SURVEY: Thailand, Better or Worse?

Scott

Thailand, Better or Worse?  

482 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Really the question and response choices are too vague. Thailand provides a very wide spectrum for expats. Living in Chiang Rai is never going to be the same as living in Phuket.

Hone the questions for a more interesting result.

Do you feel more welcome as an expat in Thailand in 2015 than in 2005 ?

Is Thailand better to live in as an expat, or better as a holiday destination for about a month?

Are the expats you actually meet in Thailand the kind of people you make friends with - or not?

Other question suggestions please ? ;)

• Like 1

Scams are getting worse

Violence toward westerners is getting worse

Corruption getting worse (more and more "suicides", not murders)

Cost of living increasing

Teacher's salaries staying the same, though contracts are getting shorter and shorter

More xenophobia

Foreigners getting blamed for everything....more cracking down on us, when they should be dealing with their own problems

Cost of giggle.gif going up (sorry)

Worse traffic jams

More pollution

Less natural environment

I don't think scams or corruption are getting worse, they have always been here, if you have been here long enough, you can avoid them. As for corruption, there have been advantages and disadvantages to Westerners here in Thailand, I may be wrong, but I can't think of any corruption which has affected me, most of it seems to involve the police, but any policeman I have spoken to about anything have been very helpful.

• Like 1

Really the question and response choices are too vague. Thailand provides a very wide spectrum for expats. Living in Chiang Rai is never going to be the same as living in Phuket.

Hone the questions for a more interesting result.

Do you feel more welcome as an expat in Thailand in 2015 than in 2005 ?

Is Thailand better to live in as an expat, or better as a holiday destination for about a month?

Are the expats you actually meet in Thailand the kind of people you make friends with - or not?

Other question suggestions please ? wink.png

1 The same.

2 Better to live in as an expat.

3 Mostly yes.

I think it got worse with the advent of cheap air tickets from farangistan, thus allowing pikeys and various other low class farangs to travel more than 12 miles from where their mothers delivered them in the local pig shed

I think we should petition to government to tighten up on the visa process, and increase the financial requirements for long term stay

I find it easier to live where they wont.

89% as of now are voting negative. That says all you need to know.whistling.gif

The current tally is more like about 58% negs. But if you were to ask old folks back home the same question, I'd bet it would be slanted towards the negative as well. It seems pretty much every old person yearns for the "good old days."

Much worse so Im relocate to Medellin Colombia . . . . . . . . .

since 2008 i have lost over 10 000b on my exchange rate : problem with Visas : Insane traffic in Pattaya thanks to the 200+ new buses : Thainess going backwards : LT is 1000b before 500b : Food drinks are at least 25% more expensive now : List can go on !

I voted that its a slightly better place for expats to live - In Bangkok at least.

Reasons:

There are widely available shopping facilities with many items which can found back home

The restaurants for the most part have got much better

A better selection of Wines and beers

Improved quality of Condos

Taxi's have got better (especially with the addition of the smart phone apps)

Improved regional transport options (i.e. more domestic flights)

More people speak English (and I have learnt more Thai which also makes things easier)

Social media has made us far more aware of what can happen (issues have probably always occurred, sites such as TV.com can now make us aware more readily).

However:

Traffic is worse

Everything is more expensive

• Like 1

Many of us who worked with good people in Thailand were dismayed by the governments actions. At the same time, anyone who knows the Thai government well puts little faith in them and is ready walk away at the drop of a hat. The ordinary Thai is less fortunate.

feel about the same to me....

someone like the person below is not looking at it objectively.

people think everything is on the increase, when really it's just that NOW everything is reported better.

I mean, there are dozens of places to find information form the CITIZEN JOURNALIST (or facebook junky).

10 years ago, we'll how many people could upload a video/photo to the share to tens of thousands of people?

most of the things in this list have not changed.

~ traffic, yes

~ cost of living, marginally

but everyone else... I doubt it's changed much at all.

Scams are getting worse

Violence toward westerners is getting worse

Corruption getting worse (more and more "suicides", not murders)

Cost of living increasing

Teacher's salaries staying the same, though contracts are getting shorter and shorter

More xenophobia

Foreigners getting blamed for everything....more cracking down on us, when they should be dealing with their own problems

Cost of giggle.gif going up (sorry)

Worse traffic jams

More pollution

Less natural environment

• Like 1