What could it be?

Tonight I had to do an emergency stop as an on coming motorbike decided to turn right out of the blue ( I really don't think he'd even seen me). Anyway the car made such a noise, a banging noise from under the middle part of the car it seemed.

I've just been to a quiet road where I could test the car again ,under 30 it isn't so bad but over 40 kpm it did the same thing when I slammed on the breaks really hard.

Never having had an automatic car before , Is this normal?

It's a Ford Fiesta Sport, the clutch was replaced May last year due to juddering in low gears. Could this be the same problem?

Forgive me if I sound like I haven't a clue, I'm better in the kitchen than under the bonnet of a car! biggrin.png

Bangs on modern cars aren't normal.

My first thought is that there is something not properly attached underneath the car.

The first thing I'd check - or get checked - is the exhaust system. but to be honest it's a blind guess.

could be engine mountings, gearbox, suspension, steering etc etc.

As far as I'm aware the Fiesta auto doesn't actually have a clutch - I'm assuming it's a torque converter?

What year is it?

What engine g/box combo?

There were a lot of transmission problems on Fiestas and Focuses in the States.

I'd suggest you take the car to a local garage or dealer if it isn't very old or one of those Cockpit type places. - don't just take the word of the first person to look at it....go to at least a couple.

Don't ask for a repair, just ask them to "check'......compare the answers.

This will achieve two things

Firstly it might tell you what is wrong and secondly it may protect you against having unnecessary work done.

when you are satisfied they have correctly identified the fault, get it fixed.

Bangs on modern cars aren't normal.

My first thought is that there is something not properly attached underneath the car.

The first thing I'd check - or get checked - is the exhaust system. but to be honest it's a blind guess.

could be engine mountings, gearbox, suspension, steering etc etc.

As far as I'm aware the Fiesta auto doesn't actually have a clutch - I'm assuming it's a torque converter?

What year is it?

What engine g/box combo?

There were a lot of transmission problems on Fiestas and Focuses in the States.

I'd suggest you take the car to a local garage or dealer if it isn't very old or one of those Cockpit type places. - don't just take the word of the first person to look at it....go to at least a couple.

Don't ask for a repair, just ask them to "check'......compare the answers.

This will achieve two things

Firstly it might tell you what is wrong and secondly it may protect you against having unnecessary work done.

when you are satisfied they have correctly identified the fault, get it fixed.

Thanks for your reply. There's no problem at all when driving normally. No sounds as I go over bumps or holes in the road. The car was bought in 2011 and has 40k on the clock. It's serviced regularly , booked in for Tuesday as it happens for it's next service. They extended the warranty for the clutch problems to 5 years but the rest is not covered.

It's a powershift 6 speed Automatic, don't know what engine gear box combo - sorry, I told you I'm clueless when it comes to cars . That's why I need advice, Ford could tell me anything and I wouldn't know if it was BS or not.

ABS causing brakes to go on/off to prevent skids. Lots of banging and vibration when activated, but makes sure you stop really fast.

Cheers

+1... When ABS kicks in, it makes a horrendous banging noise on some autos...

Ford Fiesta Sport.... what year, newish or XR2 era?

"a banging noise from under the middle part of the car it seemed"....you sure it wasn't coming from up the front?

I'm going to have a wild guess and say that it is a feature of all modern cars these days, automatic and manual.

It's a saftey feature called ABS braking whistling.gif

PS. But i am confused that you had the clucth replaced last year but say it's an automatic, now that's not normal.wacko.png

Litlos and Loptr beat me to it, i was busy checking the exhaust out.wink.png

Edited by Boycie

Ford Fiesta Sport.... what year, newish or XR2 era?

"a banging noise from under the middle part of the car it seemed"....you sure it wasn't coming from up the front?

I'm going to have a wild guess and say that it is a feature of all modern cars these days, automatic and manual.

It's a saftey feature called ABS braking whistling.gif

PS. But i am confused that you had the clucth replaced last year but say it's an automatic, now that's not normal.wacko.png

laugh.png Told you . I"m sure they said they replaced the clutch. They said it was a "dry clutch" whatever that means. It was to do with the gear change, especially in low gear. Juddering. Anyway after it was changed (whatever it was) it's been better although not perfect, but when I told them this they said that noise with this type of system is normal.

Sounds like it's the ABS braking then, it was such a noise, i was shocked. Hard to say middle or front as it's such a small car, seemed like it was in the middle.

You guys must be having a real laugh at my replies giggle.gif , sorry.

I like the ABS idea, it would certainly fit to a point.

noise ca transmit through a cars body and it can be hard to tell where it's coming from.

I think you should take it to a recommended local guy and ask his advice before taking to the dealer. Take for a drive and show him the problem and hear what he says. Basically get a first opinion before you let Ford give you theirs.

Edited by cumgranosalum

I like the ABS idea, it would certainly fit to a point.

noise ca transmit through a cars body and it can be hard to tell where it's coming from.

I think you should take it to a recommended local guy and ask his advice before taking to the dealer. Take for a drive and show him the problem and hear what he says. Basically get a first opinion before you let Ford give you theirs.

Thanks, I'll do that.

When it makes this noise, do you also feel the brake pedal vibrating?

A lot of drivers fail to try out their ABS so that they know how it works and what happens when it kicks in, in an emergency - which could be years after buying the car.

• Like 1