Thailand expects tourism boost after street protests

webfact

Thailand expects tourism boost after street protests
Reuters

BANGKOK (Reuters) - Thailand expects around 27.8 million tourists this year, the government said on Wednesday, up 12.2 percent on 2014 when the capital was gripped by anti-government protests and the murder of two British tourists on a holiday island made headlines worldwide.

Thailand is under martial law following the May 22 coup, but the government has vowed to attract more tourists to the country, famous for its Buddhist temples, golden beaches and raunchy night life.

"The prime minister has ordered every public sector to urgently build confidence and fix every tourist problems quickly in order to rebuild confidence for tourists, including hygiene, safety and the transport system development," junta spokesman Yongyuth Mayalarp told reporters.

The government predicts tourism revenue to reach 1.4 trillion baht (28.42 billion pounds) from foreign arrivals this year.

Full story: https://uk.news.yahoo.com/thailand-expects-tourism-boost-street-protests-120156460--business.html#yDOTAg9

-- YAHOO! News 2015-01-22

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

I may call TAT and ask them next weeks lottery numbers

I know some high officials of the TAT but they can't speak english. Thailand only wai2.gif.pagespeed.ce.goigDuXn4XwDTX7uci alt=wai2.gif width=20 height=20> alt=clap2.gif>

Wouldn't surprise me actually if no one in TAT could speak another language smile.png

• Like 1

After a quick whizz down the other week to an eerily quiet Patts at a time of year when, in the past you couldn't move or had to book a room 2 months in advance, I hope it picks up for the sake of the many people dependent on tourism for an income....

Wonderful news. More wild guesses and made up numbers from the boys at TAT who have their collective heads so far up their own <profanity removed >, I don't think they even realize there are other countries out there, and that tourists magically appear wishing to spend oodles of cash here, all the while being treated like crap, scammed, beaten up, murdered, etc etc.

You can always rely on them to post something "positive" however after any recent negative publicity, all aimed at the gullible. Cos after all, this is Thailand, where if you say something, it MUST be true.

I'm still waiting on the "honest cabbie returns XXX baht" story, which I expect will appear very soon.

All of these announcements by the junta over the last, uhm, nine months, are the product of someone who exhibits symptoms of pseudologia fantastica.

EDIT: Someone tell me how to turn off the spellchecker that misspells any words with more than two syllables, please!

Edited by HeijoshinCool

I am guessing there will be a massive influx of tourists to see the international sporting events at Pattaya. The change from a place to get and easy beer and company must be well on the way now and the bulldozers at work clearing land for the new venues.

The great thing about "expecting" is that it's so easy. You just sit back and "expect" things to happen.

Digibum Expects ThaiVisa Friendliness to Skyrocket 24% in 2015

Digibum Expects All Bangkok Taxi Drivers Will Begin Using Meters in 2015

Digibum Expects the Thai Educational System Will Exceed Western Standards by 2020

This is so fun. I love "expecting"

• Like 2

Besides the Buddhist Temples how many other countries have Golden beaches , (some cases better) and raunchy night clubs , I rest my case coffee1.gif

Ah yes, but how many countries actually have the golden beaches in the raunchy night spots?

I rest my case of beer.rolleyes.gif

• Like 2

I am guessing there will be a massive influx of tourists to see the international sporting events at Pattaya. The change from a place to get and easy beer and company must be well on the way now and the bulldozers at work clearing land for the new venues.

Yes Alan, huge numbers will come to see the Tour de France, the F1 Grand Prix and international mega superstar concerts in Thailand this year. Most will probably take advantage of the new, easy to get, cheap extended tourist visas and stay longer to take in all the cultural aspects, beaches and visit the famous Islands.

Shhhh - there is a rumor Elvis will be playing here too, whistling.gif