What's the state of the mega-condo projects south of Jomtien?

mike111

On my last visit to Jomtien, I recall seeing a string of mega-condo projects along Jomtien 2nd road (I believe) when heading south.

Central festival was flooded with sales counters manned by Russian speaking staff who were pushing shoe-box sized condos in these projects.

Out of curiousity, with the recent crash of the Ruble, what's the state of these projects?

Cheers

Atlantis has just finished and people are living there. Most of the others seem to be progressing. I think the most obvious impact of the Rouble devaluation (at least for new builds) will be on projects that have not been started yet, like the recently cancelled Ocean Pacific project. Though the Riviera had a big launch party the other evening, so who knows?

Was down there last week... most of them seem more or less finished although not sure about occupancy rates ?... must be 1000s of rooms ??.... so far, it looks like there will be no unfinished monstrosities littering the skyline like back in '97... Although the one exception is the the one at the end of of Hali Bali Pier run by Tulip Group, seems to be abandoned ??..

Was down there last week... most of them seem more or less finished although not sure about occupancy rates ?... must be 1000s of rooms ??.... so far, it looks like there will be no unfinished monstrosities littering the skyline like back in '97... Although the one exception is the the one at the end of of Hali Bali Pier run by Tulip Group, seems to be abandoned ??..

Wasn't this one stopped because of dodgy building permits ?

Maldives ,think that is the name,pretty close to to my favourite spot Suwan Suwarn looks bit depleted as well,now that is a big place too

Passed there by coincidence 3 days ago and had the same impression. I was wondering how they gonna complete that place with only a few workers on site.

By the way, didn't the same project have a year long delay for starting the works in the first place.

I think the comapny who promtes it has been in the news as having financial problems for a few years now.

the rooms that the chineese will be buying soon and living in and also renting to farangs??

by 2016 after the followiing year of raised prices to make up for less customers does what it does the place will grasp that its mostly place for wealthy thai's on the weekend and chinese tourist.

• 5 months later...

There are sales counters at the bigc/tesco malls promoting the Venetian, Seven Seas and if I remember correctly, the Grand Carribean.

Are these projects still alive?

Cheers

The buildings of the Grand Carribean are up and doors and windows are going in.

There are sales counters at the bigc/tesco malls promoting the Venetian, Seven Seas and if I remember correctly, the Grand Carribean.

Cheers

But i doubt they will make their (revised) finish date of Q3 2015. Still a lot to do probably be mid 2016 before it's up and running as a working condo.

Cheers

There is activity at Grand Caribbean. They have been painting. The building is visible from my balcony.

Wait until Centric Sea enters the fold,whatever or who developed this monster is in for a sorry time. Now advertising"Seeing the Unseen" a few for sale. Could put it another way in developer terms "Wishing the Seen,being Unseen"

Centric Sea is developed by the infamous Shinawatra family

With the over flow of new condos built, how do the various developers sell these newly built apartments? I realize many Thais purchase these as an "investment" (and can get a loan from their bank) but it's a different story with a foreign purchase. A "farang" must cough up cash which is around $100,000 for the basic condo room to 3X the amount for something nicer...and in ten years there is no appreciation. The retired Westerner use to come to Pattaya and purchase a condo, but due to the economic turn-down a few years ago and the rise in air-fare, Europeans and Americans are not visiting Pattaya as they use to. The developers were gearing for the Russian market, but that will be dismal with Putin's arrogance in world affairs...and I cannot think of the Chinese being able to affort to buy one of these condos or wanting to make this their vacation retreat. So who will buy?

Yes, that one seems to be progressing quite fast, probably due to its central location and fairly high prices. I also suspect that units there have sold well and that the developers are keen to finish and get paid their balances.

The story with the cheaper developments further south in Jomtien may be quite different, with many "buyers" not being in any sort of hurry to complete and not having much to lose if they dont.

More to the point is how will the infrastructure handle all the extra people if these units are occupied.

I dont think there's much likelihood of that happening! Unless perhaps they are all rented out nightly to short-term Chinese tourists.

A post has been removed:

7) You will respect fellow members and post in a civil manner. No personal attacks, hateful or insulting towards other members, (flaming) Stalking of members on either the forum or via PM will not be allowed.

Anybody know what the state of play is with the Cetus 49 storey project, just south of Chaiyapuuk?

When I last enquired, they said that the first occupiers would be moving in this month.[July]

When I drove past last week they were finishing the pool area and the common areas (shops?) on the ground floor. The balconies etc on the residential floors above looked finished. I suppose it's possible that people could move in this month.

People were living in Reflection while they were still finishing other floors.

With the over flow of new condos built, how do the various developers sell these newly built apartments? I realize many Thais purchase these as an "investment" (and can get a loan from their bank) but it's a different story with a foreign purchase. A "farang" must cough up cash which is around $100,000 for the basic condo room to 3X the amount for something nicer...and in ten years there is no appreciation. The retired Westerner use to come to Pattaya and purchase a condo, but due to the economic turn-down a few years ago and the rise in air-fare, Europeans and Americans are not visiting Pattaya as they use to. The developers were gearing for the Russian market, but that will be dismal with Putin's arrogance in world affairs...and I cannot think of the Chinese being able to affort to buy one of these condos or wanting to make this their vacation retreat. So who will buy?

There are chinese with means.

http://blogs.wsj.com/chinarealtime/2014/06/10/china-now-has-more-millionaires-than-any-country-but-the-u-s/

They are buying up NYC!

http://www.forbes.com/sites/kenrapoza/2014/07/30/for-rich-chinese-u-s-becoming-giant-monopoly-game/