Facebook - scary

skippybangkok

facebook - just lie with name and date of birth, George Orwell was correct

Nice idea, but it doesn't work.

For one of my jobs I created a fake profile with a new email address created just for it & unused mobile number.

no contacts

no friends

no history

no personal details

nothing that could be linked to me.

FB still listed over 20 people - inc rels - that I know locally and OS. With so many people in the world supposedly using FB, I find it hard to believe they are 'random selection'.

Data mining from your computer is likely.

So the device you used to create this new profile in was a device that you used previously ? ...... And my train of,thought is that on that device you had Apps that so ehow linked it all together.

You must change the privacy settings of that Facebook thing.

I don't have it, nor do I want it, but it sounds like you DEVICE linked you somehow.

All of this sharing of pictures and profile information is nothing more than a smoke screen for the real issue...that is targeting you and everyone you know with some advertisement over the internet...I do not like the "cloud" for the same reason...seldom give out my phone or email address as one is then subject to be inundated with calls and emails trying to sell you something...

I like to share...but the cost to my privacy is too great...and it is not just FB that is after your personal information...

• Like 2

Thankfully Facebook shows up to me as something I might know and most certainly will never sign up with. If people can't stay in touch with me because I'm not on Facebook then that there is it's best service for weeding out those who are unworthy of being in touch with in the first place.

I'm sure you're missed, greatly.

• Like 2

For one of my jobs I created a fake profile with a new email address created just for it & unused mobile number.

no contacts

no friends

no history

no personal details

FB still listed over 20 people - inc rels - that I know locally and OS. With so many people in the world supposedly using FB, I find it hard to believe they are 'random selection'.

ISP addy more than likely. Try again with a VPN

Wait - is it Facebook Mobile, on your phone or tablet? Because Android is even evil'er than Facebook alone, I've noticed. If it's on the phone it will share everything with everything and everyone.

OR, it could have located you both by nearby locations...that's another possibiltiy.

no contacts

no friends

no history

no personal details

So the device you used to create this new profile in was a device that you used previously ? ...... And my train of,thought is that on that device you had Apps that so ehow linked it all together.

You must change the privacy settings of that Facebook thing.

I don't have it, nor do I want it, but it sounds like you DEVICE linked you somehow.

Only ever use it on one pc, with all security/history/cache/etc cleared before hand.

The profile was new, as was the email address. There was nothing in either. The email address still holds no contacts & quite deliberately FB holds no friends.

FB is certainly not a thing to trust.

I do not use either the tablets or mobile for that type of program. FB was the first thing removed from the tablets.

Same amount of faith in Google - no contacts in gmail or android.

Edited by pgs
  • Like 1

Thankfully Facebook shows up to me as something I might know and most certainly will never sign up with. If people can't stay in touch with me because I'm not on Facebook then that there is it's best service for weeding out those who are unworthy of being in touch with in the first place.

Royalty amongst us !

Have found old lost friends from 40 years back and half way around the world ....

Lost friends find me by my keeping the same email address for life and using my real name as my email address. Simple.tongue.png

Lost friends find me by my keeping the same email address for life and using my real name as my email address. Simple.tongue.png

Simple? Yeah really simple for those who went to uni prior to email... how does an email address I created in the early 90s help me find folks i went to school with in the late 70s?blink.png blink.png

You would think that would be enough but 'people i would know' is showing me my tenants and a few bargirls i frequent. None of these people know my facebook name, my phone number is not on FB nor my address. My profile pic is not me and my name is not tom....to the bargirls its "sa-teve".

How else are they tracking us? They must be using gps? I dont store bargirl numbers in my phone.

I havnt bought a tinfoil hat.....yet.

• Like 2

Nothing particularly scary about an algorithm.
There is no little facebook man looking at the data, saying oh, look Joe Bloggs must know Jane Doe because they live near each other.

Facebook uses a NoSQL type Database ( Apollo, a NoSQL database designed and developed by facebook inhouse) - This has multiple layers of abstraction, is highly efficient, and is great at making connections between data points .

NoSQL is not like the 1970s designed relational DBs such as Oracle, SQL, etc..

If you are using a facebook app on your mobile device then you have probably already shared your phone number, your IP, your location, your friends, etc with FB..

you have created 100s of data points, your neighbour has created hundreds of data points, where they match and depending on criteria facebook will suggest you know this person.

A collection of algorithm tries to find connections - Facebook infrastructure does this very well.. that why 100s of millions use it everyday

However, what is scary is how this data is used, and whose hands it gets in to
It is clear the primary objective of FB is offer advertisers highly targeted audiences. While I personally detest advertising, especially targeted advertising, I do enjoy the ability to communication in an open way with my friends, family, and the pubic (if I chose) .. I do take every measure to prevent advertising appearing on my screen. Facebook may know what I like, but as long as I do not see adverts I don't really care.

Ulterior uses are much less desirable. If someone, such as NSA, GHQC, MICT, whoever, have access to that data can use in ways which are clearly not good for your freedom

How much you want to make that available to the world is up to you ..

Edited by MrTee
  • Like 1

I obviously could have put it better. I guess because I used the word 'unworthy', but it seems some posters got me a bit wrong: I'm not up myself, I just mean that the people who won't stay in touch simply because I don't have Facebook are not worth staying in touch with, since if I am of so little importance to them, why should they be of any importance to me?

I have email, a phone number, apps, Skype... just not Facebook (or Twitter). Not having FB hasn't caused any detriment to my life and it just doesn't appeal to me.

About getting back in touch with people from long ago, it's also something I'm not too bothered with. I actually sought out some of my old friends from years back prior to the Facebook craze and it turned out to be a nice experience for as long as it lasted before it fell off again due to most of the effort being on my part.

I remember when I first left my hometown to go to university, and then again to leave the UK: people told me to keep in touch but it all turned out to be one-sided. Sure it was me who went away, but if people can't be bothered to make any effort than why should I?

These days I just get on with my own life and stay in touch with the true friends and family who clearly want me in their lives. Quality over quantity works better for me.

Edited by Squeegee
  • Like 2

Delete facebook.

Problem solved.

Its not mandatory.

One day it will be! haha

I deleted Facebook. Too many arguments with the missus for posting "villager"pics which embarrassed her.

Delete facebook.

Problem solved.

Its not mandatory.

One day it will be! haha

I deleted Facebook. Too many arguments with the missus for posting "villager"pics which embarrassed her.

Its been socially unacceptable to resist FB for years.

I caved in and joined up only to establish my relationship as "real" to the immigration department.

My account lasted 2 months before i deleted it out of disgust.

Never again.

Edited by catmaninoz