MRT Security Checks

petedk

I have noticed that the MRT security checks have been a complete waste of time, as everyone just walks through even though the alarm goes off.

They do, however, check the foreigners who get off the Airport link and enter the MRT at Petchaburi.

Here comes the point. For the past 5 days I have been stopped everytime I enter the MRT. My laptop sets the alarm off. I have nothing against that.

Everyday I see several Thais pass through and they are not stopped even thought the alarm goes off.

Just five minutes ago I followed a group of Thais and 3 or 4 of them set the alarm off but were not stopped.

My turn... I was stopped.

Am I just unlucky or is this a new policy?

• Like 1

They used to be a lot stricter, actually looking in bags etc, but at some point the personnel changed and since then they've got lazier. For a while they simply waved their torch in your direction as a symbolic gesture, but now they barely seem to bother with even that.

I agree that normally they just wave their torch and carry on talking to each other. It has been like that for a long time now.

I often thought that if a terrorist wanted to attack Thailand that the MRT or BTS would be easy targets.

Maybe that's why I see them checking foreigners more than Thais. Thais would never hurt Thais.

I feel sorry for the foreigners with 2 or 3 heavy suit cases , sweating like mad and having to lift the cases up onto the tables.

I don't mind just opening the zip to my bag and when they started the security checks a couple of years back, I always had my bag open ready.

Nowadays, having got used to the lower security level I keep the bag firmly on my back. That is until about a week ago and as I said earlier I have been stopped every single time I have passed through.

I think it is ok, but they should do it to everyone who sets the alarm off.

Oh I am not Arab looking. I am British, often wear a Thai and sometimes a jacket too.

Edited by petedk

Like everything else in Thailand, the security checks are just for show and utterly pointless. The bottom line is that Thais do not like confrontation - much easier to just wave people through. One time on the BTS a Thai went through the ticket barrier ahead of me wearing a backpack, but it was me who was asked to stop for carrying a small bag only big enough for my computer. I just ignored the security guard and kept walking. In the US you'd be spreadeagled on the floor with a gun pointed at you. In Thailand nothing happens. Same as I've watched plenty go through the exit doors at Siam Paragon, by-passing the airport-type scanners. No-one takes any notice. Thailand is a terrorist's wet dream, and I can't for the life of me understand why those peace-loving separatists down south haven't attacked Bangkok. The car park at Patpong, anyone? No searches, world famous, against Islam, prime target. Maybe it's only a matter of time.

You are quite right Bangkok Barry.

I, too, have simply brushed security aside on occasion.

Security levels are at zero here.

Maybe, though, they've accidentally discovered the point of the global security industry. Job creation. No more, no less. Oh, and corporate profit-provision. Never mind the guys we see day-in, day-out. All those security advisers don't come cheap. The security industry is one huge global vested interest.

In Thailand, it's been proven (in fact, by the army) that push money down South, get new businesses created, more jobs, and the insurgency declines. Maybe that would be a better way of spending money!

I agree that normally they just wave their torch and carry on talking to each other. It has been like that for a long time now.

I often thought that if a terrorist wanted to attack Thailand that the MRT or BTS would be easy targets.

Maybe that's why I see them checking foreigners more than Thais. Thais would never hurt Thais.

I feel sorry for the foreigners with 2 or 3 heavy suit cases , sweating like mad and having to lift the cases up onto the tables.

I don't mind just opening the zip to my bag and when they started the security checks a couple of years back, I always had my bag open ready.

Nowadays, having got used to the lower security level I keep the bag firmly on my back. That is until about a week ago and as I said earlier I have been stopped every single time I have passed through.

Oh I am not Arab looking. I am British, often wear a Thai and sometimes a jacket too.

I think if you stopped wearing a Thai they will stop checking you. Try a Norwegian.

• Like 1

You are British! Could have fooled me: "I am British, often wear a Thai".

"I am British, often wear a Thai ..."

Yes, we guessed that what with your language skills and all.

"I often thought that if a terrorist wanted to attack Thailand that the MRT or BTS would be easy target.

That may explain why you're stopped every time. The furtive eyes, the sweaty brow ... often thinking of terrorist targets.

Yes - the pointless checks on foreigners with luggage as they transfer from the Airport Link to the MRT is the reason I've stopped using the Airport Link for my regular overseas trips.. You can see the 'Security' staff waving all the locals through with their shopping bags and the alarm goes for each person as everyone has a mobile phone. Then as I approach with my airport hand luggage they get all excited and try to act like real airport security and ask me step aside so they can search my luggage.

Utterly pointless waste of time as hundreds of locals buzz their through without any search while they peer into my post-business trip dirty laundry bag.

• Like 1

Yes - the pointless checks on foreigners with luggage as they transfer from the Airport Link to the MRT is the reason I've stopped using the Airport Link for my regular overseas trips.. You can see the 'Security' staff waving all the locals through with their shopping bags and the alarm goes for each person as everyone has a mobile phone. Then as I approach with my airport hand luggage they get all excited and try to act like real airport security and ask me step aside so they can search my luggage.

Utterly pointless waste of time as hundreds of locals buzz their through without any search while they peer into my post-business trip dirty laundry bag.

just leave a huge turd in a pair of underpants, that will wake them up!laugh.png

• Like 2

My experiences are that the Security Officer has stopped everyone who has set the metal detector off, thai or not.

I never do, but I usually exchange pleasantries and I have to say, they are usually returned, if only sometimes with a smile.

As most will attest to though, they are nothing more than a 'token look'.

Was a bit more serious during the Military Coup a few years back.

Security is really laid back most of the time.

But when was the last time you read about an incident**? It's as good as it needs to be, and unobtrusive at that.

And during the protests, when there was an actual threat, they did get serious and were checking people and bags much more carefully.

So they keep people on the payroll for when they actually need them and let them (and us) chill when there's no threat. Win-win as far as I'm concerned.

Far better than the long lines and latex gloves to get on an airplane back home.

Edit: ** except for that incident with the guy with the balloons, and that was the BTS- not the MRT.

Edited by impulse
  • Like 1

When you look at so many people face to face every day, you become adept at social profiling. Any one of those security people could smell a Thai rat among the vast majority of good people.

Less likely to understand all the body language of foreigners, they will do a cursory check, and anything in your response that raises the slightest suspicion will keep the search going deeper into your luggage.

Two Malays in front of me were given closer scrutiny, for good reason. Many of you couldn't even tell the difference between a Thai and a Malay, but the Thais can.

I have been on the Bangkok rail systems all day for the past three days, including probably a dozen times through the MRT security checks. I prepare for it, having my laptop case or camera outfit bag partly open to save time and have it up on the table before he/she needs to ask.

A few times they have even said sorry to me. I reply in Thai words meaning. "No it's fine. Security is important. Thank you" which it is. Remember, that the MRT is a totally underground tunnel system. A fire or explosion could cause mayhem and huge loss of life. I have not been in London for a couple of years to know what they do there, I think for the channel tunnel? .. they have checks similar to airport security. But otherwise nothing.

The Bangkok system doesn't bother me at all.

I don't grumble the old lines: "Why do they get different treatment from what I get?".

We should live with it, be cooperative and thankful.

Edited by TechnikaIII

@ petedk If you insist on wearing Thais, no wonder you might have a problem at security. That's a bit colonial!!!!!!!!!!

@ All I've not been stopped in months and months. Yep I set everything off. Yep all the Thais set everything off!!!!!!!!!

Purely anecdotal, this, but is it only my impression that use of MRT has, fairly suddenly, gone way, way up. If that were true, maybe they've had to become more lax to sustain the throughput. Whatever, it's become, recently, way, way more lax than it was, whether that be with Thai or foreigner.

Oops. I don't know what happened there. I was on the MRT while writing, so maybe I was so obsessed with Thais that his word slipped in.

Anyway I also wear a tie sometimes.

When you look at so many people face to face every day, you become adept at social profiling. Any one of those security people could smell a Thai rat among the vast majority of good people.

Less likely to understand all the body language of foreigners, they will do a cursory check, and anything in your response that raises the slightest suspicion will keep the search going deeper into your luggage.

Two Malays in front of me were given closer scrutiny, for good reason. Many of you couldn't even tell the difference between a Thai and a Malay, but the Thais can.

I have been on the Bangkok rail systems all day for the past three days, including probably a dozen times through the MRT security checks. I prepare for it, having my laptop case or camera outfit bag partly open to save time and have it up on the table before he/she needs to ask.

A few times they have even said sorry to me. I reply in Thai words meaning. "No it's fine. Security is important. Thank you" which it is. Remember, that the MRT is a totally underground tunnel system. A fire or explosion could cause mayhem and huge loss of life. I have not been in London for a couple of years to know what they do there, I think for the channel tunnel? .. they have checks similar to airport security. But otherwise nothing.

The Bangkok system doesn't bother me at all.

I don't grumble the old lines: "Why do they get different treatment from what I get?".

We should live with it, be cooperative and thankful.

Yep. In London - which is a city that has been through many devastating terrorist attacks - there are precisely zero security checks on the underground, over ground, intercity trains or the airport trains to Heathrow or Gatwick. There is "airport style" security on the Eurostar though as you say.

In Shanghai there are luggage X-ray machines at every entrance to the MRT and they are used for every bag big or small, and they are vigilant as I have had to explain sharp looking items in my bag. However, many locals just push through and barge past the security guards when they try to get them to Xray their bags. They don't call them back, so therefore the entire security system is negated really.

Edited by josephbloggs