to light that Bahrain paid CNN hundreds of thousands of dollars to present only positives aspects.

google "infomercials for dictators"

Its a shame they were not filming last Friday. It took 3 hours to get through immigration. Loads of people of apparent Middle Eastern origin that did not understand the idea of queues and then others who try squeezing in front. The crowd stretched back to the corridor and there was no staff on hand to take control. That was the start of this years holiday. Last year we were pulled over by a customs officer for bringing in excess cigarettes, which cost us more at the duty free in UK than they can be bought retail in Thailand. The fine was about 30,000 baht and course about an extra hour and half getting through. Seems very odd that they are so strict on cigarettes and yet so many other much more serious crimes go with a smaller fine

• Like 2

Topic already running in Pub and trailer video posted 5 days ago

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/749793-bbc3-bangkok-airport-series/

Could the mods please close and link the topics?

The series is running for 6 weeks, i think it will get lost in the News Forum wai.gif

Merging topics can sometimes cause database hiccups, so we don't do it any more.

The two topics can run concurrently.

I haven't seen this one yet. But, i remember when the BBC did a documentary about Nigeria, called "Welcome To Lagos" and i fully expected it to focus on the 419 scams and fake princes ETC. How wrong i was. I was living on a ship ( berthed in Kiri Kiri, Lagos) at the time, and they actually showed Lagos, how it really is, and the reality of the daily life of the people there. I had heard all the stories ( mostly scary) about Nigeria before i sailed, but the reality ( that i witnessed) and the media's portrayal of Nigeria, was so different. Excellent documentary

Edited by lucifer666
  • Like 1

I cannot imagine an objective product stemming from this trailer. I had to watch the trailer a few times; I thought it was parody at first. No, I did not think it was remotely neutral. Maybe I am missing the whole point. I was pretty disgusted with the promo.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

So, they decided to edit out how baggage handlers at Suvarnabhumi move luggage through the airport, by throwing and kicking it down stairs.

Have you actually seen them doing it??? I thought the airport was all automated, though this probably has the same effect particularly on cheep, crappy or badly packed luggage.

So, they decided to edit out how baggage handlers at Suvarnabhumi move luggage through the airport, by throwing and kicking it down stairs.

probably they also edited the handlers who open and steal from the baggage : I lost already once an expensive watch and recently the remote control for the IPTV box I took with me

Shame the cameras weren't there when one of the security staff or baggage handlers broke the lock off mine and stole my new trainers, iPod classic and shure headphones. Of which I'm still waiting for an investigation into.

When travelling you pass through two or more airports, how do you know at which one the theft occurred???

No one has seen this series yet, there have been many fly on the wall documentaries on airports and airlines, many hard hitting facts, I recall more than one airport tackling the problem of thefts from luggage, they did not brush it under the carpet or forbid the documentary crews from filming, thefts from luggage happens at all airports, just some more than others.

Nobody papers over the cracks better than the Thais. It is part of the school syllabus (really, I am not kidding) to avoid saying negative things about the nation. I cannot believe that this will be anything but a tourist promotional video for Thailand.

The UK version of this show was quite good but as a previous poster stated, there was lots and lots of filler.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

It will make for an interesting comparison with the recent excellent series on Dubai Airport.

Ah yes Dubai where you can get on a plane in Birmingham Uk with a roll of wire in your hand luggage after checking first only to have it confiscated at Dubai despite having flown with it in your approved hand luggage by an Arab airline Emirates..........incredible

Unfortunately all countries & airports have different rules, at Dubai even though you may be only be transiting you have to go through security checks, quite right too, not all international airports are as vigilant as they are in the UK or Dubai, remember Lockerbie... I recall it was alleged the bombers had assistance from Libya, and chose to use airports known for lax security.

Why did you not carry the roll of wire in your hold luggage?

Just wonder how long it will be before passengers will be banned from wearing or carrying on Ties, Shoe Laces & Belts...

Have you actually seen them doing it??? I thought the airport was all automated, though this probably has the same effect particularly on cheep, crappy or badly packed luggage.

probably they also edited the handlers who open and steal from the baggage : I lost already once an expensive watch and recently the remote control for the IPTV box I took with me

Shame the cameras weren't there when one of the security staff or baggage handlers broke the lock off mine and stole my new trainers, iPod classic and shure headphones. Of which I'm still waiting for an investigation into.

When travelling you pass through two or more airports, how do you know at which one the theft occurred???

No one has seen this series yet, there have been many fly on the wall documentaries on airports and airlines, many hard hitting facts, I recall more than one airport tackling the problem of thefts from luggage, they did not brush it under the carpet or forbid the documentary crews from filming, thefts from luggage happens at all airports, just some more than others.

I think most experienced travellers now know not to put valuables into checked luggage, and in fact there are signs in many airports advising people of that.

Who hasn't seen a version of this video?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G5mvvZl6pLI

When I opened my locked suitcase on my return from the States in June, there was a nice letter from the TSA telling me they'd searched my bag.

w00t.gif

• Like 1

As a frequent flyer with Thai airlines my bag was tagged priority and direct flight to swampy a large jar of Moccona coffee was smashed inside going through clothes etc.

Was most surprised as really solid jars, i reckon i could have jumped on my bag and it wouldn't break, go figure!

As a frequent flyer with Thai airlines my bag was tagged priority and direct flight to swampy a large jar of Moccona coffee was smashed inside going through clothes etc.

Was most surprised as really solid jars, i reckon i could have jumped on my bag and it wouldn't break, go figure!

Most surprised as really solid jars of Moccona coffee.............are sold in Thailandcoffee1.gif

Edited by Boycie

Topic already running in Pub and trailer video posted 5 days ago

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/749793-bbc3-bangkok-airport-series/

Could the mods please close and link the topics?

The series is running for 6 weeks, i think it will get lost in the News Forum wai.gif

Merging topics can sometimes cause database hiccups, so we don't do it any more.

The two topics can run concurrently.

And i thought that when 2 or more topics are running concurrently a Mod always comes along and mfr_closed1.gif them with a link to the earliest topic, which remains active.

Thanks Jai Dee, learn something new everyday.wink.png

Most surprised as really solid jars of Moccona coffee.............are sold in Thailandcoffee1.gif

Thanks Boycie, it was a special blend, but lesson learned wont do again, ended up drinking Nescafe but added real milk not real keen on that creamer everywear.

Prayuth, please ban it please. Please.

Ban BBC too if you can.

Why. are you afraid of the truth being broadcast or are you just in favor of censorship

Because it will take away happiness from Thais, which is opposite of what the dear leaser junta General Prayuth the supreme Prime Minister is mandated to do for the people by the people.

Among the top twenty things one might dislike or criticize about Thailand and the Thais, I wouldn't rate Suvarnabhumi : I've used the new airport numerous times since its opening and find it no more inconvenient congested, unfriendly or slow than most other major international airports. In fact, many of the criticisms outlined by other respondents here, equally apply to numerous other Asian, American and European airports. And in some instances, matters are far worse elsewhere. On a scale of 1(horrible) to 10 (excellent), Suvarnabhumi scores a solid 7 in my book.

The other airport was Narita in Tokyo. Granted they may have been responsible for breaking in, however which airport would your money be on?

The Airport of Smiles
Bangkok AirportEpisode 1 of 6

We meet Captain Jack, Thailand's happiest immigration officer, and the flying doctor who has his patients in stitches. But not everyone's laughing - Britpacker John escapes death by a whisker, Matt is strandedwithout a ticket, and Paul can't find his gate after one too many drinks in departures. While the tourist police have fun on their new Segways, will Alicia and Georgia survive Thailand without the Bank of Dad?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b050glpb

Just another day at the airport cheesy.gif

In the UK, 9pm GMT tonight BBC3 (4am tomorrow morning in Thailand, if you can get on your PC)

The Airport of Smiles
Bangkok AirportEpisode 1 of 6
We meet Captain Jack, Thailand's happiest immigration officer, and the flying doctor who has his patients in stitches. But not everyone's laughing - Britpacker John escapes death by a whisker, Matt is strandedwithout a ticket, and Paul can't find his gate after one too many drinks in departures. While the tourist police have fun on their new Segways, will Alicia and Georgia survive Thailand without the Bank of Dad?
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b050glpb
Just another day at the airport cheesy.gif
In the UK, 9pm GMT tonight BBC3 (4am tomorrow morning in Thailand, if you can get on your PC)
Edited by Basil B