US Border Patrol shoots, kills man who drove through checkpoint

webfact

Border Patrol shoots, kills man who drove through checkpoint

EL PASO, Texas (AP) — U.S. Border Patrol agents shot and killed a man who had driven through a West Texas checkpoint without stopping for inspection, Customs and Border Protection said Friday.

The shooting happened around 5 p.m. Thursday, after a motorist pulled into the inspection lane at the Border Patrol checkpoint on Interstate 10 in Sierra Blanca, about 80 miles southeast of El Paso, but then didn't stop, Customs and Border Protection said in a statement. Border Patrol agents pursued the vehicle for 30 miles before it finally stopped.

Two agents then approached and opened fire on the driver, killing him. The Border Patrol Statement did not say what provoked the agents, but said a pistol-shaped pellet gun was recovered from the vehicle.

A message left with a Border Patrol spokesman in El Paso wasn't returned.

It was the second deadly Border Patrol shooting in Texas this week. Early Wednesday, along the South Texas border with Mexico, the Starr County Sheriff's Office said one person was shot and killed on the U.S. side of the border when Border Patrol agents came under fire.

Sheriff's officials say agents had apprehended four drug smugglers and were searching for another when shots were exchanged between the fifth suspect and an agent.

The suspect was struck several times and later died at a hospital. The agent was not injured.

Later that day, a Border Patrol agent asked the full 5th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals in New Orleans to rehear his appeal of a ruling by a three-judge appeals court panel that the Constitution protected a teen killed by a border agent, even though the teen was in Mexico when the agent fired at him from the U.S. side of the Rio Grande in June 2010. The agent says he shot Sergio Adrian Hernandez Guereca when rock throwers attacked him near a bridge between El Paso, Texas, and Ciudad Juarez, Chihuahua, Mexico.

aplogo.jpg
-- (c) Associated Press 2015-01-24

Well it says it's at a Border Control checkpoint on I10. That means it's not at a border crossing. Technically I read that the jurisdiction lies some distance inside the US (80 miles?) which makes sense given that they're tasked with the duty of protecting the nation's borders, but still a bit police-state-like and disturbing. Nevertheless, sounds like a suicide by cop.

• Like 1

Years ago, I was in the States visiting a friend. My friend (a very all American family man) was driving along the freeway. The highway patrol came up behind us like a blitzkrieg Messerschmidt with lights flashing. My friend stopped the car. Turned off the engine. Placed both his hands on the dashboard on each side of the steering wheel and waited for the officer to approach. Freaked me out. Such is the fear of police by the average citizen. Why does that have to be smart in a civilized country? or is it civilized?

The government wants you to worry always so that you never question their motives.

Years ago, I was in the States visiting a friend. My friend (a very all American family man) was driving along the freeway. The highway patrol came up behind us like a blitzkrieg Messerschmidt with lights flashing. My friend stopped the car. Turned off the engine. Placed both his hands on the dashboard on each side of the steering wheel and waited for the officer to approach. Freaked me out. Such is the fear of police by the average citizen. Why does that have to be smart in a civilized country? or is it civilized?

Your friend was smart, not scared or in fear. Putting his hands where they can be seen is on page 1 of “How to Avoid a Ticket”. Page 2 covers, turning on the inside lights if your pulled over at night. Simple things like that will put the officer at ease, and less likely to issue a ticket.

Agreed.

Doing simple things like that will put the officer at ease, and less likely to issue a ticket... or blow your brains out.

Incidentally, why don't they start using non-lethal means for subduing people in situations that might turn violent? The technology exists.

The moral of the story is stop and wait to be checked at checkpoints.

I watched the other day a copper flagging a couple on a motorbike both without helmets.They started to slow down and as they got level with him the driver of the scooter suddenly gave it the hammer,the cop tried to run and grab but too late.He just stood there smiling for a second then laughed and walked off. GREAT POLICE WORK

Tough job...border patrol...uniform officers of all bent...seem to be jittery these days...people are still getting shot...within the US...unarmed and with their hands up...video evidence of more than one case...

It is done to put the officer at ease. It is not because you are afraid of the officer, it is because you have respect for the risk they are taking.

• Like 2

We aren't afraid of the police in the USA, we are however aware that they have a dangerous job and many are killed at road side stops (I'm assuming also your friend was speeding or made some other mistake to be stopped in the first place) which would make them extremely cautious. Smart citizens understand that you should keep your hands visible to the police officer at all times. Also be polite and you will be on your way in no time with a warning or a ticket. These police stops are for the safety of all citizens. Stopping speeders, those who went through a red light or stop sign without stopping, brake lights not working, no turn signal etc.

Well it says it's at a Border Control checkpoint on I10. That means it's not at a border crossing. Technically I read that the jurisdiction lies some distance inside the US (80 miles?) which makes sense given that they're tasked with the duty of protecting the nation's borders, but still a bit police-state-like and disturbing. Nevertheless, sounds like a suicide by cop.

It would seem "police-state-like" to the ignorant uninformed, the actual disturbing part, is how much drug, people trafficking, and weapons traffic is moved in those areas.