Tottenham Thread

chonabot

Just seen it again on MOTD. Both their goals shouldn't have stood. They had a decent penalty shout. 'bout it really. :(

It was a decent penalty shout. I would'nt have any complaints about vthat.

What i want to know, and ofcourse we'll never get an answer, is why a linesman was so adament confirming a goal that he clearly could/nt see? :whistling: And why did'nt Marriner not call him over, remind him he's an official, that very obviously, neither of them could see it, ;) so stop being such a <deleted>, :rolleyes: and then wave play on?

Its so crap its almost amusing :D

I really cannot believe you lot. One (decent) go at CL and now, all of a sudden, the Europa is beneath you. :lol:

Not worth the bother mate. Better concentrate on the league.....like you did this season. :D

I really cannot believe you lot. One (decent) go at CL and now, all of a sudden, the Europa is beneath you. :lol:

I think you'll find this is becoming a commonly held view right across europe with all the clubs that realistically are aspiring to qualify for the CL. ;) Certainly not a view that you guys can so predictably accuse us Spurs supporters of being above our station. :D Our objective is to get back in the CL asap and we obviously need to be able to focus more on the league which is what i hope we do at the expense of the europa.

:jap:

Just seen it again on MOTD. Both their goals shouldn't have stood. They had a decent penalty shout. 'bout it really. :(

What i want to know, and ofcourse we'll never get an answer, is why a linesman was so adament confirming a goal that he clearly could/nt see? :whistling: And why did'nt Marriner not call him over, remind him he's an official, that very obviously, neither of them could see it, ;) so stop being such a <deleted>, :rolleyes: and then wave play on?

I'm edging more in favour of the technology every year.....we might well have got 3 points there.....but overall we don't deserve CL this year...we've been <deleted> in the league the last few months.

Never mind there's always a french tantrum around the corner to cheer us up. :D

Not worth the bother mate. Better concentrate on the league.....like you did this season. :D

150m spent and yes smokie, they very much did focus on it and why would'nt they with their squad? With a better coach, who knows, they might have won it. :whistling:

I'm edging more in favour of the technology every year.....we might well have got 3 points there.....but overall we don't deserve CL this year...we've been <deleted> in the league the last few months.

We'll never get technology while Blatter and his cadre are at the helm. It does'nt "suit" them you see.

We'll never get technology while Blatter and his cadre are at the helm. It does'nt "suit" them you see.

Not too fond of cameras scrutiny and transparency now are they....?

I think you'll find this is becoming a commonly held view right across europe with all the clubs that realistically are aspiring to qualify for the CL. ;) Certainly not a view that you guys can so predictably accuse us Spurs supporters of being above our station. :D Our objective is to get back in the CL asap and we obviously need to be able to focus more on the league which is what i hope we do at the expense of the europa.

At least in the Europa it gives you exposure and experience of playing against different styles of play. Experience that, albeit isn't against the best in Europe it is a good "taster". It also gives you an extra revenue stream in addition to the extra money for finishing 5th instead of 6th.

At least in the Europa it gives you exposure and experience of playing against different styles of play. Experience that, albeit isn't against the best in Europe it is a good "taster". It also gives you an extra revenue stream in addition to the extra money for finishing 5th instead of 6th.

I agree with that i just feel that the only way we can get back in the CL is a narrower focus. Look at it from my perspective. Liverpool are soon going to be the best team in the world :D you lot ain't bad, Woolwich just wont go away, Chelsea will just keep spending when they get in trouble, Red Nose/Man Utd combination will always be there and theres only four places available.

I think we're being more realistic than above our station

Edited by carmine

Once again the Chelse/spurs game illlustrates the necessity for technology. Don't blame the goalie he blundered but made a great save stopping the ball going over the line.So whose fault was it thereafter? As has been said before the Europa league or whatever its' called is the losers competition, that's why finishing in the top 4 is better than winning both the FA and League Cups.

Sorry spurs.

I dont think Harry has quite come to terms with you lot failing to qualify for CL or he hasnt read your financial statements.

Your costs will rise 28% or 27m this year which is all well and good with CL but you will lose 30m of revenues next year. Last year costs rose just 2%. In the 6 months to December you had 18m of CL revenues and without those revenues you would have had a 14m loss. (A 14m loss is a drop in the ocean in football finance but Levy keeps very clean and balanced books.)

So I dont understand why Harry is talking about retaining his prize assets of Bale and Modric and investing in one or two or more key players. Levy always balances his books and he isnt going to change his ways right at the beginning of FFP.

But it is equally unlikely he will reduce the cost base down to a non-CL revenue level. If he did that it is highly doubtful Spurs would ever qualify for CL again. And if you are not going to qualify well you might as well sell Bale, Modric and half dozen other players as you will piss easily get 7th. So Levy will literally be sitting on a pile of cash. Effectively it would render the equity injections meaningless.

So the natural assumption is that Levy will maintain a higher cost base maybe buy a player or two, start generating operating losses which he will balance by starting to realize trading profits built into his prize assets. I think Harry is missing the point in that Levy will want the 'profits' not the 'cash' - Harry can have that and more.

I dont think Harry has quite come to terms with you lot failing to qualify for CL or he hasnt read your financial statements.

Your costs will rise 28% or 27m this year which is all well and good with CL but you will lose 30m of revenues next year. Last year costs rose just 2%. In the 6 months to December you had 18m of CL revenues and without those revenues you would have had a 14m loss. (A 14m loss is a drop in the ocean in football finance but Levy keeps very clean and balanced books.)

So I dont understand why Harry is talking about retaining his prize assets of Bale and Modric and investing in one or two or more key players. Levy always balances his books and he isnt going to change his ways right at the beginning of FFP.

But it is equally unlikely he will reduce the cost base down to a non-CL revenue level. If he did that it is highly doubtful Spurs would ever qualify for CL again. And if you are not going to qualify well you might as well sell Bale, Modric and half dozen other players as you will piss easily get 7th. So Levy will literally be sitting on a pile of cash. Effectively it would render the equity injections meaningless.

So the natural assumption is that Levy will maintain a higher cost base maybe buy a player or two, start generating operating losses which he will balance by starting to realize trading profits built into his prize assets. I think Harry is missing the point in that Levy will want the 'profits' not the 'cash' - Harry can have that and more.

:huh: My favourite poster is abrak. :lol:

Liverpool will no doubt be benefitting from the Osama factor......now they are all feeling good about themselves what's that worth in monetary terms? Difficult to quantify? Just sign a few world class players for £35m each don't you....think of the resale value....cobblers you think? Aye me too.

Liverpool will no doubt be benefitting from the Osama factor......now they are all feeling good about themselves what's that worth in monetary terms? Difficult to quantify? Just sign a few world class players for £35m each don't you....think of the resale value....cobblers you think? Aye me too.

I think they are going to be the best team in the whole world next season. Andy Carroll is world class...anyone can see that. They got moneyball, sabermetrics, Henry, stats all working in their favour all the time it seems ;).....i'm just so excited about them i'm going to piss myself.

Oh no, hold on a minute. They're just an average side who sold an injury prone player for loads of dosh to a cossack with too much money which allowed a French <deleted> to pay twice as much as they should for an unproven thug. And their football is pedestrian and very average. Oh yes and Suarez is really good and i wish we'd signed him.

Got to admire you Spurs fans for retaining a sense of humor with jokes about signing strikers. Especially as by far the most expensive mistake and biggest joke was Harry's total failure to sign one at all. Not paying for a striker cost you 30m!!

Still I hear Harry is sniffing around Joe Cole for 5m and someone in the know says he is a bit like Messi. So you guys might get lucky yet.

Got to admire you Spurs fans for retaining a sense of humor with jokes about signing strikers. Especially as by far the most expensive mistake and biggest joke was Harry's total failure to sign one at all. Not paying for a striker cost you 30m!!

Still I hear Harry is sniffing around Joe Cole for 5m and someone in the know says he is a bit like Messi. So you guys might get lucky yet.

You've already said you know nothing about football so i'll leave it. No, don't sulk only joking.

We are well aware that he probably cost us the CL spot due to not signing a striker. We've been saying it since January btw not just over the last few days like you. ;)

Its also well know at Tottenham that he and Levy have'nt been singing from the same songsheet for quite some time now and i can also tell you that Levy always wants a "sell on value" and lets face it theres chuff all with Cole. I also can't see him fitting in at Spurs and lets be serious for a moment....how the hell is he going to get in our first team if he can't get in yours. :D

Incidentally, i noticed you did'nt want to comment regarding the crap signings made by Rafa in response to a poster on the LFC thread Why is that? You guys seem to manage well enough talking about Roy, who is doing a fine job at WBA and enjoying the full support and backing of the fans. Amazing what can be done without a home lynch mob undermining you. What a sorry lot. :whistling:

I have edited btw the say for the record that i really hope Levy sells Van der Vaart. I'm sick of us being pulled out of shape to accomodate him.

Edited by carmine

For not signing Suarez in early January I'd like to take 'Arry aside and give him a proper wallop round the head.

Edit: sp

Aye - go on Smokie - gie 'im a glasgae kiss :rolleyes:

For not signing Suarez in early January I'd like to take 'Arry aside and give him a proper wallop round the head.

Edit: sp

Aye - go on Smokie - gie 'im a glasgae kiss :rolleyes:

Aren't they a protected item under EU law nowadays? Bit like Cornish pastings? If so I'll have to ask Jockstar for his assistance! B)

You've already said you know nothing about football so i'll leave it. No, don't sulk only joking.

I have edited btw the say for the record that i really hope Levy sells Van der Vaart. I'm sick of us being pulled out of shape to accomodate him.

I may not understand football but I do understand finance. And what you guys need to consider is that there are in fact two games for the CL.

1) You need to qualify in footballing terms as a football team.

2) You need to be at financial breakeven BEFORE for you qualify for the CL and are entitled to its extra revenues under FFP.

Oh and if you dont understand the prize. Consider that you just lost but you go at it again against Man City next year. Except this time they have 30m more revenue and you have 30m less revenue.

So Harry's strategy we will 'invest to get back in the CL' is not actually a strategy. Because if you have a CL cost base to qualify for the CL you dont qualify under FFP. Of course if you lower your cost base you wont qualify in footballing terms. So we have a puzzle.

Your squad is stated on the balance sheet with a book value of 116 pounds which is clearly much less than it is worth. Actually the accounts show a market value of 258m pounds but this has Bale at 18m and we all know that he is the greatest living EPL player (following his PFA award) and probably the eighth wonder of the world. Essentially you need to see that Levy has injected equity in squad purchases in order to build up unrealised gains and these are a 'modus operandi'.

If you truly dont understand what your club is doing financially it is a shame because you do not have the revenue streams of some clubs and you do not have the unlimited wealth of others. You have consistently shown yourselves to be smarter and you do have a viable strategy. And I promise you the off pitch battle for who is going to win is far more interesting than the on pitch battle.

So Van Der Vaart is not an ideal sale because you bought him last year for 8m and so his book value is 6m and say his actual value is 16m (absolutely no idea really) so his profit is just 10m. One way and another in order for you to get 'net transfer spend of say 20m' this year you probably need '30m of profit from trading of player sales'.

As for Bale, I hope you guys can see the other side. As I see it the second most over rated player in the EPL is Ashley Young which Liverpool amongst others want to buy. Now if the Aston Villa manager said he would not sell him because he was not for sale, you would be tempted to show him the door because the sale is such low risk. Well Bale... I am simply assuming he is not going to be appointed Pope. At the end of the day his terminal value is zero like everyone else.

I may not understand football but I do understand finance. And what you guys need to consider is that there are in fact two games for the CL.

1) You need to qualify in footballing terms as a football team.

2) You need to be at financial breakeven BEFORE for you qualify for the CL and are entitled to its extra revenues under FFP.

Oh and if you dont understand the prize. Consider that you just lost but you go at it again against Man City next year. Except this time they have 30m more revenue and you have 30m less revenue.

So Harry's strategy we will 'invest to get back in the CL' is not actually a strategy. Because if you have a CL cost base to qualify for the CL you dont qualify under FFP. Of course if you lower your cost base you wont qualify in footballing terms. So we have a puzzle.

Your squad is stated on the balance sheet with a book value of 116 pounds which is clearly much less than it is worth. Actually the accounts show a market value of 258m pounds but this has Bale at 18m and we all know that he is the greatest living EPL player (following his PFA award) and probably the eighth wonder of the world. Essentially you need to see that Levy has injected equity in squad purchases in order to build up unrealised gains and these are a 'modus operandi'.

If you truly dont understand what your club is doing financially it is a shame because you do not have the revenue streams of some clubs and you do not have the unlimited wealth of others. You have consistently shown yourselves to be smarter and you do have a viable strategy. And I promise you the off pitch battle for who is going to win is far more interesting than the on pitch battle.

So Van Der Vaart is not an ideal sale because you bought him last year for 8m and so his book value is 6m and say his actual value is 16m (absolutely no idea really) so his profit is just 10m. One way and another in order for you to get 'net transfer spend of say 20m' this year you probably need '30m of profit from trading of player sales'.

As for Bale, I hope you guys can see the other side. As I see it the second most over rated player in the EPL is Ashley Young which Liverpool amongst others want to buy. Now if the Aston Villa manager said he would not sell him because he was not for sale, you would be tempted to show him the door because the sale is such low risk. Well Bale... I am simply assuming he is not going to be appointed Pope. At the end of the day his terminal value is zero like everyone else.

Yeah thanks for that...................

Now can you respond to my earlier statement reagrding this load of baloney :o :

Spurs fans might like to know what impact playing in the Europa on Thursday had on Liverpool league form on the matches they played the following Sunday (the answer is none).

It's impossible to say 100% the impact a mid week game has on the following weekend game so where the answer "none" comes from i do not know ;).

Incidently looking at the results following a Europa Cup game they didn't seem very positive :o.

Edited by alfieconn

It's impossible to say 100% the impact a mid week game has on the following weekend game so where the answer "none" comes from i do not know ;).

Incidently looking at the results following a Europa Cup game they didn't seem very positive :o.

You are in fact '100%' correct to say 'it is impossible to say 100% the impact a mid week game has on the following weekend game'. I think a 5 year old knows this. Now given that we both know that it is 'impossible to say 100% the impact' you apparently are not interested in what the statistics imply the impact has been in the past because as you can quite rightly point out whatever happened in the past might not happen in the future because it is impossible to predict the future.

If you wish to state the bleeding obvious, I genuinely dont think it is clever to state it twice.

If you then wish to follow up your statement of the bleeding obvious by the implication of 'your thoughts' on one statistic and then, once again, you repeat the statement, please at least appreciate that while the bar for posting on the internet is not high, it should not be set below the ground.

If you wish to know what statistic I was refering to. During the current Europa, Liverpool played 9 matches on a Thursday followed by league matches on a Sunday. Out of a possible 27 points they took 15 in the league matches. During the season as a whole during the league, LFC has taken 55 out of a possible 105 league points. So during the current season there is no particular evidence that for Liverpool playing in the Europa had an impact on their league form.

Edited by Abrak

You are in fact '100%' correct to say 'it is impossible to say 100% the impact a mid week game has on the following weekend game'. I think a 5 year old knows this. Now given that we both know that it is 'impossible to say 100% the impact' you apparently are not interested in what the statistics imply the impact has been in the past because as you can quite rightly point out whatever happened in the past might not happen in the future because it is impossible to predict the future.

If you wish to state the bleeding obvious, I genuinely dont think it is clever to state it twice.

If you then wish to follow up your statement of the bleeding obvious by the implication of 'your thoughts' on one statistic and then, once again, you repeat the statement, please at least appreciate that while the bar for posting on the internet is not high, it should not be set below the ground.

If you wish to know what statistic I was refering to. During the current Europa, Liverpool played 9 matches on a Thursday followed by league matches on a Sunday. Out of a possible 27 points they took 15 in the league matches. During the season as a whole during the league, LFC has taken 55 out of a possible 105 league points. So during the current season there is no particular evidence that for Liverpool playing in the Europa had an impact on their league form.

There I was thinking the answer was "none".

That must have been the quick shareholders report.