Home visit required by korat office for marriage visa extension

made my first application for 1 year extension of my non imm o marriage visa at korat which went smoothly as was well prepared having checked in with them week previous. During the 30 day consideration period we are to await a telephone call to arrange for a home visit by an official . Apparently this applies to everyone,not just new applicants and we had to draw a directions map for them which I had pre done. My wife says this is a new directive applying to all immigration offices but I doubt that not having heard of this before and thinking of how many officers they would have to recruit to achieve this. I have no issues with the visit apart from having to wait around for the call which could be anytime over next month and worried about missing call if I'm swimming in shower etc.and can't go anywhere in meantime. has anyone heard about this particularly if you use Korat office? We also had to fill in another form ( totally in thai) requiring additional but mostly duplicate information which even my wife had difficulty understanding some of ,although they were helpful in enabling her to complete it, and had to get " korasong "? from amphore which is basically a confirmation of the marriage certificate. All bureaucracy of course but glad we we prepared. Welcome comments and advice please

A home visit is normal for the first extension of stay based upon marriage. It has been that way for many years.

They only do them for the first one after that no more home visits.

You do not have to stay at home waiting for them to call.. They will call in advance to let you know when they are coming.

• Like 2

We have given map for last five marriage extensions, been told to expect visit but so far never had one, I do know of people who have had inspection, stay cool do not worry

Same experience no visits ever including for the first extension.

I think if you show up with your children, have all your documents and you are dressed well you are most likely not going to have a visit.

I had a home visit. My application wasn't in Korat and it is an official directive. When the guy called to make an appointment he made it clear that he expected us to help with his petrol cost! He also warned that if we weren't in when he arrived that the application would have to be started again although I doubt that's true. The immigration policeman filled out a form himself at our home which was a duplicate of the information given on the application. He took photos of the house and of us outside and inside, and needed signed ID from a couple of neighbors to confirm I lived there. They were at the house for about 45 mins. So other than the usual corruption associated with Thai bureaucracy it's nothing to be concerned about

I think if you show up with your children, have all your documents and you are dressed well you are most likely not going to have a visit.

My wife, son and mother in law were all in tow when I applied. I was wearing shoes, jeans and a long sleeved shirt and all the paperwork was in order, but still got a visit. I agree that you should dress appropriately as I know of at least one guy that was asked to leave for wearing flip flops and shorts.

I go to Korat Immigration.

Four years now and never a problem of any kind.

At the time of my first application for my Non O, I was told that a visit was required, unless I could provide a statement from the head of the village with his photo, within a week's time and then no visit is required.

I provided the statement and photo and no visit was required.

I have always been pleased with the service and people who work out of the Korat office.

Considering the horror stories I read on TV about other immigration offices, I think Korat must be one of the best to deal with, if not the best.

I have seen people have problems in the Korat office, but they were always the rude, arrogant expats who treat the officers like trash.

Follow the rules and be a decent guy and you should have no problems in Korat.

Consider yourself lucky if you report to Korat.

I do!

• Like 1

I had a home visit. My application wasn't in Korat and it is an official directive. When the guy called to make an appointment he made it clear that he expected us to help with his petrol cost! He also warned that if we weren't in when he arrived that the application would have to be started again although I doubt that's true. The immigration policeman filled out a form himself at our home which was a duplicate of the information given on the application. He took photos of the house and of us outside and inside, and needed signed ID from a couple of neighbors to confirm I lived there. They were at the house for about 45 mins. So other than the usual corruption associated with Thai bureaucracy it's nothing to be concerned about

I'd make it perfectly clear,he better come with a full tank,cos i don't keep money in the house and run credit up at the co-op.

I go to Korat Immigration.

Four years now and never a problem of any kind.

At the time of my first application for my Non O, I was told that a visit was required, unless I could provide a statement from the head of the village with his photo, within a week's time and then no visit is required.

I provided the statement and photo and no visit was required.

I have always been pleased with the service and people who work out of the Korat office.

Considering the horror stories I read on TV about other immigration offices, I think Korat must be one of the best to deal with, if not the best.

I have seen people have problems in the Korat office, but they were always the rude, arrogant expats who treat the officers like trash.

Follow the rules and be a decent guy and you should have no problems in Korat.

Consider yourself lucky if you report to Korat.

I do!

One women there is particularly helpful.

I messed up my marriage extension last year and had to get a new non-o from Vientiene. Despite 17 years of previous back to back extensions ( 14 through marriage) come extension time of my new visa immi apologetically told me the whole process had to start again from scratch. Fair enough. I was a bit concerned about a home visit as me and my wife split our time between Bangkok and Isaan and I wasn't sure when we'd next be back but all they wanted were 2 witnesses to say we lived together. This was in Khon Kaen

Edited by mca

I had the visit and was also informed before hand by the lady processing my application in the immigration office that 3,000 baht in a brown envelope was required to cover their expenses. My immigration office is in Nan.

And did you cooperate with this blatant act of blackmail?