Free navigable Garmin-compatible maps

I've been researching this extensively while bludging on the internet during night shift for the last couple of weeks. Im hoping when I get back to civilization with a decent internet connection I can play around with open street maps.

My plan is to go the android route rather than the Garmin but basically its coming from the same source anyway.

My question is. Has anyone managed to load the map for Bangkok which highlights the non motorcycle routes available here

http://www.nightrider.info/map/

looks interesting

• Like 1

@eeeya if you're interested in android platform, look at the Locus app on Google play. They have a free version as well as payed (I paid for it as its worth it). After installing Locus maps tweak app, it will allow you to use goggle maps and with Locus you can download any areas of any zoom for offline use. My offline Google maps take over 1 GB of data. I'm on one of my trips right now and I'm using my android device (tablet under the waterproof clear cover in my tank bag) for GPS, used it many times before and is tell you I'd never waste my money on standalone GPS unit. Giggle maps by far the best maps in the market with more details than any other maps.

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

@eeeya if you're interested in android platform, look at the Locus app on Google play. They have a free version as well as payed (I paid for it as its worth it). After installing Locus maps tweak app, it will allow you to use goggle maps and with Locus you can download any areas of any zoom for offline use. My offline Google maps take over 1 GB of data. I'm on one of my trips right now and I'm using my android device (tablet under the waterproof clear cover in my tank bag) for GPS, used it many times before and is tell you I'd never waste my money on standalone GPS unit. Giggle maps by far the best maps in the market with more details than any other maps.

Thanks, I downloaded Locus and had a quick look. Your suggestion of being able to save google apps is great. Google map has good detail in BKK especially which the others were lacking.

Ill tack that to my things to do list smile.png

Im looking at using my S5 Samsung. Got a mount for it (ebay) on my MTB which I plan on stealing and putting on the moto

Edited by eeeya

does Locus maps download in Thai and English ?

it would be nice to show a Thai where you want to go or ask what time it opens in Thai Script

Thanks for the info

Locus downloads maps as you see them on computer screen (goggle maps classic) and if there are any Thai Script on the map, it will download just that, same goes to other countries. I noticed that in BBK and other cities, the streets are marked both in English and Thai.

See attached screenshots from my Samsung Note 3.

post-111234-14222274233634_thumb.jpg

post-111234-1422227445028_thumb.jpg

Thanks, I downloaded Locus and had a quick look. Your suggestion of being able to save google apps is great. Google map has good detail in BKK especially which the others were lacking.

Ill tack that to my things to do list smile.png

Im looking at using my S5 Samsung. Got a mount for it (ebay) on my MTB which I plan on stealing and putting on the moto

I use it on my Samsung Note 3 as well (see my previous post for screenshots) and had it on my bike on every major trip.

There's tremendous amount of customization in this app to make it look and work exactly as you wish, but all those options can be confusing.

As I said before, it's important to download Locus Map Tweak to enable Goggle maps. There are so many map providers available including topo maps, satellite view maps, various overlays... I however don't use anything but the Goggle classic maps as they have everything I need and in very good details.

Locus Free and Locus Pro have the same functionality but one notable difference is the pro (paid version) allows download of up to 10000 map tiles per day and it is a lot less on free version. Those limits can be tricked when you change the time zone on your phone after you reach the daily limit, then you can download again.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Ive been using locus for a while now with google maps downloaded for BKK in pretty good detail.

Has anyone been able to draw routes rather than using the calculated routes determined by the program?

It can be done. I know I did that years ago, I don't remember how I did it but I do remember it wasn't a simple task.

Locus is good for maps, not so good for guided navigation. For me it's perfect as all I want is to see where I am on the map, don't need it to tell me where to turn.

Cheers,, might try that. Ive been playing around with making routes at home and then loading them onto my phone and following them. Kinda fun.

Im also thinking of going down the route of a budget 2nd hand garmin gps from ebay and installing it on my bike.. The prices of motorcycle GPS's are too damn high!

Nokia (now windows phone) offer free offline mapping using their here map system which is preloaded on all their phones, no need to use data or pay to download anything it is free and available all the time even without a sim card in plus they generally have good battery life times

I have used this system for ages now and when coupled with a rammount phone holder and getting a usb power socket fitted it is a really good solution. Somebody mentioned using an old car garmin, I tried this and gave it up as a bad job as screen visibility when mounted on the bike is rubbish and I found it to be unworkable

I have my samsung s5 on my bike attached by a ram mount X grip.. let me say this is a piece of crap.. next solution is im going to cut out the x part and glue a cheap hard plastic phone case to it. So I can slot my phone in and out.

Not sure if ill get the car gps because the phone does a pretty good job importing routes i make in Basecamp.

Locus App on android coupled with OSM street maps and downloaded google maps is pretty good. Google maps (downloaded) is far superior to OSM Maps for bangkok

anyone in the know ????

is there a better GPS chipset than in an older Garmin or Android phone ?

or maybe better to ask , what is the oldest Germin/ android phone to think about for a GPS

and is there a GPS Test app to compare 2 phones ?

I would assume part of the test is how quick it connects to the Sats and gets a location fix

Regarding the oldest, I would look for a phone which has GPS and GLONAS receivers (look up the phone specs). I think Samsung S3 already had GLONAS so it should be good. Regarding other brands, I won't know, you would need to look up phone specs as I said.

Thinking about it, I won't worry about how soon you can get the lock, but how good it can hold a signal, in which case GPS + GLONAS will be better than GPS only. In case you wonder, GLONAS is Russian satellite network.

By the way, you will get the satellite lock sooner if you have the data turned on on your phone, in which case the software will use the A-GPS which is cell network based to pinpoint your location sooner.

If you want a real gps unit, it's best to buy one with mini sd card options, then you can use as old a version as you want.

My old nuvi 204 can't take the latest Thai maps, not enough storage space so I keep it as spare unit with 2013 maps fitted.

I bought a garmin zumo350 not long time ago, love it man, weather prof but okay not cheap.

I got a refurbished one from the US for about 15k baht and they send it as a gift (ebay) so I only paid 221 baht in import taxes.

It came with all mounting brackets/charging needed for bike and car mounting.

• Like 1

^

I've got the 350 as well- I love that thing. I've still got to sit down with the Basecamp software and really work it out as far as route planning goes, but I think a motorcycle-specific GPS unit will always be the best choice in every category except price- it's weather-proof, shock-proof, glare-resistant, works with gloves, etc.

• Like 1

I forgot to add, on the zumo's you can choose; bike,car or off-road.

So if you use the bike setting, toll high ways will be avoided by default and you don't have to go into base camp and plan your trip for that, cool. smile.png

RSD. All valid points but people nowadays have too many gadgets to worry about. I have too many and really don't want to get another one for one single task only. My Samsung Note3 does pretty fine job as a GPS unit besides being a phone, a tablet, a stills/video camera, mp3 and a movie player, etc... It's always with me, it's doing a fine job and it's one device. Sure there's some drawbacks (as there's with anything else) like it's not being waterproof for example, but there are many waterproofed phones and it's not too hard to protect a phone from rain if using it on a bike. There's even an option on my Note 3 to bump up the screen sensitivity, which I did and I can use it wearing my gloves.

Not knocking anyone's choice, but I personally see no benefits of buying another device.

• Like 1

So if you use the bike setting, toll high ways will be avoided by default and you don't have to go into base camp and plan your trip for that, cool. smile.png

There's an option on google maps to avoid tollways too, when you plan your route. ;)

There's an option on google maps to avoid tollways too, when you plan your route. wink.png

Okay but with the zumo no need to plan any routes in advance and avoiding the tollways which is quite cool.

• Like 1

The thing with using an phone is that it's really a somewhat lesser substitute in comparison to a standalone camera, a standalone tablet, and a standalone GPS- yes, it will do the job that's required, but not as well as a device dedicated to the single purpose. I have a smartphone like everybody else, but I find that the motorcycle-specific Garmin unit is superior to the point where it was a worthwhile purchase, and if I lost it I'd buy another one before using my phone for navigation. I stick it in the permanently-mounted handlebar cradle just about everyime I take a ride, and i don't find it inconvenient having another gadget, at least not in comparison to what I see as the benefit.

I completely see why you would go with your phone for GPS use and I'm sure it works well, but there are certainly advantages to a GPS-specific unit.

The charging cradle:

post-176811-0-44966900-1426124634_thumb.

Clicked in and ready to go:

post-176811-0-53138700-1426124656_thumb.

Edited by RubberSideDown

im in the same frame of mind as Shurup.. I love gadgets and making projects but I just cant swallow the 20k + price of a dedicated motorcycle GPS.. id rather spend the money else where. Though at least once a week im reconsidering whether to by a garmin, but basecamp exports routes to Locus app on my s5 with no problem, giving turn by turn navigation on even the narrowest of sois through bangkok.. Connected with usb power and mounted on a RAM mount. Not much different to a garmin in usability..I might add that im using downloaded maps and not chewing data.

The only thing which is still up in the air is ..is Garmin maps for thailand, especially bangkok better than OSM maps and Google maps?

OSM is missing details of a lot of sois, but google maps has it all. How does a paid for garmin map compare. So far locus does not accept a garmin map properly. However OSMand does accept Garmin maps.

sorry too many coffees for night shift and im rambling

• Like 1

My concern was not the price but how much use I'd get out of it. The best thing about a phone is it's always with you and it's always charged. I got a 10,000 mah battery on it so I can't kill it in one day no matter how I try, unless I play very demanding video games, which i don't. Note3 being a phablet, has large enough screen (5.7") to go as a tablet when I need. No need to mention that it's very easy to read the map on such a large screen. I use it not only when riding but also when driving to an unfamiliar place or if I get lost, it's always with me and a dedicated GPS in these instances would probably be at home if I didn't plan to use it.

There is also Sygic app for Android (paid) and they use Tom Tom maps and they work and look as good as on a standalone GPS unit.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.sygic.aura&hl=en

https://www.sygic.com/

I have Sygic also but I much prefer the Locus.