Tottenham Thread

chonabot

I watched the game last night.

I don't think Spurs were awful, they put some good passing movements together, they just can't finish. But let's be frank...apart from their goal...Hull were not very good, they did not have much possession and only had limited chances.

Campbell looks lightweight and looks about as much use as a one armed man in a hand clapping competition- compared to Berbatov or Keane. He did very well for Hull in the championship last season and may well do well there again in 10 months time!!

From what I have read Ramos said that he could not get a replacement for Berbarov as he was sold on transfer deadline day. However he never played him from the start of the season and the other Spurs players had sent him to coventry, A blind man could see he was going to be sold to someone...so why did they not get a replacement?

It's utter madness to let your top strikers go and not replace them. Spurs fans are not calling for Ramos's head (it would cost Spurs a reported 15m to sack him) it's the clown in the Directors box who has been signing crap players they want out.

Bentley was superb for Blackburn last year...what happened...he can only get a place on the subs bench????...he comes on and plays as a full back !!

Lennon looked the most likely......and he was substituted.

There is no such thing as "Too good to go down" the table does not lie, Spurs may well get out of it, but I think they are in for a season long relegation battle. Top teams have been relegated before, Man Utd, Chelsea...and look what happened to the once "Mighty" Leeds !!!.....it CAN happen to Spurs, I think Newcastle will get out of it once they have a new board and Manager in place (probably Keegan again)...what have Spurs got in the locker that makes them think they will get out of this mess?

Bolton beating West Ham did them no favours, but Stoke's poor form helped them, although Stoke are not being thrashed by anyone, a draw at Liverpoool and a narrow defeat by Pompey, I think they beleive they can survive.

If you put last season's last ten games and add them to this season I believe Spurs have only won once in 17 league matches.

Relegation CAN happen, and Spurs are definatley in BIG trouble.

I feel for you Spurs fans I really do.....I have always looked out for their scores...except when playing Reading, I want them to do well, this situation gives me no pleasure...I want to see Bolton, Stoke and Fulham go !!

Oh and quote of the day from Ramos "If you can't score goals you can't win games" Well I never knew that

There is no such thing as "Too good to go down" the table does not lie, Spurs may well get out of it, but I think they are in for a season long relegation battle. Top teams have been relegated before, Man Utd, Chelsea...and look what happened to the once "Mighty" Leeds !!!.....it CAN happen to Spurs, I think Newcastle will get out of it once they have a new board and Manager in place (probably Keegan again)...what have Spurs got in the locker that makes them think they will get out of this mess?

I completely agree. I have not seen such a poor Spurs side since I started supporting them. The premiership this season looks very competitive, more so than the past few years. Spurs do not have anything in the locker to get them out of the mess they are in. Levy can count the extra millions he made from the debacle that was the Berbatov transfer but he will be crying over the millions he will lose from being in the Championship.

Getting rid of Ramos wont change anything in my opinion. There is something rotten at the club. Maybe even Comolli is not to blame but he should be pushed in my opinion.

When they played Chelsea earlier in the season, they actually played some good stuff. The problem is that they have not replaced Berbatov and Keane, who scored the majority of their goals. Campbell is not the finished article and the Russian is still unproven in the EPL. Could he go the same way as Rebrov?

Spurs have got to get there act together, and fast otherwise they are going to be in deep shit. Still time for them to turn it around, but every week that goes by with a poor result then it is going to become more and more difficult to turn it around. Can't beleive that Venables is being mentioned, but considering we've had the return of Kevin Keegan and Joe Kinner in the past 9 months anything is possible. Ossie Ardiles anyone? :o

I completely agree. I have not seen such a poor Spurs side since I started supporting them. The premiership this season looks very competitive, more so than the past few years. Spurs do not have anything in the locker to get them out of the mess they are in. Levy can count the extra millions he made from the debacle that was the Berbatov transfer but he will be crying over the millions he will lose from being in the Championship.

Getting rid of Ramos wont change anything in my opinion. There is something rotten at the club. Maybe even Comolli is not to blame but he should be pushed in my opinion.

TP and Sarpendon I agree with all your comments.

I admit I was a leader of the "Jol must go" camp, and now it looks like I must eat my words.

TP, maybe we can re-establish our rivalry when Spurs play Reading in League one. :o

Here's a little article I copied from BBC Sport today:

Juande Ramos wandered across White Hart Lane's deserted car park with a companion's arm draped consolingly around his shoulder - a man who looked resigned even if he insisted he was not resigning.

An hour earlier a small group of fans gathered on Bill Nicholson Way and ordered Spurs chairman Daniel Levy to vacate the premises, a token protest that dispersed as quickly as this season's optimism as Hull again left north London with three points.

In the background we were brushing up on our history. It was the worst Spurs start since 1912 - the year the Titanic went down, the year Scott mounted a doomed mission to the South Pole.

As omens go they are not good. Take your pick, but whichever way you look the reign of Ramos at Spurs is in deep trouble as they prop up the Premier League.

Spurs did not play badly on Sunday, but there is a glaring lack of leadership on and off the pitch that is draining away any hopes they had of making a serious impression this season.

And in the centre of the vortex is Ramos, the man who knew only glory at Sevilla and who enjoyed a spectacularly false dawn with last season's Carling Cup triumph against Chelsea.

He told us, in faltering but improving English, that "all the people" were responsible for Spurs' almost unthinkable position at the foot of the table.

And yet he will know that if Spurs continue to lose, responsibility will ultimately be his - with director of football Damien Comolli possibly thrown in for good measure.

Ramos also struggles with the legacy of Martin Jol, with a straw poll among Spurs fans making it clear great affection remains for the Dutchman so ruthlessly and hastily dispatched by Levy last season.

They do not see Ramos as an upgrade on Jol and results bear out their opinion, with the latter flourishing at the Bundesliga summit with Hamburg.

Spurs have gifted players, but tactically there is no plan and Ramos's inertia was in sharp contrast to the pro-activity of his Hull counterpart Phil Brown as the media sat just yards away from the dug-out on Sunday.

Brown will empathise with the pressures placed on Ramos. After all, he was sacked in short order by Derby County (looks a great decision now does it not?), leaving with dignity before rebuilding his career at Hull.

But the two men looked poles apart when it came to motivation and body language as the rain lashed White Hart Lane.

Ramos was almost unmoved throughout the game, apart from the odd semaphore gesture. He wore a permanently mournful expression, and whatever messages he was trying to get across to his team looked to be falling on deaf ears.

Brown did everything apart from step on the pitch and play in the game. He warmed up in training kit with his players before switching to a sharp suit and fashionable ear-piece in time for the start.

He turned to his substitutes prior to kick-off and did a jig of anticipatory delight. An old-fashioned clearance from one of his defenders was met with a clenched fist and on one occasion he physically went through the motion of making a clearance for Michael Turner.

Brown provided almost minute-by-minute directions whereas Ramos looked lost as another game drifted away.

When Hull looked to the sidelines they got leadership, while Spurs got nothing apart from the odd wave of the arm and a quizzical glance from a man who almost seemed detached from the action.

Ramos's only contributions as the game slipped away were mystifying.

David Bentley came on for Chris Gunter and filled in at right-back. He actually did it with a measure of success but is this the sign of a considered strategy? The man who came for £17m from Blackburn to fill the right-flank role used as an auxiliary defender?

It is not going to improve his England chances, as he discovered shortly after the final whistle when he was jettisoned by Fabio Capello.

Roman Pavlyuchenko looked only vaguely interested before limping off, and with a faltering attack supported by a midfield lacking a general, it is only a matter of time before the defence comes under pressure.

And yet there were signs of promise amid the debris of another Spurs defeat. Jermaine Jenas drove them in the first 45 minutes, while Gareth Bale and Gunter form a promising young full-back pairing.

There is room for improvement and if Spurs repeat Sunday's performance on another day, then there will be occasions when they win, but this can be no consolation as they examine their current plight.

Spurs were backed by a hugely supportive White Hart Lane crowd, who were virtually unwavering until the final whistle, when they let out a frustrated chorus of jeering that was almost a reflex action.

But we get back to that lack of leadership and a transfer policy that looks more flawed with every passing week.

Luka Modric (or Luka Moderate as he was cruelly labelled by one critic) looks as if he is not enjoying the rough and tumble of the Premier League. He may blossom in a good team, but Spurs are not that team at present.

Giovani dos Santos looks a luxury Spurs cannot afford in the current climate. He does not appear part of any grand plan.

Ramos is under growing pressure, and he will not be protected by the lucrative terms of his contract forever if Spurs continue to lose.

So where has this Spurs malaise come from when the season was ushered in with such ambition and hope?

Ramos came perilously close to giving the game away when he said: "It is difficult for us to score goals. This is the main reason for no wins.

"The position of striker is the most weak. With only two strikers it is difficult."

In what was a harsh, but scrupulously fair, after-match interrogation, this was the question that drove at the heart of Spurs' problems.

If a lack of attacking options has taken Spurs on a voyage to the bottom of the Premier League, who is responsible for that?

Spurs chairman Levy must take his share, a man so intent on winning his battle for £30m with Manchester United for Dimitar Berbatov that he lost the war to boost his striking strength after the additional departures of Jermain Defoe and Robbie Keane.

Comolli is also in the dock as the man who master-minds (a term used in its loosest sense admittedly) their transfer policy, and was reduced to accepting Fraizer Campbell on loan from United as part of the Berbatov deal with time ticking away before the transfer window closed.

Campbell looks exactly what he is. He is a promising youngster who is a work in progress and his presence drew more excitement from Hull fans than the home crowd after his loan spell on Humberside last season.

If he does well, United will take him back with thanks. A win-win in their dealings with the king of the hard bargain Levy.

If, as someone once said, you will not win anything with kids, there is another brutal footballing fact.

This states that you will not win trophies with an attack that is a blend of youth and mediocrity, which is currently what Spurs have at their disposal.

Pavlyuchenko looks a punt at £14m while Darren Bent carries the same demeanour that Chris Sutton had at Chelsea and James Beattie struggled with at Everton - right man wrong club.

Ramos cut a sorrowful figure as he faced the media. The downbeat, stony expression that passed for inner strength in his early days now looks like a mask of puzzled despair.

He needs to find it within himself to lead this talented but rudderless group of players and to stamp his own imprint on a squad seemingly fashioned by someone else.

Ramos summoned up his limited English to announce: "This is my job. I am the same whether we win or lose."

He was half right. It is his job if they win. If they lose, then it might be a different matter.

Edited by Mobi

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.teamtalk.com/football/story/0,1...4347190,00.html

No hard feelings, says jubilant Jol Martin Jol, top of the Bundesliga with Hamburg, does not hold any grudges against Tottenham despite his acrimonious exit from White Hart Lane.

Twelve months on from his departure, Jol has steered Hamburg into top spot in Germany while Spurs are propping up the Premier League under Jol's successor Juande Ramos.

The portly Dutchman told Sky Sports News: "They have got probably a worse situation than I had last year.

"I had to play with Chimbonda at left-back, Tainio at right-back and Kaboul - they have got Woodgate and Gareth Bale and all these players, they are star players - it is a totally different situation from a year ago."

Jol does admit it took him a little time to get over his dismissal but admits he has no hard feelings.

He added: "I wish them all the best, but of course it took me one or two months.

"They won the Carling Cup with that team, which was good I thought but they changed it - and that is their responsibility but as I said I wish them all the best."

The likeable Dutchman also refused to rule out the prospect of returning to work in England.

"I still have my house in England and maybe in the future I might go back," he concluded.

COME ON THE POTTERS!

This is s "Must Win" game for Spurs.

If they cannot beat Stoke away...then it must be assumed that they can't beat anyone away !!

Only saw the last 30 minutes of the game but Spurs didnt win any balls in the midfield and that midget they paid 17 million quid for, for having a couple of good games v England was useless.

Still i cant see them going down, Spurs players are supposed to be in their prime.

Anyway on a lighter note Spurs are throwing a party in May 2009, everyones invited -

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=27736048058

What a shambles Spurs are right now.

I stayed up to watch the game..I predicted a corner turning 1-0 win for them....but they let me down.

OK I can cope with that but how Spurs fans must be feeling is way beyond anything I have to worry about.

As I said previously, if they can't beat Stoke away...no disrespect to Stoke ...then who on earth CAN they beat away fom home, so where are the points going to come from.

Only one team, Southampton, have avoided relegation in the last 10 years with 2 points from the first 8 games.

I am afraid that I think Spurs won't get out of it now, they can't bring in any new faces till Christmas, even then they would need time to gel.....the team he is playing now still don't seem to have any co-ordination.

Bentley...dropped four times ...substituted again today...what on earth is going on? We all know that you don't become a bad player overnight, hailed as the new Beckham, his future looked so bright, but being forced to play out of his favourite position (if he even gets picked) is not helping his or Spur's cause. We all get depressed in our work when things are going badly...and I see no evidence of Ramos trying any kind of tactics to bring his players out of their black moods.

A win for Newcastle tonight and Spurs will be cut adrift as Derby were, except at this stage last season Derby had more points.

Spurs fans dreams of a fouth place finish might well come true.

But its more likely to be in the Championship in 18 months time...unless they do something DRASTIC....but what I don't know.

The mistakes off the field have ben made and the die is cast I'm afraid.

I have some good mates who are Spurs fans on this forum.....I really feel sorry for your plight.

What on earth should the board do?

resign en masse if they had any sense of honour. put in a structure which lets a talented manager sign his own players and have a say in who does / doesn't get sold. joke club spurs are under this administration.

the team have no clue and no confidence ,the goalie is totally out of his depth and the manager has run out of ideas,sacking the manager wont help,now the problem is nobody are scared of spurs and all feel like chelsea its 3 point lane ,only a miracle will keep this team up now.

I stayed up to watch the game..I predicted a corner turning 1-0 win for them....but they let me down.

OK I can cope with that but how Spurs fans must be feeling is way beyond anything I have to worry about.

As I said previously, if they can't beat Stoke away...no disrespect to Stoke ...then who on earth CAN they beat away fom home, so where are the points going to come from.

Only one team, Southampton, have avoided relegation in the last 10 years with 2 points from the first 8 games.

I am afraid that I think Spurs won't get out of it now, they can't bring in any new faces till Christmas, even then they would need time to gel.....the team he is playing now still don't seem to have any co-ordination.

Bentley...dropped four times ...substituted again today...what on earth is going on? We all know that you don't become a bad player overnight, hailed as the new Beckham, his future looked so bright, but being forced to play out of his favourite position (if he even gets picked) is not helping his or Spur's cause. We all get depressed in our work when things are going badly...and I see no evidence of Ramos trying any kind of tactics to bring his players out of their black moods.

A win for Newcastle tonight and Spurs will be cut adrift as Derby were, except at this stage last season Derby had more points.

But its more likely to be in the Championship in 18 months time...unless they do something DRASTIC....but what I don't know.

I have some good mates who are Spurs fans on this forum.....I really feel sorry for your plight.

No disrespect to Stoke????

we have scored 3 goals against villa and 2 against everton and competed against chelsea so you were shocked when we thumped the gutless cockneys.

lucky they didnt lose 4-1 and their goal was way offside and hutton should have been sent off too for the stud attack on our goalkeeper that eft him bloodied.Stoke arent the best in the league and are not skillful but i have one thing to say.

WELCOME TO THE BRIT----- THIS IS GOING TO HURT

GOARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRN YOU MIGHTY POTTERS,THE PLACE WITH BIG BALLS.

It was a complete shambles as expected. Relegation looks odds on at the moment. I just cannot see a win from this group of players. Ramos looks totally out of his depth and just a bit clueless. Tottenham Hotspur, there used to be a club over there.

Does anyone know where to catch Championship games on TV?

No disrespect to Stoke????

we have scored 3 goals against villa and 2 against everton and competed against chelsea so you were shocked when we thumped the gutless cockneys.

lucky they didnt lose 4-1 and their goal was way offside and hutton should have been sent off too for the stud attack on our goalkeeper that eft him bloodied.Stoke arent the best in the league and are not skillful but i have one thing to say.

WELCOME TO THE BRIT----- THIS IS GOING TO HURT

GOARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRN YOU MIGHTY POTTERS,THE PLACE WITH BIG BALLS.

Thats why I said "No Disrespect to Stoke"....but IMHO you will still go down, I beleive you are most ill equipped side to come up and as Hull will not be going down ..and it is a given that 2 out of the 3 promoted sides retuen to the fizzy, Stoke will be one of them.

Just don't have the strength in depth.....All the Reading fans were glad to see the back of Sonko, he is a real liability, he would not get into our Championship side, let alone the Premier League, he used to be good ..but he lost it and is just too darn slow and nearly cost you an equaliser yesterday......and has Kitson actually scored a goal in Stoke's first 8 games? I am not 100% sure ,but I dont think so.

My advice is to enjoy it while you can...I enjoyed our two years , and expect us to be a yo yo team for a number of years..something Stoke may well aspire to..if you are very lucky :o