Fidel Castro writes statement on shift in Cuba-US relations

webfact

Fidel Castro writes statement on shift in Cuba-US relations

HAVANA, Cuba (AP) — Former Cuban leader Fidel Castro ended his long silence over his country's decision to restore diplomatic ties with the United States, writing that he backs the negotiations even though he distrusts politics in Washington.

The comments were the first by the 88-year-old revolutionary leader on the talks with the U.S. since the historic Dec. 17 declaration that the countries would move to restore ties broken more than a half century ago.

"I don't trust the policy of the United States, nor have I exchanged a word with them, but this does not mean I reject a pacific solution to the conflicts," he wrote in a letter to a student federation read at the University of Havana. It also appeared in Communist Party newspaper Granma.

"We will always defend cooperation and friendship with all the people of the world, including with our political adversaries," he wrote.

Two weeks ago, Fidel Castro sent a letter to soccer legend Diego Maradona to quash rumors of his death. At the time, it was the first reported word from Castro in nearly three months. The letter was read on Venezuela state television network Telesur.

A serious illness forced Castro to step down from duties as president in 2006, handing over leadership to his younger brother Raul.

The speculation about Fidel Castro's health had been prompted in part by his failure to comment after the U.S. and Cuba declared on Dec. 17 that they would move to restore full diplomatic relations broken a half century ago.

The latest statement from Fidel was dated Jan. 26.

aplogo.jpg
-- (c) Associated Press 2015-01-27

writing that he backs the negotiations even though he distrusts politics in Washington!I

Castro is not the only world leader who distrusts Washington...a majority of Americans do not trust the present US administration either...wonder why?

• Like 1

back in the 60s there was a Mission Impossible TV show about an Eastern europe country keeping its leader "alive" after a stroke so he could make statements the Generals wanted him to make........

So just because we get "statements" from Fidel etc always question who are the men behind the curtain !

It's about time. China is a communist country and the US is doing business with just fine. I see a long road to democracy with a twist the Cuban way.

Cuba is still more democracy as Saudi Arabia and US is doing business with them, even selling weapons.

If things get touchy with Russia, it is nice to know they don't have friends in the Caribean.

That's is the only reason why the US now wants to be friendly with the Castros.... It s a good negotiation tool to have in hands, and to get all its can from a corrupted capitalist country...without resigning ideals. Good for Cuba!

writing that he backs the negotiations even though he distrusts politics in Washington!I

Castro is not the only world leader who distrusts Washington...a majority of Americans do not trust the present US administration either...wonder why?

Fidel Castro a world leader? Since when? More like a lost soul. More like a nearly dead, senile despot, on his last legs, no longer in control of a bankrupt island.

• Like 2

The embargo was not only economic, come together with extortion to other countries doing business with Cuba, and the isolation was global. Most western countries were forced to cut relationships with Cuba to avoid "problems" with its boss..the US. The US propaganda did the rest, blocking any positive news from Cuba. Even in isolation and poverty the Cuban people set an unique example of courage and determination, that only insiders had the privilege to appreciate and value. Even more, considering that similar countries, under "democratic" governments and under the US influence and help, still dealing with misery and injustice, like Porto Rico, Haiti, Costa Rica, Mexico, Colombia....including the Philippines and Jamaica.

Talking about Cuba after few days on the island visiting its illegal brothels or luxury foreign owned beach resorts, is the same that talking about Thailand after a short "vacation" in Center Pattaya or a retreat at its luxury SPAs. Not idea.

I am talking in past time, because the embargo is not working anymore. In the last 15 years the US kept losing control of its "allies" and now many countries, specially in Latinoamerica, have close relationships with Cuba and following Castro example and leadership. Asking who is behind an old and dying leader, the answer is his PEOPLE....and admirers. Not the few ones infected by the easy life promoted by the US propaganda, that still affecting new generations all over the world.

Edited by umbanda

If things get touchy with Russia, it is nice to know they don't have friends in the Caribean.

That's is the only reason why the US now wants to be friendly with the Castros.... It s a good negotiation tool to have in hands, and to get all its can from a corrupted capitalist country...without resigning ideals. Good for Cuba!

Possibly.

I think it more likely that a group of old men are tired of hiding their illegally imported Havana Hand Rolled cigars and want to be able to smoke them publically. Bigger diplomatic deals have been made for less.

The embargo was not only economic, come together with extortion to other countries doing business with Cuba, and the isolation was global. Most western countries were forced to cut relationships with Cuba to avoid "problems" with its boss..the US. The US propaganda did the rest, blocking any positive news from Cuba. Even in isolation and poverty the Cuban people set an unique example of courage and determination, that only insiders had the privilege to appreciate and value. Even more, considering that similar countries, under "democratic" governments and under the US influence and help, still dealing with misery and injustice, like Porto Rico, Haiti, Costa Rica, Mexico, Colombia....including the Philippines and Jamaica.

Talking about Cuba after few days on the island visiting its illegal brothels or luxury foreign owned beach resorts, is the same that talking about Thailand after a short "vacation" in Center Pattaya or a retreat at its luxury SPAs. Not idea.

I am talking in past time, because the embargo is not working anymore. In the last 15 years the US kept losing control of its "allies" and now many countries, specially in Latinoamerica, have close relationships with Cuba and following Castro example and leadership. Asking who is behind an old and dying leader, the answer is his PEOPLE....and admirers. Not the few ones infected by the easy life promoted by the US propaganda, that still affecting new generations all over the world.

During my several trips there over the years, I was never able to find a single individual who liked or admired La Cucaracha (castro). Never. He was and is despised. He is a multi billionaire despot. The doctors I spoke to there, who were making $40 a month, and could not get medical supplies were not admirers. The farmers who were trying to squeeze tasteless vegetables from stripped soil, due to outdated and disproven Marxist agrarian policies, were not admirers. None that I could find. The local people cannot wait for him and his ridiculous brother to die.

• Like 1

Have you ever been to any of these countries you speak of? The average citizen there dreams of immigrating to the US. Have you researched what actually started the Cuban embargo? Can't blame the US 100% for this. Takes 2 to tango.

Countries can align themselves with Cuba, but in the end, money is what rules. And Cuba has very little.

During my several trips there over the years, I was never able to find a single individual who liked or admired La Cucaracha (castro). Never. He was and is despised. He is a multi billionaire despot. The doctors I spoke to there, who were making $40 a month, and could not get medical supplies were not admirers. The farmers who were trying to squeeze tasteless vegetables from stripped soil, due to outdated and disproven Marxist agrarian policies, were not admirers. None that I could find. The local people cannot wait for him and his ridiculous brother to die.

Looks like we had different experiences. Happens....but I am surprised that a Doctor didn't move from Cuba if is unhappy.. $40 is a good salary, in Cuba for a Doctor, like $ 1000 is in Thailand for a teacher....when $1000 salary means misery status in the US. Everything is relative, when you really knows about. Any Cuban with money to buy a plane ticket to Mexico for $150 can leave anytime, and many do....and can obtain asylum status at the Mex/US border. I have Cuban friends studying in Italy and coming back to Cuba. Who said that EVERYBODY in Cuba likes the Government? Cubans have choices, always had, but the Cuban Government will not pay for them to leave the country....to follow the "American Dream"... No country do.

Edited by umbanda

Have you ever been to any of these countries you speak of? The average citizen there dreams of immigrating to the US. Have you researched what actually started the Cuban embargo? Can't blame the US 100% for this. Takes 2 to tango.

Countries can align themselves with Cuba, but in the end, money is what rules. And Cuba has very little.

Live and worked in few, including Cuba, and visited friends in others, and also immigrate to the US. You are totally right.... EVERY AVERAGE citizen from practically EVERY country dreams to immigrate to the US....some no so AVERAGE too. The US propaganda it is very effective, specially with the young people.

I think you're off a bit about their ability to travel. Some can and do. For most, it's impossible. I've met a few that could travel, one worked for a computer company. But most can't. As for $40 being a good salary? No way. Neither is $1,000 here for a teacher. I call that subsistence living. You can get by, but it's not a great life.

There is no "US propaganda". They hear from their relatives and know they are living a much better life. Freedom to do what they want, say what they want, and work how they like. All impossible in Cuba. Their government has ruined a beautiful country and a great population. I've been many times, spent lots of time with locals (illegally, as it's not really allowed). Dressed up as a Cuban so I could ride along with them (didn't really work, but at least I tried). Sneaked into their house after dark via back entrances so I could stay with them. Etc. I had some very good friends living there and visited them several times.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-latin-america-18933175

Would-be travellers need a letter of invitation from the person they want to visit (fee: $200, £128) and permission to leave their place of work. For graduate professionals, that means a letter signed by a minister. They also need $150 for the exit permit, more than seven times the average monthly salary.

Government critics can be refused permission to travel. Highly-valued professionals, like doctors, face extra restrictions.

I think you're off a bit about their ability to travel. Some can and do. For most, it's impossible. I've met a few that could travel, one worked for a computer company. But most can't. As for $40 being a good salary? No way. Neither is $1,000 here for a teacher. I call that subsistence living. You can get by, but it's not a great life.

There is no "US propaganda". They hear from their relatives and know they are living a much better life. Freedom to do what they want, say what they want, and work how they like. All impossible in Cuba. Their government has ruined a beautiful country and a great population. I've been many times, spent lots of time with locals (illegally, as it's not really allowed). Dressed up as a Cuban so I could ride along with them (didn't really work, but at least I tried). Sneaked into their house after dark via back entrances so I could stay with them. Etc. I had some very good friends living there and visited them several times.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-latin-america-18933175

Would-be travellers need a letter of invitation from the person they want to visit (fee: $200, £128) and permission to leave their place of work. For graduate professionals, that means a letter signed by a minister. They also need $150 for the exit permit, more than seven times the average monthly salary.

Government critics can be refused permission to travel. Highly-valued professionals, like doctors, face extra restrictions.

"Good" or "better life" life do not means the same to everybody...What is Heaven for some... may be Hell for others....but I understand.

The only universal right of people is to be and think different..follow its dreams..and to do everything its can to live under its own terms. ...even risking its lives.

• Like 1

I remember going to the market one day with my buddy and his 2 sisters. I was with another guy from the US, who's known this Cuban guy for years. We always had a great time with him and his family. At the market, I bought some apples. Gave one to his sister and she stood there looking at it. We laughed and said "bite it!". 5555 She didn't know how. She'd never had an apple before. She was 25 years old or so. This was in 2000 or something like that.

We then took all of them out for dinner. Had steaks. They were all ecstatic. They kept saying "protein!". They rarely get to eat beef, like almost never. They live in Guanabo.

Edited by lovetotravel
  • Like 1

Looks like we had different experiences. Happens....but I am surprised that a Doctor didn't move from Cuba if is unhappy.. $40 is a good salary, in Cuba for a Doctor, like $ 1000 is in Thailand for a teacher....when $1000 salary means misery status in the US. Everything is relative, when you really knows about. Any Cuban with money to buy a plane ticket to Mexico for $150 can leave anytime, and many do....and can obtain asylum status at the Mex/US border. I have Cuban friends studying in Italy and coming back to Cuba. Who said that EVERYBODY in Cuba likes the Government? Cubans have choices, always had, but the Cuban Government will not pay for them to leave the country....to follow the "American Dream"... No country do.

$40 in Cuba for a doctor is about the same as $90 in thailand, or $150 in the US. Cuba is expensive. Supplies are desperately needed. Fruits and vegetables, and meats are expensive. So, stop fooling yourself. The average Cuban cannot leave. Those friends of yours who travel around the world are from wealthy, and well connected families. The government is as oppressive as ever. Raul is Fidel with a different costume. Granted, he is a bit less ideological, but then again so is everyone else on the planet.

• Like 1