Flying squirrels in Thailand.

sandyf

It's a Sugar Glider. A popular pet over here. Native to Australia though, so wouldn't have lasted long in the wild.

Sent from my ASUS_T00I using Tapatalk 2

My wife thought that but when I looked them up they appear to be much smaller with different colourings and markings. This one would have been about 15 inches nose to tail.

The other thing is we live in the country outside Chonburi, nobody around here would keep a pet like that.

Problem is if you try and Google, all you get is the place in Chiang Mai.

I would get the cat checked,flying squirrels can carry Rabies or novo virus.

We have over 20 cats, not sure which one killed it or if they found it dead, they will play with anything they find dead, snakes, rats etc.

Well aware of the rabies problem, all the cats have been to the vets for treatment. My brother in law does the dogs himself, between us there are 10 dogs.

I have heard of them in Thailand before but never seen one nor do I know where to look.

Seems there are several species in South East Asia some of which will be in Thailand : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flying_squirrel.

In a Thai pest control site we have : http://www.rentokil.co.th/en/pest-guides/other-wildlife/flying-squirrel/ Don't know how accurate that is.

And this one : https://books.google.co.th/books?id=90BgNrt0CPkC&pg=PA286&lpg=PA286&dq=thailand+flying+squirrels&source=bl&ots=0bWXWtDGLR&sig=qASLKwawdCJe-VqdEsp74oH5Wy0&hl=en&sa=X&ei=qfTAVJvZJqbUmgXIq4HwCQ&ved=0CEwQ6AEwBDgK#v=onepage&q=thailand%20flying%20squirrels&f=false

Edited by Robby nz

"Sunda flying lemur" ??

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sunda_flying_lemur

Didn't know they were in Thailand far less Chonburi

From the map in the WiKi it looks like a rare sight on the east coast.

In Thai:

http://th.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E0%B8%9A%E0%B9%88%E0%B8%B2%E0%B8%87

Picture search in English:

https://www.google.com/search?q=Sunda+flying+lemur&source=lnms&tbm=isch

Picture search in Thai:

https://www.google.com/search?tbm=isch&sa=1&q=%E0%B8%9A%E0%B9%88%E0%B8%B2%E0%B8%87&oq=%E0%B8%9A%E0%B9%88%E0%B8%B2%E0%B8%87

Edited by KhunBENQ

If it's only a sugar glider your sweet it's the drop bears you gotta look out forthumbsup.gif

the old vegemite on the back of the neck fixes that problem, boy did we have fun with the kiwi boys when we did combined excercises.....

• Like 1

One thing that popped in my mind. Whilst living in Yangon (Myanmar) I used to sometimes get some scoff at a restaurant called Le Planteur - and I'm sure little guys like this used to fly between the palm trees..... I'll speak to my old mates back there and report back.

Consensus from the locals is that it was probably a pet at one time, but too valuable to be from the immediate vicinity.

I did find a reference to flying squirrels in Thailand, normally in the forest regions but are now very rare and an endangered species.

We have over 20 cats, not sure which one killed it or if they found it dead, they will play with anything they find dead, snakes, rats etc.

Well aware of the rabies problem, all the cats have been to the vets for treatment. My brother in law does the dogs himself, between us there are 10 dogs.

20 cats and 10 dogs!

Are you serious? ?

20 cats and 10 dogs!

Are you serious? ?

Perfectly. People bring us cats & dogs they do not want, also any strays that turn up.

This is the cat 'Motel'

post-201813-0-47683600-1422083032_thumb.

The following 13 species of flying squirrel are native to Thailand. Odds are it was a pet though. They are sold as pets.

Out of interest, are you near any large forests, e.g. Khao Khieow - Khao Chompoo Wildlife Sanctuary?

กระรอกบินแก้มแดง, Red-cheeked Flying Squirrel
Hylopetes spadiceus

กระรอกบินเล็กเขาสูง, Particoloured Flying Squirrel
Hylopetes alboniger

กระรอกบินเล็กแก้มแดง, Red-checked Flying Squirrel
Hylopetes lepidus

กระรอกบินเล็กแก้มขาว, Phayre’s Flying Squirrel
Hylopetes phayrei

กระรอกบินจิ๋วท้องขาว, Temminck’s Flying Squirrel
Petinomys setosus

กระรอกบินจิ๋วมลายู, Vordermann’s Flying Squirrel
Petinomys vordermanni

พญากระรอกบินหูแดง, Red Giant Flying Squirrel
Petaurista petaurista

พญากระรอกบินหูดำหางสีเข้ม, Indian Giant Flying Squirrel
Petaurista philippensis

พญากระรอกบินหูดำ, Lesser Giant Flying Squirrel
Petaurista elegans

พญากระรอกบินหูขาว, Red-and-white Giant Flying Squirrel
Petaurista alborufus

กระรอกบินตีนขน, Hairy-footed Flying Squirrel
Belomys pearsonii

พญากระรอกบินสีดำ, Black Flying Squirrel
Aeromys tephromelas

กระรอกบินสีเขม่า, Smoky Flying Squirrel
Pteromyscus pulverulentus

Edited by Briggsy

Your brother in law does the dogs,himself,well each to their own,i guess.

I have seen the local "white squirrels" leap more then 10 meters from limb to limb, but do not think they have the 'webbing" of a real flying squirrel.

Anyone know the real name of the white ones? Look a lot like the Douglas Squirrel of California, but are as white as a ghost.

A lot in my area. I watch their antics every morning.

It's a Sugar Glider. A popular pet over here. Native to Australia though, so wouldn't have lasted long in the wild.

Sent from my ASUS_T00I using Tapatalk 2

What utter nonsense there are 44 species of flying squirrels in the world several of which are native

to Thailand Malaysia and Borneo. You can call them what you want but they are flying squirrels in

the rest of the world and are certainly not native to Australia alone. facepalm.gif

I have seen the local "white squirrels" leap more then 10 meters from limb to limb, but do not think they have the 'webbing" of a real flying squirrel.

Anyone know the real name of the white ones? Look a lot like the Douglas Squirrel of California, but are as white as a ghost.

Colour alone will not identify the species as many species are the same colour as others and a number of species come in a variety of colours. However unless you live in the middle of protected forest, the squirrels you see will almost certainly belong to the genus Callosciurus. This genus is known in English as the beautiful tree squirrels. 6 species occur in Thailand.

They will have a go at some spectacular leaps and they sometimes miss resulting in a tumble. After which they usually go back and try it again surprisingly.

• Like 1

Colour alone will not identify the species as many species are the same colour as others and a number of species come in a variety of colours. However unless you live in the middle of protected forest, the squirrels you see will almost certainly belong to the genus Callosciurus. This genus is known in English as the beautiful tree squirrels. 6 species occur in Thailand.

They will have a go at some spectacular leaps and they sometimes miss resulting in a tumble. After which they usually go back and try it again surprisingly.

They are acrobatic clowns of a sort. Especially when playing in the tall bamboo.

They will climb out to the end of a branch until it bends almost to where they want to go and then leap.

It's pretty entertaining.

They also travel long distances on the high voltage transmission lines.

Thanks for the information.

The other genus seen outside of forest is the much smaller Tamiops, striped tree squirrels. They are considerably smaller than the beautiful tree squirrels. They are brown with clear buff stripes along the flanks. They move amazingly quickly. They can be seen in parks and gardens as well as forests all over Thailand. They often come to ground to feed. These are not the white squirrels that you see.

My wife thought that but when I looked them up they appear to be much smaller with different colourings and markings. This one would have been about 15 inches nose to tail.

The other thing is we live in the country outside Chonburi, nobody around here would keep a pet like that.

It's definitely a Sugar Glider. The colour would change slightly after death and you can buy them all over the place. Males are only 300 - 600 Baht at most pet markets.

Here is a pic.

post-18203-14220874216329_thumb.jpg

It's definitely a Sugar Glider. The colour would change slightly after death and you can buy them all over the place. Males are only 300 - 600 Baht at most pet markets.

Here is a pic.

Flying Squirrel, heres lots of pics

https://www.google.co.th/search?q=flying+squirrel+pics&gws_rd=cr&ei=qWfDVLLTI43d8AWYmoLYCw

The following 13 species of flying squirrel are native to Thailand. Odds are it was a pet though. They are sold as pets.

Out of interest, are you near any large forests, e.g. Khao Khieow - Khao Chompoo Wildlife Sanctuary?

No, trees are fairly sparse around here, would need to actually fly to get between them, hence the query.

Learnt something new about Thailand.

Your brother in law does the dogs,himself,well each to their own,i guess.

If we get the dogs as pups they are taken to the vet but with strays it is too risky trying to get them in the vehicle.

They usually get two to throw a heavy rug over the dog to hold it while he sticks the needle in.