Shocking Difference Between Thai and Farang Toddlers

bowerboy

If you want to see a bunch of screaming, manic kids go to a shopping mall at the weekend in Manila... much worse than the Thais!

My own son was bought up the Thai Way and at 23 is a fine fellow who basically burns through any money his mother (not my wife fortunately) gets her hands on. She constantly complains about this but I find it hilarious as it is not my money!

Why is it, my kid is always better than all the rest of them?

Just a thought..........whistling.gif

He's not saying his kid is ahead of the class.

OB

Didint op say his kid is being raised thai-style?

Yes, and the 100% foreigner kid is the one who is ahead of his and rest of the kids in the class according to what he has observed.

OB

• Like 1

I went to school with a kid whose parents were astrophysicists. He was always top of the class. He did particularly well in maths and physics. He is probably an astrophysicist himself now.

The point is the home environment is of paramount importance to a child's academic, emotional and behavioural development.

If the home life consists of the tv on full blast for 18 hours a day then many studies have shown this is not the best way.

Well said. I went to school and was close friends with two brothers. Intelligence off the charts. Dad was doing well in construction (L.I.E.) Mom a 1st rate house wife / mother. I can't recall the television EVER BEING ON.

If my old friends were busy now splitting the atom, no surprise to me.

Very imprecise! Let us know what behaviours/abilities/competences you are judging comparing? What measures/evidence are you talking about? At that age there is wild difference between kids. It is only a small step on from the difference between kids who start to speak at 1 and those at 2, which in child development terms is irrelevant.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Another Thai-bashing thread from our resident basher, the bower boy. How can you possibly know, at two to three years of age, that "the Farang kid is absolutely miles and miles ahead of every other kid in that Kindergarten." Is he doing advanced calculus? Is he publishing research papers? The answer is you don't know. But being as hopelessly biased as you are, I'm sure you'll come up with a long list of bogus reasons.

why do you have to construe it as Thai bashing, I'd call it observation ....I don't see anything bashing at all about his post....can't someone call it as they see it without being accused of "bashing" an entire ethnicity???

An observation that the white kid is better than the Thai kid, even half-Thai kid? And how did he reach his conclusion, exactly? Because the kid is feeding himself? C'mon. You guys believe him because you want to believe him. I see Thai and foreign kids all the time. No difference at that age. Some Thais are well-behaved, some are not. Same with farang kids. I agree it's parenting, but Thai parents on average are no better or worse than farang parents. Why do you guys always try to make it an us and them all the time?

The thing is that I speak to the childs parents often and I know how much effort they took to do things the right way....many examples but they have told me how mcuh time they spent ensuring no child carers or whatever made him sleep with a hammock...and how much time and effort they put into all eating together and all at the table...

These simple things are difficult to get Thai's to do and never mind the more difficult things..

Now putting our son to sleep is a nightmare becuase he only knew how to fall asleep in a hammock...the Thai's dont seem to be able to see that far ahead....they will suffer sleppless nights and anarchy at bed time becuase rather than put in a little hard work early on (common techniques that every westerner knows such as letting your child fall asleep by themselves)

Same for feeding....better just spoon feed him for 5 years rather than tale the 2 or 3 weeks of battling neede (by every parent) to get the child to do it themselves..

Its always the path of least resistance with very little thought for the future...

I have to work hard and am away all day and often away during the week travelling....it doesnt matter what I do when I am there as what truly counts is what the carer does day in and day out as part of the routine...

The proof is in the pudding as my wife is borderline embarrased when she comapres the difference between the kids and we feel this more acutely becuase we have had several heated (we never argue) discussions about child rearing and she is seeing first hand now exactly what I mean.

I said to her from the very beginning that the problems that arise from all this (sleepless nights, anarchy at feeding time etc etc) will be her problem and not mine and indeed I stick by my guns....after 8:30pm (way past bedtime for a toddler anyway) I a retreat to my man cave and the rest is up to her and same for most things...when it starts getting out of control (for reasons that are claerly attributable to the Thai parenting style) i walk away.

Its not the academice difference that concerns me ....

Its the emotional maturity compared to his peers...

It is no accident he is that way.

Just for one thing amongst many is that I am shocked to see he is pretty much the only kid there that can feed himself...

Most Thai boys get mummied and sticky rice shoved in their chops at the first sign of a wobbly.

Go to any food court when it's busy and they are jumping around, screaming crying etc, the girls seem OK and able to feed themselves. This behaviour of course continues into adult age where they expect the same, to be fed and girls behave.

In that same food court you will find farang kids of a similar age, buying their coupons, choosing their food and eating without help from mummy or daddy, if daddy isn't over with the Thai guy ogling the chang girls. biggrin.png

If someone tries to feed me with the food court crap I would also jumping, screaming and crying....

Bad experience eh?

I think a lot of it has to do how the young kids are brought up. Having parents as teachers might be good but surely puts pressure on the kids, I guess.

With his 2 years he speaks some Lao, Thai and English all mixed up in one sentence and I am sure he has a great future on he joins the Swiss German School.

Edited by MobileContent

ATF...thanks for your kind comments...he is at Kindergarten, there is no homework or school work..basically just structured play...but thanks anyway for your deep insight.

Thanks bkkgooner...yes I am hoping the school will straighten things out a bit for our son and I know what you mean about the spoon feeding, shocking at that age really and yeah the sleeping with the parents or grandparents cannot be good although I know it is widely done here...they just dont want to seem to invest the time now to fix a much bigger problem later.

Thankfully my wife is starting to see the reality now and we will not make the same mistakes with our second son (3 months old now). She is actually pretty amazed at the Farang kid and seeing him for the first time has made her realise the reality of what I have been telling her about parenting and the Western style of structure, discipline and independance.....honestly I think she is quite shocked now she is seeing it for the first time.

I recently had an interesting discussion with my (now 23 yo) son. I was talking about the differences between the US and Thailand. I mentioned how people were less driven for success here and more สบายๆ and how it was nice that the children were allowed a little more time to be kids before being thrust into adulthood. My son was perturbed. "Then why were you always driving me so hard to excel in school?" he asked.

I then proceeded to explain that I believed that was what was necessary for him to have the most options for success and happiness in the context of the USA. Being a slacker is simply not the accepted norm. On the other hand, here in Thailand, I believe that being too driven to succeed actually puts you outside of the norm to some degree. I am not saying either is right or wrong. Each has it's plusses and minuses. I doubt Thailand would ever put a man on the moon, but the USA would never be able to pull off Songkran on the moon! The point is that you are living in a society and culture that has it's own context. You need to consider that as you make your choices as to what it most important for your life and your children's future.

If I were raising my son here, I would try to let him enjoy the best of Thai culture and people, while still attempting to bring a little bit of the west to his discipline and motivation. Too much of either seems less than optimal, and it is obviously a difficult balance to achieve.

"In his book Outliers, Malcolm Gladstone talks about the reason that the Chinese are so much better at mathematics than their Western counterparts. Basically their numbering system is far more logical than the western system which makes calculations much easier. As the basics are easier to learn their mind doesnt need as much time to digest the information and so they progress more quickly but that "headstart gives them an exponential advantge over time."

As far as I am aware the Thai numbering system is much the same , in spoken word, as Cantonese .

It has little or nothing to do with genes. Psychologists have always debated the difference between nature and nurture.

Having two parents that are teachers can be more of a curse than a blessing because they will always try to hothouse the child and every person I have ever met that has been hot housed has ended up being a social inadequate.

They never live up to the parents' expectations of going to an Ivy League university and often turn to drugs and alcohol and are hopeless at forming relationships.

A loving caring supportive environment is what children need to excel. Those that can,do. Those that can't teach. My best teachers were those that came from a practical background not just pure theorists.

It is a case of home training. I know two cases here and they follow the same pattern. The Thai baby is NEVER alone unless he is sleeping. The moment he wakes he is in the arms of someone all the time until it is time to sleep again. In most of our Western countries, at a certain moment of his life, he is put into a pen with toys. If he wants any of them he must go and get them, SO he learns to crawl, then he learns to stand up, holding on to the wooden bars And so on and so on. He must learn to amuse himself. I do not mean that he stays in that pen all day, but Mum has to do the housework. He learns to be independent. I noticed in France that they keep the babies in nappies until at least 2 years. If you don't they are supposed to have some pschyo problems. In Australia they are 'potty' trained long before. Here they don't even let the kids crawl, they make them walk straight away from some early age.

I don't think for one minute that the Thai kids are less intelligent at the beginning. They are taught to be less intelligent that's all.

And I think that all you brilliant machos that have children should take a hand in bringing them up. Unless of course, you aren't too intelligent yourselves.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

I have a Thai child not my own. Been with me since birth. Usually it's just me and him. He has had very little thai influence as far as thai living is concerned. But he does attend a Thai school. He is streets ahead of the other kids emotionally and socially. He designs the games to play. He organises his mates into groups for games. The kids just follow him. He can hold his own in adult conversation in thai or English. At 9 he does the washing, dishes vaccum many other jobs. When he was even 3,the Thai would say how much more independent and mature he seemed compare to the other kids. The thai continue to make that comment through the years.
It's not because of school or being thai or being in Thailand.
They just baby their kids too much.

They also grow up with a very limited (if any) idea of responsibility and or accountability that is much more instilled in Western Children for sure

I went to school with a kid whose parents were astrophysicists. He was always top of the class. He did particularly well in maths and physics. He is probably an astrophysicist himself now.

The point is the home environment is of paramount importance to a child's academic, emotional and behavioural development.

If the home life consists of the tv on full blast for 18 hours a day then many studies have shown this is not the best way.

And I know a professor of astronomy whose father was a migrant cane cutter in North Queensland. What was his special environment - a clear sky?

How many languages does white boy speak?

What's with the 'color' differentiation?

As soon as you enter 'color' into the equation, you haver lost the plot.

Well the op had lost the plot then, he used the term farang kid which typically infers a Lilly white so AOA question is justified so put you mock PC outrage away and wind your neck in

• Like 2

I have a Thai child not my own. Been with me since birth. Usually it's just me and him. He has had very little thai influence as far as thai living is concerned. But he does attend a Thai school. He is streets ahead of the other kids emotionally and socially. He designs the games to play. He organises his mates into groups for games. The kids just follow him. He can hold his own in adult conversation in thai or English. At 9 he does the washing, dishes vaccum many other jobs. When he was even 3,the Thai would say how much more independent and mature he seemed compare to the other kids. The thai continue to make that comment through the years.

It's not because of school or being thai or being in Thailand.

They just baby their kids too much.

They also grow up with a very limited (if any) idea of responsibility and or accountability that is much more instilled in Western Children for sure
Yes quite this concept upbringing , responsibility and accountability is very prevalent amongst TV posters who pose questions such as where can I buy a gun in Thailand so I can shoot people while I am unconscious like I would in the US Edited by Soutpeel

I think you are a bit of a thicko. You have already stated both his parents are teachers. They are teaching him and helping him with his homework while you are swilling Chang. The apple doesn't fall far from the tree.

You think they have a lot of homework at the age of 2 years and 8 months ?

Anthony5, on 21 Jan 2015 - 19:29, said:
ATF, on 21 Jan 2015 - 14:39, said:

I think you are a bit of a thicko. You have already stated both his parents are teachers. They are teaching him and helping him with his homework while you are swilling Chang. The apple doesn't fall far from the tree.

You think they have a lot of homework at the age of 2 years and 8 months ?

Yes how to build a condo out of Lego or maybe he can cook a 99 baht breakfast.

When I was 6 I told my mother I couldn't stand her cooking anymore and made my own food.

• Like 1

I suspect it says more about the op's parenting abilities. After 7 years in Thailand my child at age 8 is in the top 90 percentile for the state of California for her age group according to the goverments annual tests. This after 1 half year in grade 1. But that is perhaps because I was an active participant in her upbringing. Her mixed ethnicity has nothing to do with it.

The OP didn't say it was the kids ethnicity, he said it was the parenting. You can continue patting yourself on the back now....