Expat or Immigrant ?

cornishcarlos

Considering that you reside in this country (Thailand) with entry granted on a non-immigrant visa, with extensions based on said visa, that should really answer your question......................wink.png

Not everyone here is on extensions of said visa...

This is more following the gist of the linked article, as in do you distinguish between the 2 descriptions as the article implies ?

You should really read the linked article before making comments :)

To most Thais, you will always be an 'outsider', regardless of your legal status.

Again, this is not what Thais think, it's only how you would describe yourself.

Didn't think this would be so hard smile.png

This might be hard for you to understand.

You're no expert on what Thais think. And neither am I.

However, I've observed Thai behavior for more than 40 years. Their actions speak loud and clear.

• Like 1

To most Thais, you will always be an 'outsider', regardless of your legal status.

Again, this is not what Thais think, it's only how you would describe yourself.

Didn't think this would be so hard smile.png

This might be hard for you to understand.

You're no expert on what Thais think. And neither am I.

However, I've observed Thai behavior for more than 40 years. Their actions speak loud and clear.

Stop replying to a question that was never asked...

I am not interested in what Thais think or how long you have observed Thais.

Read the OP again before replying please :)

I have never been treated like an outsider by my Thai friends, but that probably says more about their background than mine, as well as the kind of people I prefer to associate with. I have never claimed to be Thai but I have had many friends who claimed me as one of their own.

• Like 1

You're asking the wrong question. I was trying to help you out.

But, you don't know what you don't know.

No, I am asking the question that interested me...

Congratulations though, you have just become my 1st ever 'ignore' candidate. Never thought I would use that function but you justify it, bye..

• Like 1

I can understand where the writer – a black African in Africa – is coming from, given the history of European intervention in Africa and its aftermath. Thailand’s history is very different of course, particularly wrt colonialism, so I think the article has little relevance here, and the question is almost meaningless.

We persons of European descent are all farang here of course. It’s just about the only thing we have in common!

Yeah, I'm an expat from the U.S. and I don't even work here.

If a black, Asian, or Latino American was working here or retiring here without immigrant legal status, they'd be expats too.

But honestly, the article writer does have a point.

In the U.S. a Brit doing a decent job but not immigrating would likely be referred to as an expat but an Indian also doing a decent job temporarily would more likely be referred to as a guest worker. That is racist. But a black Brit would probably be called an expat too!

Not even getting into crappy work like farm working ... they'd never be called expats.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

I never labeled myself as an expat or immigrant.

The way I look at it is, that I worked hard all my life to have the financial means now, to reside in any country I choose.

At the moment, I'm happy living in Thailand.

That doesn't mean that one day I will not change my mind.

So I consider myself more as a long term visitor, satisfied with what I got now.

Expats or immigrants usually have the chance to become citizens of the country they chose.

I have no chance of that, ever, living here.

Edited by Costas2008

Depends how you define “expat” and “immigrant”.

To me an expat is more than just a foreigner; it has overtones of professional or managerial workers of European descent in the colonial and post-colonial periods. I’ve met some guys who fit this description but none in Thailand.

An immigrant to me is an erstwhile foreigner who has obtained citizenship in a new country. I have met a few bona fide Indian immigrants in Thailand who came here decades ago to flee the mass killings during partition in northern India. I have never met a person of European descent (farang) who has Thai citizenship, though I know there are a few.