Back from Savannakhet, Laos, non O visa, no problems

I have never extended a visa in the 17 years I have been here, always paid a visit to Australia and got a new non immigrant multi O visa based upon marriage to a Thai. In just over ninety days I must either get a new visa or get an extension, I do not wish to go to Australia again this year and therefore have the choice of getting an extension at Chiang Mai immigration or going to Savanaket and getting a new visa. Wife's parents live in Se Saket so if I go to Savanaket she could stay with them. Would be grateful for any advice or just your thoughts or anyone's thoughts on what's best. Thanks

I have never extended a visa in the 17 years I have been here, always paid a visit to Australia and got a new non immigrant multi O visa based upon marriage to a Thai. In just over ninety days I must either get a new visa or get an extension, I do not wish to go to Australia again this year and therefore have the choice of getting an extension at Chiang Mai immigration or going to Savanaket and getting a new visa. Wife's parents live in Se Saket so if I go to Savanaket she could stay with them. Would be grateful for any advice or just your thoughts or anyone's thoughts on what's best. Thanks

You can get an extension of stay based upon marriage during the last 30 days of your current 90 day entry. You would need 400k baht in a Thai bank in your name only for 60 days or proof 40k baht income. With an extension there would be no need for trips out of the country ever 90 day for a new entry. Just make reports every 90 days to immigration that can be done by mail if you want to.

I have been done 7 extensions of stay based upon marriage. In my opinion it is much better to get one than making border runs every 90 day and going out for new visa every year.

It only takes one day to get a visa in Savannakhet now. Si Sa Ket is not exactly on the way to Savannakhet from Chiang Mai.

• Like 1

You can get an extension of stay based upon marriage during the last 30 days of your current 90 day entry. You would need 400k baht in a Thai bank in your name only for 60 days or proof 40k baht income. With an extension there would be no need for trips out of the country ever 90 day for a new entry. Just make reports every 90 days to immigration that can be done by mail if you want to.

I have been done 7 extensions of stay based upon marriage. In my opinion it is much better to get one than making border runs every 90 day and going out for new visa every year.

It only takes one day to get a visa in Savannakhet now. Si Sa Ket is not exactly on the way to Savannakhet from Chiang Mai.

Ubonjoe, does a 40K income have to be from local activities or can it be from overseas revenues? If yes, I assume the embassy would have to confirm this with a letter of attestation. Thanks for your input.

Go to Laos on Monday 26th Jan for marriage visa,have original marriage certificate,bank account over 400 k for 10 weeks,copy of passport and of course original,house rental agreement,passport photos but it also states My wife ID card must be certified do you know were we can do this also have I missed anything.

Ubonjoe, does a 40K income have to be from local activities or can it be from overseas revenues? If yes, I assume the embassy would have to confirm this with a letter of attestation. Thanks for your input.

You would have to be working here and paying taxes to use local income.

You would do a statutory declaration at the Oz embassy for your 40k baht income. They do not ask for proof of your income. You would need to be prepared to show backup proof for the declaration if immigration was to ask for it. (no reports of CM immigration asking for it).

Wifes ID certification just means that the photocopy of it needs to be counter signed by your wife. If doing by income (different poster) usually money must be coming from abroad - otherwise if Thai income you should be on a work visa ......

Go to Laos on Monday 26th Jan for marriage visa,have original marriage certificate,bank account over 400 k for 10 weeks,copy of passport and of course original,house rental agreement,passport photos but it also states My wife ID card must be certified do you know were we can do this also have I missed anything.

You do not need financial proof to get a non-o visa in Savannakhet.

You only need your marriage certificate plus a copy, signed and dated copies of your wife's house book and ID card. Your wife's signature on the copies is the certification.

You need a copy of your passport photo page. A completed application form with 2 attached photos.

Download application form. Savannakhet .pdf

Hi, need to go to Laos myself next month, had an ED visa for the last 2 years but want to change to a dependency visa so need to go to Laos to get a 3 month Non-o before i can change my Visa, i'm not married. Do you think this will be a problem?

Thanks

Hi, need to go to Laos myself next month, had an ED visa for the last 2 years but want to change to a dependency visa so need to go to Laos to get a 3 month Non-o before i can change my Visa, i'm not married. Do you think this will be a problem?

Thanks

You can apply for a single entry non-o based upon being the parent of a Thai. You will need their birth certificate plus a copy and a signed and dated copy of their house book registry.

Unless you are the legal father your by legitimizing your parenthood you cannot get an extension of stay (not a visa) based upon being the parent of a Thai. See: How To Gain Parental Rights As A Father

You can get a 60 day extension to visit you child with just your name on their birth certificate.

• Like 1

Thanks

You can apply for a single entry non-o based upon being the parent of a Thai. You will need their birth certificate plus a copy and a signed and dated copy of their house book registry.

Unless you are the legal father your by legitimizing your parenthood you cannot get an extension of stay (not a visa) based upon being the parent of a Thai. See: How To Gain Parental Rights As A Father

You can get a 60 day extension to visit you child with just your name on their birth certificate.

Hi, i have 2 sons , my eldest will be 4 in March, so once I get a single entry Non-O it should'nt be a problem to then get a Dependency visa. When you go to the Amphur, as long as your child can write its name in Thai I think its straight forward.

Thanks

Thanks

Hi, i have 2 sons , my eldest will be 4 in March, so once I get a single entry Non-O it should'nt be a problem to then get a Dependency visa. When you go to the Amphur, as long as your child can write its name in Thai I think its straight forward.

Thanks

At most Amphoes your child will need to be 7 years old to do the legitimization. If not you have to go through a court. This is clearly stated in the topic I posted a link to.

There is no dependency visa or extension of stay. It is for being the parent of a Thai.

Joe last year I did a one year multiple O visa based on marriage Savannakhet, so my options when it expires is to do the same at Savannaket again or do an extension here locally in Bangkok correct? For how long is the extension good for as I would want another year visa?

Joe last year I did a one year multiple O visa based on marriage Savannakhet, so my options when it expires is to do the same at Savannaket again or do an extension here locally in Bangkok correct? For how long is the extension good for as I would want another year visa?

An extension of stay is for one year.

You don't have to wait for your visa to expire. You can do the extension during the last 30 days of any of your 90 day entries from the visa.

Thanks

Thanks

i did the registration of my childs just a week back in bangkok,

my daughter signed, she is now 4 years,

but a lot of fun how she signed in Thai ( not so easy, but wee suceeded )

just from 10 am to 5 pm - for yellow house book and childs registration,

Done all in 1 day !!

Officers were very helpfull - chok chai municipality;

You don't have to wait for your visa to expire. You can do the extension during the last 30 days of any of your 90 day entries from the visa.

Would I still be able to come in and out of the country every other week as I currently do?

Can the proof of income be from a foreign currency? Where in BKK can one do this?

Would I still be able to come in and out of the country every other week as I currently do?

Can the proof of income be from a foreign currency? Where in BKK can one do this?

You could get a multiple re-entry permit after getting the extension and then leave and re-enter the country as many times as you want.

You would do at Chaeng Wattana immigration in Bangkok,

You would need to get a income letter for the 40k baht income from your embassy to prove foreign earned income.

But I think the best option for you is the multiple entry non-o visa. Your coming and going every 2 weeks would make it difficult to get the extension of stay because of the timing for when you can apply for the extension. Plus you will have a under consideration stamp with a report back date 30 days from when you apply to get the extension stamp.

You could get a multiple re-entry permit after getting the extension and then leave and re-enter the country as many times as you want.

You would do at Chaeng Wattana immigration in Bangkok,

You would need to get a income letter for the 40k baht income from your embassy to prove foreign earned income.

But I think the best option for you is the multiple entry non-o visa. Your coming and going every 2 weeks would make it difficult to get the extension of stay because of the timing for when you can apply for the extension. Plus you will have a under consideration stamp with a report back date 30 days from when you apply to get the extension stamp.

Thanks again Ubonjoe for your great information!

• 2 weeks later...

My current visa expires on June 22, so if I return on June 20 and then exit June 22 to Laos to get another 1 year visa is the timing OK for this?

OR

Which other country is good for a one year multiple O visa based on marriage as I travel to many countries, 400K in the bank is no problem?

My current visa expires on June 22, so if I return on June 20 and then exit June 22 to Laos to get another 1 year visa is the timing OK for this?

OR

Which other country is good for a one year multiple O visa based on marriage as I travel to many countries, 400K in the bank is no problem?

If June 20th is the enter before date on your visa you would get a new 90 day entry. You could leave at anytime during those 90 days to apply for your visa.

If you wanted to delay getting the visa during those last 90 days you could get a re-entry permit it you wanted to travel. A single re-entry permit costs 1000 baht.

OR

If June 20th is the enter before date on your visa you would get a new 90 day entry. You could leave at anytime during those 90 days to apply for your visa.

If you wanted to delay getting the visa during those last 90 days you could get a re-entry permit it you wanted to travel. A single re-entry permit costs 1000 baht.

Thanks Joe, I know Savannakhet is the easiest place to get the visa but I travel to many countries for business, so was wondering which other country is as friendly as them? So I could do a new one year visa and combine it with a business trip. Could a US citizen get one at the Brisbane office, or I could travel to Singapore, Jakarta, or just about any place in Asia, not much business in Savannakhet.

OR

Thanks Joe, I know Savannakhet is the easiest place to get the visa but I travel to many countries for business, so was wondering which other country is as friendly as them? So I could do a new one year visa and combine it with a business trip. Could a US citizen get one at the Brisbane office, or I could travel to Singapore, Jakarta, or just about any place in Asia, not much business in Savannakhet.

Brisbane or any of the consulates or even the embassy in Australia would do it without financial proof.

Jakarta is a maybe. Singapore no or perhaps with financial proof.

• 4 weeks later...

As for the hotel if someone interested, sorry I forgot the name but it is just south of "Savan ITEC"

Here is the picture of Google map

https://plus.google.com/117212072906036286362/posts/DKfbmUFf2pM

laos%2Bhotel.jpg

thanks for hotel map,

can you please provide the exact documents you provided when you got non-o visa ?

i have been with my GF for years but now look to marry so i cat get non-O visa so i can extend my Thai drivers license

(changed back to tourist since getting last year)

one problem i might have is all my funds that come from overseas, go into my FCD account (foreign currency)

it is a thai bank account (krungsri) but my funds are in GBP not THB

i can still provide proof of savings/income well above 400K Baht (when converted) but i dont have book, just card

i would also be looking to get longest visa possible multi entry,

Please give more details about your application

(to all others i already know about other options/places, i am interested in what the OP done exactly)

Hi Ubonjoe, last time I went to the immigration for extension under 2.24 for my single non-o base on being a parent of thai, the officer ask me why I don't want to extend the 1year and just 400k and I told them because of my child is only 6 month old that the amphur cannot issue me the legitimizing of parenthood and I need to go to a court for that. Then the officer just told me that you do not need to go to court just do a DNA test and bring the result to amphur and they can provide me the legitimizing parenthood paper. Is that true? just do a DNA test and I do not need to waste the money and time for the court?

Hi Ubonjoe, last time I went to the immigration for extension under 2.24 for my single non-o base on being a parent of thai, the officer ask me why I don't want to extend the 1year and just 400k and I told them because of my child is only 6 month old that the amphur cannot issue me the legitimizing of parenthood and I need to go to a court for that. Then the officer just told me that you do not need to go to court just do a DNA test and bring the result to amphur and they can provide me the legitimizing parenthood paper. Is that true? just do a DNA test and I do not need to waste the money and time for the court?

Not true. The amphur needs a court order not an unoffcial DNA test. That doesn't cost much and is done in few weeks.

Just come back from Laos.

Made 850km.

Car left on border 250 thb, paid Laos visa 1500 thb, found nice hotel only few minutes from consulate for only 400 thb (TV, air condition, hot water, clean and no mosquito's)

Visa based on marriage, cost 5000 thb with multi entry and no money required.

Very easy and straight forward process. Done in 1 day.

If someone have questions, I will be happy to answer.

Do the hotel have WiFi?