bus number 53 hualumpong train station to khao san road/banglampu/thewes

monkey dog

this sneaky bus has evaded my attention forever till someone pointed it out to me.

so i figure khao san roaders should know about it.

main reason it gets missed is that it doesnt go from the usual bus stand at hualampong but it goes down the right hand side road when facing hualumpong station from the front.and there is no designated bus stop there where it does stop. so you come out the front of the station past the kfc then turn left then left again so about twenty meters from kfc then just stand there till you see it and flag it down. it is the red cream model bus . fare under ten baht to where ever you want to go..

• Like 1

actually quite a while ago now when i would stay in that area i would get off the train at bang sue station and catch a bus from there to banglampu. much quicker. cant remember which bus now as it was awhile ago. also a mrt station at bang sue station.

Edited by monkey dog

Monkey Dog: the bus from Bang Sue station is bus number 70 it comes once an hour, you have to get off at the Krok Wua intersection and walk from there to Khaosan (150m).

there are a few of them that go to sanam luang (look/ask for that) with better frequency. up samsen road into banglampu.

you have to ask/look on the front of the bus for the direction as it is a turn around point so buses both coming and going go past the station waiting point going in the as same direction

Edited by monkey dog
  • Like 1

Better idea ....Get off at Samsen station and catch Number 9 easy 9 THB

have been told of this jump off but never actually done it or knew the number thanks.

also try googlemaps on you phone for buses. eg http://goo.gl/maps/qkl2F

(50 baht for thai SIM card)

still would prefer bang sue station as it has a 7-11 on the station to get your snacks and also the mrt if you want to go elsewhere.

Edited by monkey dog

when i say try googlemaps, i mean it is not always accurate, somewhat like google translate for thai - use at own peril.

ok so i am pretty sure it is bus number 65 that is the most frequent from bang sue to banglampoo .

(i also think someone has hacked the bmta bus site, possibly some taxi or tuk tuk fiend paid someone to do the hack job, it too is inaccurate)

Edited by monkey dog

I love the 53 because it circles around old Bangkok from talad Bobay to Hua Lampong to China town, flower market, wat Po to Khao San, Sam Sen and back to talad Bobay or turn around in the other direction.

I use that bus to explore old Bangkok, get off somewhere and keep going.

I love the 53 because it circles around old Bangkok from talad Bobay to Hua Lampong to China town, flower market, wat Po to Khao San, Sam Sen and back to talad Bobay or turn around in the other direction.

yes did notice that it goes to the places where tourist want to be.thumbsup.gif

Re refreshments and 7 11s there's one opposite Samsen station your problem is solved

hmm ok but i still dont like it. the station seems desolate and soulless without character. whereas bang sue and hua lumpong have a vibe to them somehow. better to hang around at when waiting for the train. other shops besides seven too.

I quite often stay in a hotel close to Hualamphong, and on the odd occasion I wanted to go to Kaosan I would walk or tuk-tuk or taxi to Sri Phraya pier and get the boat to Phra Athit. Fast and easy. Not to mention much pleasanter than sitting in traffic in a hot bus.

the buses are great if you do not have a time you need to be somewhere ,

"Maybe" in the morning they have a timetable but later in the day you will get 3 of the same bus number back to back and then nothing for 20 minutes or more.....

But its a better view than street level in a taxi :)

"hmm ok but i still dont like it. the station seems desolate and soulless without character. whereas bang sue and hua lumpong have a vibe to them somehow. better to hang around at when waiting for the train. other shops besides seven too."

aha ok you want to catch something from there as opposed to a "jump off", fair enough..... for me,I just get off my southern train at 5.30 am on my monthly visits to BKK and can be in my hotel at samsen soi 4 within 10 mins usually.

It is what it is, a suburban station, In 14 years of living BKK I have never actually caught a train from there, always Hualampong

i always wondered where you got the 53 at hualampong.

it dosent actually go past khao san road but along samsen road then right onto pra atit road - near enough though

i love travelling on the buses, always have done everywhere i've visited or worked. hot yes, uncomfortable sure, but you see so much and feel the rhythm of the people and city...

Is this thread part of the 'cheap Charlie's brigade. Buses 9 baht ... I'll stick with my limousine and driver thanks, much more pleasant than that bus your on about. :-)

Pardon us hoi palloi.

Have we violated your upper class sensibilities?

• Like 2

yes did notice that it goes to the places where tourist want to be.thumbsup.gif

Never saw more than one (1) tourist on bus 53 neither around saphan Phut or talad Klong Thom whistling.gif

• 2 weeks later...

note: if you catch this 53 bus from praathit road in banglampoo going in the direction towards the grand palace it wont actually go to hualampong. there is also a lot of congestion and road blockage/constriction currently, so try going the other direction to thewes first then hua lampong. much better would be just to get the 65 going in that thewes direction to bang sue station instead.

Edited by rabid old goat