Tottenham Thread

chonabot

• Replies 31.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Are you ready for the second battle tonight, boys? :D

Absolutley , I just hope the team is ready..shame it's not on the box eh ?

:D

Yeah, they're showing a couple of second rate teams at Blackburn :o

I'm gutted. As it turns out i could have gone after all. Mid week matches are always a problem for me, as i work too far away and can hardly get home in time but i would have had time....just :D

I'll go the pub anyway and see if one of those norwegian, saudi or whatever channels are showing it.

Are you ready for the second battle tonight, boys? :D

Absolutley , I just hope the team is ready..shame it's not on the box eh ?

Yeah, they're showing a couple of second rate teams at Blackburn :o

I'm gutted. As it turns out i could have gone after all. Mid week matches are always a problem for me, as i work too far away and can hardly get home in time but i would have had time....just :D

I'll go the pub anyway and see if one of those norwegian, saudi or whatever channels are showing it.

Sorry about the result Mr B , but you're still in the FA cup and in the top 4 !

Cheers Chon :o

Well done to your boys. Can't deny i'm gutted but your guys showed some real resiliance after going down to 10 men.

Now, go and win the <deleted> thing :D

That would be nice, Thanks !

Thats a great Idea!

Unlucky Mr B, your lot are still in a great position though!

Lets hope this is the upward point for the spurs.

Mark

The best yet!

Tuesday night's 2-0 triumph was a display full of character, determination and no little skill as we overcame losing Didier Zokora as early as the 21st minute to a controversial red card, forcing Juande into a tactical switch and leaving us with the prospect of facing a City side with a home record of played 10, won 10 going into the game with 10 men for 70 minutes.

Thankfully, we were already 1-0 up by then as Jermain Defoe converted Aaron Lennon’s cross in the fifth minute. JD had to be sacrificed following the sending off with Teemu Tainio coming in at right-back and Pascal Chimbonda switching to central defence.

The lads relished the challenge and appeared determined that nothing was going to stand between them and another shot at a Wembley final.

When we were breached, Paul Robinson stood firm. He produced arguably his best save of the season to tip over Darius Vassell’s point-blank header and, with the score still 1-0, matched that with another reaction stop to palm away Rolando Bianchi’s header, Younes Kaboul hacking the rebound off the line.

We wrapped it up in the 82nd minute when the outstanding Dimitar Berbatov found Jamie O’Hara, he picked out Steed Malbranque and the Frenchman slotted provided the finish.

The victory – our third on the trot – booked a place in the semi-finals of the competition for the second-successive year and made it one defeat in 11 games since Juande took up his Head Coach role.

“It’s a positive result and sets us up for the rest of the season,” said Juande. “To win away from home in a cup tie against a team like Manchester City, who are up there in the league at the moment and on a good run of form at home, having been one man down after 20 minutes, it’s something really positive.

“We had to work extra hard after being down to 10 men to make up for having that inferior number. We ended up with just rewards for our efforts and the result will stand us in good stead in terms of the mindset of the lads.

“Paul Robinson did his job and I’d like to give credit to the rest of the side. The players who are meant to score goals found the net and everyone else on the pitch worked so hard, particularly the midfield.”

As for the red card – a decision that was at the least harsh, as Didier appeared to win the ball and make very little contact with Elano – Juande made clear his thoughts. “It was absolutely undeserved, unjust and it wasn’t a sending off, no way. We then had to pay the penalty of being a man down.”

COME ON YOU SPURS!!

Arsenal in the semi finals!!!!! Would you believe it!!

I personally would have liked to see a Tottenham-Arsenal final at wembley, but never mind, bring em on!!

Uefa cup update

We have finished second in Group G of the UEFA Cup after the final round of matches played on Wednesday night.

Getafe beat Anderlecht 2-1 at the Coliseam Alfonso Perez to top the group. Anderlecht finish third on five points and go through to the Round of 32 ahead of Danish side Aalborg, who beat Hapoel Tel Aviv 3-1 on Wednesday night.

Finishing second means we will face one of the eight third-placed sides from the UEFA Champions League groups - Olympique de Marseille, Rosenborg BK, Werder Bremen, SL Benfica, Rangers, Sporting Clube de Portugal, PSV Eindhoven and SK Slavia Prague - with home advantage in the second leg.

UEFA Cup group winners will be drawn against teams finishing third.

The draw for both the Round of 32 and Round of 16 of the UEFA Cup takes place in Nyon, Switzerland at noon on Friday.

The first leg of the Round of 32 will be played on February 13/14 with the return on February 21.

Wish Spurs would get out of the UEFA cup sharpish as it really is a joke competition with the number of games you have to play to pick up the pot and even finishing 3rd in the group you get to go through as markr states. We don't have the depth to play 2 games a week nor do we have the sense to play second string side a la Gooners and I would say there is every chance of losing a key player for matches that do mean something. Get away from this crap competition and concentrate on the league makes sense but football is all about money these days so no doubt Levy and Co will relish the till ringing Wednesday and weekends for many a week to come as long as we don't get relegated.

Shame eh?

Although i agree with your sentiments about too many games and not enough players.

Get away from this crap competition and concentrate on the league makes sense

But to concentrate on the league for what? So you can qualify for Europe and play too many games next season :o

It's a vicious circle eh :D

Playing in any European comp attracts the best players. The season is lost as far as the league is concerned. Lets go as far as we can in the cups and hopefully get some long overdue silverware. They are our best chance of an interesting season next year. They kick start by turning over the Gooners twice

SALVIA PRAGUE IN UEFA CUP

We have been drawn against Slavia Prague in the round of 32 of the UEFA Cup, with the first leg to be played away from home.

We progressed from our qualifying group with seven points while the Czech side finished third in their Champions League group, which included Arsenal.

The tie will be a repeat of last season's qualifying round clash, which we won 2-0 on aggregate.

The first leg is scheduled to be played on Thursday February 14, with the return leg the following week.

Should we progress from the round of 32, we will face the winners of the tie between PSV Eindhoven and Helsingborgs IF in the last 16, with the first leg to be played at White Hart Lane.

COME ON YOU SPURS

It's a vicious circle eh :o

I think your right Mrbojangles but this competition has to be the cheesiest in football but at least justice was served to Aberdeen who qualified with 4 points from 4 games and finishing third as they get to strut their stuff against Bayern Munich and Spurs will at least be tested by Slavia Prague.

Mark -- see u tonight!!

van Persie: We know what the fans want

At the risk of stating the obvious, striker Robin van Persie says that the players know what every Arsenal fan wants this weekend - for their team to beat arch-rivals Tottenham.

van Persie said: "When I see the fans in the street, they tell me that the Tottenham game is the one they want us to win.

"It means so much for these people, whether they are at the training ground, or when I am out shopping.

"It doesn't matter where, everyone speaks about this game. It means a lot.

"You can sense there is a special atmosphere. It is similar to the games against Chelsea and Manchester United in terms of atmosphere and that's what I like the most.

courtesy: arsenal-mania.com

ohhh also check out some news about Spurs here

Hope your doing ok MiG

Mark

at this very moment....92nd minute.... :D Im doing quite ok Mark :D

sowwy :D

but hey good game :D u guys were pretty good.

I'm glad your ok

Never mind :o your lot are flying at the moment so i'm not too dissapointed

I'll be able to have the last laugh one day!

Mark

Talk about a commentator's curse. What was David Pleat thinking of?!!! The moment he said those words "Robbie Keane never misses penalty kicks" there was only going to be one outcome.

I even said to the missus that Keane would miss not that she knew what I was talking about. There are 2 commentators who I can't handle and the other is Trevor Francis but Pleat between patting himself on the back was diabolical and what the gooner lads thought of his comments is hard to imagine although they would have been rubbing their hands with joy with his build up to the penalty.

But what a good game and such a shame that Keane played like he had been out for 3 months instead of 3 games. Well impressed with Ramos tactics and how he set up the make shift defense and we really did deserve something out of it and if Keane hadn't had hit the bar when scoring was easier then we probably would have got at least a point. High points for me were the young Irish lad O'Hara who's distribution was excellent and second only to Robinson (how many times did he drop a 70 yard punt on Bernbatov's toes?) and Lennon, usually an 80 minute passenger, who got through more work than I have ever seen before and even Tanio looked better at full back than he ever does in the middle of the park. Negatives aside from the result? Never been a fan of Huddlestone and that goal he got away to Man City last season looks like a one off as all he has done since is threaten corner flag and Defoe with the fresh legs just doesn't seen to have the appetite that was so obvious a couple of seasons back and Berbatov's body language to me states quite clearly that his days at the Lane are numbered which will of course will be a huge loss.

Enjoyed it.

Tottenham 5-1 Fulham

Keane's second at White Hart Lane was his 100th Premier League goal

Robbie Keane and Tom Huddlestone each scored a brace to help Spurs win and compound managerless Fulham's Premier League struggles at White Hart Lane.

Keane tapped in the first after Steed Malbranque's volley had hit the post.

Huddlestone's excellent 20-yarder then made it 2-0, before Clint Dempsey bundled home against the run of play.

A Keane tap-in and Huddlestone drive put Spurs back in control immediately, though, and after Moritz Volz had seen red, Jermain Defoe rounded off the win.

Interview: Tottenham assistant coach Gus Poyet

Interview: Fulham caretaker boss Ray Lewington

It was the fourth Boxing Day running that Tottenham had grabbed victory, and an excellent day for the home fans was made all the better by the return of skipper Ledley King, who completed 73 impressive minutes after a serious knee injury.

The win, Tottenham's eighth under new manager Juande Ramos, ensured the hosts' improvement under the Spaniard was clear for all to see at the Lane.

And Fulham will be hoping whoever succeeds sacked former boss Lawrie Sanchez can have a similar impact at Craven Cottage, with the Londoners now on just 14 points from 19 games.

606: DEBATE

Ramos' Genius - I mean, the guy is very tactically astute

MIDOBIBO

A minute's applause was held for former Spur Tommy Harmer, who passed away on Christmas Day aged 79, before the game but there was little on the pitch to get the crowd going early on.

Tottenham almost completely monopolised possession in the opening stages but a wild effort from Fulham striker Clint Dempsey aside, there was not a shot on goal in the first 24 minutes.

However, the hosts' quiet authority was soon rewarded and Malbranque was key to the opener.

The Frenchman was quick to react to Pascal Chimbonda's knock-back and he crashed a superb volley against the post with Antti Niemi beaten, Keane tapping in the rebound.

The goal did little to improve the rather slow tempo of the game but it did at least provide Malbranque and Dimitar Berbatov the opportunity to show some fine touches of the ball with the visiting defence reduced to some desperate defence at times.

The Cottagers were not without good moments of their own, not least when Aaron Hughes and Simon Davies each had shots blocked in quick succession, but the second Spurs goal before half-time effectively ended the game as a contest.

The return of King, right, rounded off a pleasing day for Spurs fans

Again Malbranque had a part to play, the midfielder squaring to Berbatov, whose lay-off was crashed home left-footed by Huddlestone with Niemi unmoved.

Such was Malbranque's first-half dominance that Fulham right-back Chris Baird was replaced at half time by Volz.

It did little to halt the hosts' dominance in the second half, but against the run of play Dempsey provided Fulham with a glimmer of hope, bundling the ball home from Diomansy Kamara's cross.

It had a hint of offside and handball about it, but Spurs' grievances lasted little more than a minute as Keane restored their two-goal lead when he tapped in from all of a yard after Berbatov's header.

The Cottagers were visibly deflated by the immediate reply and Huddlestone compounded their misery with a fine fourth, driving into the corner right-footed from the edge of the area.

Volz, who had also been terrorised by Malbranque, later saw red for a second booking but Fulham were long a beaten side before Defoe wrapped things up with a fine touch and finish after more good work by Huddlestone.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tottenham assistant manager Gus Poyet:

"That was a very good win. It might not have been the best game, to be honest, but we seemed to score every time we had a shot.

"The key to the game was to keep going - to push for the third, the fourth, the fifth - and we did that. That is the mentality we want the players to have and they are starting to understand what Juande is coaching them.

"It was also brilliant to see Ledley back out there, he was outstanding today. We know how important he is and now we need to keep him fit. But he was excellent."

Fulham caretaker boss Ray Lewington:

"To be honest, we didn't get out of our traps at all. We let them play and when you face a side with the quality Spurs have, you will get punished.

"We're carrying around this horrible away record and it comes down to us being too nice. We've got decent players, but we have to get in people's faces as well.

"Our next game against Birmingham is now a cup final. If we can't bounce back from the humiliation of today, and I include myself in that, there's something wrong with us."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tottenham: Robinson, Chimbonda, Kaboul, King (Taarabt 73), Lee, Lennon, O'Hara, Huddlestone, Malbranque, Berbatov (Boateng 63), Keane (Defoe 68).

Subs Not Used: Cerny, Bent.

Booked: Huddlestone.

Goals: Keane 27, Huddlestone 45, Keane 62, Huddlestone 71, Defoe 90.

Fulham: Niemi, Baird (Volz 46), Hughes (Healy 64), Bocanegra, Konchesky, Ki-Hyeon (Bouazza 46), Smertin, Davies, Murphy, Kamara, Dempsey.

Subs Not Used: Warner, Kuqi.

Sent Off: Volz (87).

Booked: Baird, Volz, Smertin, Davies.

Goals: Dempsey 60.

Att: 36,077

Ref: Andre Marriner (W Midlands).

Nice !

Tottenham 6-4 Reading

By David McIntyre

Berbatov has now scored 11 goals this season

Dimitar Berbatov scored four goals for Tottenham as they won an amazing game.

Berbatov put Spurs ahead with a tap-in before Kalifa Cisse levelled and Ivar Ingimarsson headed Reading in front.

Berbatov smashed home an equaliser, Dave Kitson restored Reading's lead and Berbatov completed his hat-trick only for Kitson to then put Reading 4-3 up.

Steed Malbranque equalised and Jermain Defoe scored from the rebound after Robbie Keane's penalty was parried, before Berbatov got Spurs' sixth.

Interview: Tottenham assistant boss Gus Poyet

Interview: Reading boss Steve Coppell

Tottenham - with defender Ledley King playing his second match following his comeback from a knee injury - made the perfect start, going ahead after six minutes.

Keane beat the offside trap to collect Malbranque's clever pass and cross for Berbatov to score from eight yards.

The home side looked in control but then conceded an equaliser against the run of play.

Spurs keeper Paul Robinson could only punch Nicky Shorey's long free-kick to the feet of Cisse, who made no mistake from the edge of the penalty area.

Keane then missed a golden chance to regain the lead for Spurs just before the break.

Ingimarsson slipped under pressure from Berbatov, whose low cross from the right flank left Keane with the goal at his mercy but the Irishman was unable to connect.

606: DEBATE

I am just lost for words after that!

LP

Keane's miss was punished eight minutes into the second half, when Ingimarsson put the Royals in front by heading in Shorey's corner.

The header was almost straight at Robinson, but the England keeper failed to react and not for the first time this season was arguably at fault for the goal.

Robinson later redeemed himself by twice diving at the feet of Kitson to deny the Reading striker.

Kitson's hesitation after Cisse's deflected shot dropped to him allowed Robinson to intervene, and the keeper again thwarted Kitson after he had linked up well with Royals midfielder Bobby Convey.

A third Reading goal seemed to be on the cards but a mistake by Graeme Murty gifted Spurs an equaliser.

Substitute Defoe found space on the right and his ball into the box was poorly dealt with by Murty, whose clearance straight to Berbatov allowed the Bulgarian to fire into the roof of the net.

But Reading - without an away win all season - hit back almost straightaway.

Again a Shorey corner was Tottenham's undoing, with Kitson heading in the full-back's perfect delivery.

The White Hart Lane scoreboard says it all

Almost every attack seemed to result in a goal and with the Reading defence standing still, Berbatov poked the ball beyond keeper Marcus Hahnemann, completing his hat-trick and levelling the match at 3-3.

Astonishingly, Reading regained the lead with their next attack. This time Kitson was released by Stephen Hunt's perfect pass and calmly lifted the ball over Robinson.

Spurs' response was equally emphatic.

They dug out another equaliser on 76 minutes when Tom Huddlestone picked out Malbranque, who shrugged off Sonko's challenge and found the corner of Hahnemann's net.

Three minutes later, Tottenham were awarded a penalty after Sonko fouled Keane.

Hahnemann saved Keane's spot-kick but Defoe was on hand to score from the rebound with a close-range header.

The outstanding Berbatov still managed to have the final say, latching on to Younes Kaboul's long ball and shooting past the beleaguered Hahnemann to finally complete the scoring.

Tottenham assistant coach Gus Poyet:

"The positive is that we've shown we are capable of coming back even when we are conceding too many goals.

"We have to look at the positives, be happy with the six goals and three points, and move on.

"It was a great game for Match Of The Day, but not a great game if you were one of the managers."

Reading manager Steve Coppell:

"It was great entertainment and if you were impartial it would have been a magnificent game to watch.

"Once we got in front three times we should have put the game to bed, but our nature is to attack.

"As a unit, we've got to question some of what we did. Defensively, we made some bad decisions."

Tottenham: Robinson, Chimbonda, Kaboul, King (Defoe 61), Lee, Lennon (Boateng 67), Jenas, Huddlestone, Malbranque, Berbatov, Keane (Tainio 80).

Subs Not Used: Cerny, Taarabt.

Goals: Berbatov 7, 63, 73, Malbranque 76, Defoe 79, Berbatov 83.

Reading: Hahnemann, Murty (De la Cruz 71), Sonko, Ingimarsson, Shorey, Hunt, Cisse, Harper, Convey (Long 84), Doyle, Kitson.

Subs Not Used: Federici, Lita, Bikey.

Booked: Cisse, Shorey, Long.

Goals: Cisse 16, Ingimarsson 53, Kitson 69, 74.

Att: 36,178

Ref: Keith Stroud (Hampshire).

BBC Sport Player Rater man of the match: Tottenham's Dimitar Berbatov 9.41 (on 90 minutes).

I was lucky enough to be at the Lane today and it was a hel_l of a match , I only wish Thaipauly could have watched it with me ! A shame one team had to lose , but I firmly believe that Spurs are going to have a great 2nd half of the season!

COYS!

I would have loved to have been there with you Chon, if only to see your face when we kept taking the lead :bah:

But of course the last laugh would have been on me :D

We certainly put up a great performance and had the chances to make it 5-4 ourselves but squandered them, it semed that every time Berbatov had the ball he was going to score.

But at 4-4 even Ramos said that Keane's spot kick really should have ben retaken because of encrochment that was blatent for all to see.

The good thing for me was that I was able to jump out of my armchair 4 times, its s great feeling when your team do the unexpected, scoring four away and loosing is becoming a habit for us.

Oh..next game is Pompey...great :D They have not mustered 7 goals in the three months since they put 7 past us, so I am going for 0-0 :o

Well done Spurs, score 6 goals and you should by rights win....but it was closer than that and you know it :D

I think you will go forward after these 2 very important results, (Fulham and Reading) can we have Bent...does not seem like you really need him :D

• 2 weeks later...

Tottenham manager Juande Ramos is set to axe eight players - keeper Paul Robinson, Jermain Defoe, Pascal Chimbonda, Lee Young-Pyo, Anthony Gardner, Paul Stalteri, Wayne Routledge and Hossam Ghaly. (The Sun)

Well if half of it is true it has to be a step in the right direction but doubt Chibonda / Defoe / Robinson will go anywhere at least until end of the season but the others have nothing to offer combined so get rid of them as soon as we pick up a left back.

Tottenham manager Juande Ramos is set to axe eight players - keeper Paul Robinson, Jermain Defoe, Pascal Chimbonda, Lee Young-Pyo, Anthony Gardner, Paul Stalteri, Wayne Routledge and Hossam Ghaly. (The Sun)

How come he overlooked the Poruguese gnome and the 16 million quid misfit? Maybe saving them 2 for next week?

Maybe it will take another 20 years for the Yids to get a win at the bridge!

Chelsea 2-0 Tottenham

Chelsea kept the pressure on Arsenal and Manchester United at the top of the table with victory over Tottenham.

Juliano Belletti's powerful 25-yard strike put Chelsea ahead after Spurs left him with room to shoot at goal.

Tottenham struggled to create clear chances, with Steed Malbranque going closest with a well-struck volley.

Nicolas Anelka hit the bar after making his Chelsea debut off the bench and Shaun Wright-Phillips sealed the win with a low shot past Radek Cerny.

Chelsea's victory maintained their long-standing dominance over their London rivals at Stamford Bridge, with Spurs' last away win over the Blues coming back in 1990.

The opening stages were fiercely contested, but lacking in quality with the emphasis on perspiration rather than inspiration.

But the match suddenly exploded into life with a superb strike from Belletti, and Spurs had no-one to blame but themselves.

A scruffy Chelsea corner came all the way out to Ashley Cole just inside the Spurs half, and he squared the ball to Belletti who was given the freedom to amble forward, have two touches and pick his spot in the top corner.

Soon after, Spurs midfielder Kevin-Prince Boateng briefly forgot what sport he was playing as he hauled Joe Cole down on halfway with a rugby tackle that Jonny Wilkinson would have been proud of, and the German was lucky to escape with a booking.

Some genuine quality from Spurs almost led to the equaliser after Aaron Lennon, sprinting into acres of space with Ashley Cole nowhere to be seen, picked out the unmarked Malbranque at the back post, but his first-time volley was well saved by Petr Cech.

Spurs were seeing more of the ball and went close through Boateng, but a promising position was wasted by a dreadful free-kick from Jamie O'Hara which went out on the full.

Chelsea did get the ball in the net for a second time shortly before half-time, but Michael Ballack was so far offside from Florent Malouda's pass that he barely even bothered celebrating.

After the break, it was more of the same as both sides struggled to carve open clear cut opportunities and the main excitement came from watching the red mist descend on Malbranque.

The Frenchman was booked for a needless foul on Shaun Wright-Phillips and then hauled down Malouda moments later, shortly before being taken off by a sensible Juande Ramos.

Anelka's introduction for the severely disappointing Claudio Pizarro gave the game a much-needed lift and the £15m striker almost made an instant impression.

A skilful back-heel from Wright-Phillips found its way to Anelka inside the box, and he controlled it and shot on the turn only to be denied by a top-notch save from Cerny, who was again preferred to Paul Robinson between the posts.

Spurs raised their game and started to play some nice stuff around the box, but there was little real danger for Cech to deal with.

Wright-Phillips made the game safe for Chelsea with a powerful shot from the edge of the box after some fine work from Joe Cole, who looked sharp throughout.

And there was almost a fairytale finish for Anelka as he latched onto a loose ball in the box, but his shot smacked the underside of the bar and bounced away to safety.

Chelsea boss Avram Grant on the debut performance of striker Nicolas Anelka:

"When he came on he hit the post and forced the keeper to make a very good save.

"Normally he would not have played in this game because he did not train with us but we do not have strikers.

"So we put him on the bench and he is such an intelligent player that he knows how we play and how to fit in."

Tottenham assistant boss Guy Poyet:

"It was a poor game and it was tight with not many chances.

"Chelsea controlled the game and they are a team that even if they are not playing well will find a way to score and get the points.

"There were some positives in that our young midfield players did well and they competed.

"It is good experience for them to play here against big international players."

Chelsea: Cech, Belletti, Carvalho, Alex, Ashley Cole, Malouda (Bridge 84), Makelele, Ballack, Wright-Phillips (Sidwell 90), Pizarro (Anelka 58), Joe Cole.

Subs Not Used: Cudicini, Ben-Haim.

Booked: Makelele, Ballack.

Goals: Belletti 19, Wright-Phillips 80.

Tottenham: Cerny, Chimbonda, Dawson, King, Lee, Lennon, O'Hara (Defoe 77), Boateng (Kaboul 84), Malbranque (Taarabt 59), Keane, Berbatov.

Subs Not Used: Robinson, Gunter.

Booked: Boateng, Malbranque, O'Hara, Lennon.

Att: 41,777

Ref: Alan Wiley (Staffordshire).

• 2 weeks later...

Spurs target end of Arsenal jinx

Poyet (left) wants Wenger to taste derby defeat at White Hart Lane

Tottenham assistant Gus Poyet admits the whole club are desperate to end a nine-year winless run against Arsenal in Tuesday's Carling Cup semi-final.

The tie is poised at 1-1 going into the second leg at White Hart Lane, and Poyet said: "Everyone knows we haven't beaten Arsenal for a very long time.

"We are convinced we can win and reach the final, it doesn't matter how."

But Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger warned: "They played well in the first leg, we want to pay them back and qualify."

Interview: Tottenham assistant coach Gus Poyet

I won't have to say anything to the players, everyone will be desperate to play

Gus Poyet

He added: "The draw continued our long unbeaten run against Tottenham and I don't know why it should be that they haven't beaten us for more than eight years.

"They have always had good teams in that period, but we have been fighting for the title a lot in that time so we always have a high focus. Maybe after a while it becomes psychological as well.

"We will go there positively, looking for the win, and they will be too, so it is set up nicely."

Poyet admits the game is Spurs' biggest of the season and says the players will be right up for it in front of a packed home crowd.

"I hope there will be a bigger game than this - in the final - but for now at this moment it's the biggest game of the season for different reasons.

"It's all about making sure we get to the final - we believe we can and if we do it's going to be a great night for everyone.

"I won't have to say anything to the players, it's a perfect night for them to be involved - everyone will be desperate to play in this game."

Well here's hoping we don't blow it again........... :o

Well , as much as I hate to gloat, and I know it was the second string , except for Fabregas, Gallas , Adebeyour, Eduardo , Merson...*hic*...etc

Tottenham 5-1 Arsenal

(Spurs win 6-2 on aggregate)

By Mandeep Sanghera

Spurs celebrate after Robbie Keane put them 3-0 up against Arsenal

A pulsating Tottenham performance saw them run riot against Arsenal to book a place in the Carling Cup final.

Spurs got off to the perfect start when Jermaine Jenas angled in a shot to put them 2-1 ahead on aggregate.

Arsenal's Nicolas Bendtner then headed into his own net before Robbie Keane's 18-yard shot put Spurs 3-0 up.

Aaron Lennon sidefooted in for Spurs before Emmanuel Adebayor grabbed a consolation for Arsenal but Steed Malbranque's strike completed the rout.

Tottenham had been left rueing a late Arsenal equaliser in the first leg and they also had the psychological baggage of not having beaten their arch rivals since November 1999.

But with home advantage and Arsenal's penchant for fielding fringe players in the Carling Cup, Spurs scented victory and they grabbed an early lead.

Jenas was allowed time and space to drive a shot across goal and the ball went in off the post after three minutes.

Spurs gave Arsenal's defence no respite with their fluent and attacking football as they took a stranglehold on the match.

The Gunners were also starved of possession in attack and they rarely looked like levelling, due to a mixture of poor play and a determined White Hart Lane side.

Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger had kept faith with most of his second string for the game but drafted in a handful of first-team regulars in centre-back William Gallas, right-back Bacary Sagna and playmaker Alexander Hleb.

But the trio struggled to help their side break Spurs's grip and even the introduction of Cesc Fabregas for the injured Denilson did not help the visitors.

Instead, Bendtner's own goal added to the home side's lead after he headed in as he went up with Michael Dawson to meet a Jenas free-kick.

Arsenal were rattled and on the backfoot and Dimitar Berbatov should have inflicted another bodyblow to the visitors when he was clean through, only to hit the post with his shot.

Keane adds a third against Arsenal

Jenas poked into the side-netting just before the break but Spurs did not have long to wait for a third.

Lennon's delightful ball with the outside of his right foot sent Keane through to score with a shot which appeared to catch Fabianski by surprise and one he should have saved.

Almost immediately, Bendtner looked set to give Arsenal a lifeline, only to see his strike bounce the wrong side of the goal-line after hitting the underside of the crossbar.

It got worse for Arsenal when Lennon slotted in on the hour mark as Spurs threatened to run riot.

Adebayor's 20-yard strike was too late to give Arsenal a way back into the game and their frustration boiled over when Gallas and Bendtner were involved in a row at a free-kick.

Malbranque compounded Arsenal's misery as Juande Ramos secured a place in the Carling Cup final on 24 February in his first season in charge.

I just hope this is a sign of things to come , I know it's only the Milk cup , but we still have the final , The FA cup and the UEFA cup to go . Arsenal have not won anything for a while either. :o

COYS !!!

Archived