All taxis required to use taximeter, Thai DLT official says

webfact

All taxis required to use taximeter, DLT official says

BANGKOK, 22 January 2015 (NNT) – The Department of Land Transport (DLT) has warned all taxi drivers to use the taximeter for pricing as appointed from the authority in keeping with the international standard.

The DLT Deputy Director-General Chirute Visalachitra has denied the claim from taxi drivers and operators that the current taximeter pricing rate is unfair to operators providing services to passengers from Bangkok's Suvarnabhumi Airport.

The taxi drivers and operators have claimed that the unfair pricing scale has left them with no choice but to provide a flat-rate price service without using the taximeter.

On this issue, the DLT Deputy Director-General insisted that the new fare rate for taxis have already been calculated to reflect on the true costs involved in the service which includes calculations for the costs when traveling with no passenger. The DLT has also allowed the additional 50 baht service fee for taxi drivers when servicing passengers from Suvarnabhumi and Don Mueang Airport.

He has said that the department forbids the use of the flat-rate pricing and that all taxis are required to use the taximeter when servicing passengers. He has also stressed that the newly adjusted fare already covers the service cost when operating from the airport.

However, the DLT will be considering the advantages and disadvantages on the request to charge a luggage fare as requested from taxi operators.

The DLT will implement modern technology for management, which will improve the service quality of the drivers in order to enhance the taxi service, said the DLT Deputy Director.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2015-01-22 footer_n.gif

If you think BKK taxi is bad, wait till you go to KUL

http://loyaltylobby.com/2013/10/09/whine-wednesdays-hot-meters-in-kuala-lumpur/

By law all taxi is KL have a large "This is a metered taxi haggling is prohibited" sticker on.
Is say exactly what it meant:
1. Yes, there is a meter, but it did not say if it need to be operational.
2. Haggling is prohibited mean just pay what were fix fare the driver tells you.

Is this only for Bangkok or all over Thailand ?

Next time I enter a taxi and the driver refiuse to use the meter I will show them the thai script of DLT Deputy Director-General Chirute Visalachitra speech , then I'm sure the driver will understand I'm not a stupid farang. .

Farang usual are big size and weigh a lot more than Thai people.

Hence Farang should pay a fuel premium.

If farang flying into Thailand can afford to pay thousands (some times tens of thousand) in jet fuel surcharge, I am sure they would not mind paying a few hundred Bahts in LPG fuel surcharge.

Farang needs to pay extra because they are rich and can afford to. Thai people are poor and have no money to pay.

No need to remind us how the general thinking are heresad.png

Can I have the business card of DLT Deputy Director-General Chirute Visalachitra ?

The luggage fee is a new one , they always bitch at me because I have large suitcases , somehow that extra 100 pounds means I have to pay more but not if there is an extra 100 pound Thai ????

Can I have the business card of DLT Deputy Director-General Chirute Visalachitra ?

The luggage fee is a new one , they always bitch at me because I have large suitcases , somehow that extra 100 pounds means I have to pay more but not if there is an extra 100 pound Thai ????

Haven't heard them complaining and demanding extra when squeezing 5-6 Thai passengers into a cab.

Well, next time I'm refused the meter, and the cop standing right next to me does nothing, who do I report the driver to without getting the crap beaten out of me when I take a picture of his licence?

NBo need to report him, just keep a copy of the OP on your phone to show him, and everything will be fine. coffee1.gif

Well, next time I'm refused the meter, and the cop standing right next to me does nothing, who do I report the driver to without getting the crap beaten out of me when I take a picture of his licence?

NBo need to report him, just keep a copy of the OP on your phone to show him, and everything will be fine. coffee1.gif

Yeah, right, like they take notice of silly things like rules, laws or regulations lol

Farang usual are big size and weigh a lot more than Thai people.

Hence Farang should pay a fuel premium.

If farang flying into Thailand can afford to pay thousands (some times tens of thousand) in jet fuel surcharge, I am sure they would not mind paying a few hundred Bahts in LPG fuel surcharge.

Farang needs to pay extra because they are rich and can afford to. Thai people are poor and have no money to pay.

I'm a small size farang and I weigh less than 70 kilos.

Jet fuel surcharge is imposed by the airline and not something which can be negotiated.

I am NOT rich! Thais watch too many TV soap operas which picture farangs living in large houses with big gardens and a swimming pool. In reality, life is not like that in the West and the majority of Westerners earn far less than Thais imagine. I can only afford to travel once a year for a couple of weeks if I'm lucky.

And if Thai people are so poor, how come I see them driving around in BMWs, Mercedes and Ferraris?

I am 80 Kg. I do get "farang big ... you pay more" from motorcycle guys but not taxis.

I am not rich. Work at a Thai government school. Thai government salary. I don't fly home every year.

I am sure I am not alone.

Having lived in Thailand for a few years, and having worked in businesses for many more, I can see that Thailand suffers from an inability to implement anything, even the most simple. Without implementation there can be no change, just like without enforcement there is little point in having laws.

• Like 1