Signs.. of the times.

WinnieTheKhwai

Around Nimmen there are some posters advertising property (condos, I guess) in Chinese script only. Reminds me of the time I went to Pattaya years ago and saw that all of the menus were now also in Russian.

Around Nimmen I hear more Chinese being spoken on the sidewalks than Thai. It's a good thing as long as they are spending some money.

Noticed this myself more and more around town.Looks like Thai kids will not only have to learn English but Chinese too.

I have a little friend whose at college for a tourism course.. She already speaks great english but the focus of the language element of course is chinese 60 or 70% with japanese and english being a minor element.

Shes actually pretty good at it.. Given only a couple of years study as just a part of the course.

Around Nimmen there are some posters advertising property (condos, I guess) in Chinese script only. Reminds me of the time I went to Pattaya years ago and saw that all of the menus were now also in Russian.

Take a good look around Pratu Taphae. More and more signs in Russian which is troubling. Also all the ATM's in the area have Russian as a language option. Around where I live in Sansai, Burmese is always a language option. I know who I would rather have as neighbors. For the same reason, I'll never visit Koh Chang again!

In reply to JulieM the majority of Chinese tourists that I've spotted are always looking for discounts and bargains. Haven't seen a great deal of big spenders but as ASEAN opens up I'm sure they will be here in their droves buying up all the businesses, that's if they aren't already!

In reply to JulieM the majority of Chinese tourists that I've spotted are always looking for discounts and bargains. Haven't seen a great deal of big spenders but as ASEAN opens up I'm sure they will be here in their droves buying up all the businesses, that's if they aren't already!

I talked with a vendor at the Night Bazaar who automatically gave us a discount, as she explained, the prices were inflated because the Chinese never wanted to pay the sticker price.

Not that hackling about prices in Thailand is exclusive to the Chinese.

John's Place put the Chinese signs up within the last year. A friend took the Nursing Science program at CMU, which was taught in English, but they were required to take Japanese. My GF's daughter studied Japanese and works the cab stand at CNX. I hadn't noticed the Russian, but it's almost been just a matter of time, based on some of the beach scenes.

Around Nimmen I hear more Chinese being spoken on the sidewalks than Thai. It's a good thing as long as they are spending some money.

I was at a sea side resort in China last year, where the menus were in Chinese and Russian.

No big surprise - but the prices were incredible.

It seemed the prices were all aimed at big spenders, but possibly as a certain currency seems to have devalued, a sweet and sour fish will no longer cost $60.00.

I hope restaurants in Thailand don't follow this trend.

I've a mainland Chinese friend who chuckles every time he sees a made-in-china product sold at much higher prices in Thailand. The rest of us who doesn't know better probably think they are quite a bargain.

I've a mainland Chinese friend who chuckles every time he sees a made-in-china product sold at much higher prices in Thailand. The rest of us who doesn't know better probably think they are quite a bargain.

Must be kind of like how I chuckle every time someone buys a pack of Marlboros or an I-whatever....

I have a friend living in Pai and he tells me they are opening a few shops there.

Funny thing about the Chinese. There are more English speaking people living in China than any other country in the world.

I have a friend living in Pai and he tells me they are opening a few shops there.

Funny thing about the Chinese. There are more English speaking people living in China than any other country in the world.

Nonsense. There are more English language learners in China than any other country, but not speakers.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_English-speaking_population

And yes, I do trust Wikipedia as a source of information of you and some obscure American Republican USA presidential candidate.

Nice one Chicog,

I can see you too are enjoying an extra day off in the litterbox.thumbsup.gif

One is paying ones respects to The Custodian of the Two Holy ChequeBooks don't ya know.

w00t.gif

I Know is off topic, my apologies, but you are right Sir.... paid my respects all day.....thumbsup.gif

p.s. if you wish, pm me were you are?

Regards

AFJ

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

As you can see, having a dig at Russians , Chinese and Arabs is okay here. Anyone willing to give Israelis a hard time? Me, I love everyone.

and don't forget our wonderful LGBT Community.

And our homophobes

Appears to me that these establishments are becoming desperate for clientele. Also many of the nightly and adult entertainments, such as certain massage parlours will display signs in Japanese and Chinese scripts believing that it gives them the semblance of being more upmarket and therefore an excuse to increase their prices.

This is just another marketing ploy and personally I cannot envisage the Chinese wanting to place these establishments on their must see lists if they visit Chiang Mai.

I talked with a vendor at the Night Bazaar who automatically gave us a discount, as she explained, the prices were inflated because the Chinese never wanted to pay the sticker price.

Not that hackling about prices in Thailand is exclusive to the Chinese.

I can remember from years ago when a night market vendor explained the three tier pricing system which was lowest for those who spoke Northern Thai (Khon Muang), a bit more for foreigners (Farangs), and highest for Khon Thai (speakers of Central Thai).

But having just spent some considerable time at major tourist destinations where relatives work, I am not surprised at the rise of signage in Chinese in the city as over half the customers at the tourist destinations are now Chinese.

• Like 1