Tottenham Thread

chonabot

Capt sacking him, smokey thats just not true, his results were terrible and the performances matched

I'm well aware you would argue black was white at times rij.....AVB did a good job in Portugal....so I say give the laddie a chance. That's all.

I'm not sure about this appointment either but at least get behind him.

So you stand by Avb he was sacked by the capt ? and yeah he won some trophies in portugal,and he may well interview well in private but he was A DISASTER at Chelsea on every front, why the fuc risk a v healthy position on someone that vv recently failed BIG style

but on the other hand the daily mail ?, http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2161772/Andre-Villas-Boas-holds-talks-Tottenham.html

IMO Its the Star in a middle class veneer, hardly a credible source, for me they are pure foder for the gullible and ignorant, all they are concerned with is filling space and that it's not libellous, IMO until a credible source 'rubber stamps' the story then it's not worth the paper it's written upon

Edited by rijit

Capt sacking him, smokey thats just not true, his results were terrible and the performances matched

I'm well aware you would argue black was white at times rij.....AVB did a good job in Portugal....so I say give the laddie a chance. That's all.

I'm not sure about this appointment either but at least get behind him.

So you stand by Avb he was sacked by the capt ? and yeah he won some trophies in portugal,and he may well interview well in private but he was A DISASTER at Chelsea on every front, why the fuc risk a v healthy position on someone that vv recently failed BIG style

but on the other hand the daily mail ?, http://www.dailymail...-Tottenham.html

IMO Its the Star in a middle class veneer, hardly a credible source, for me they are pure foder for the gullible and ignorant, all they are concerned with is filling space and that it's not libellous, IMO until a credible source 'rubber stamps' the story then it's not worth the paper it's written upon

When it is confirmed rij...I want to see you eating some proper humble pie. Give and take here remember. smile.png

Apart from some absolute illiterate idiot saying that he 's being appointed, have you found anything that even suggests he's going to be?

guardian.co.uk, Tuesday 19 June 2012 22.31 BST

André Villas-Boas is understood to be Tottenham's first choice to succeed Harry Redknapp as manager.

Tottenham Hotspur have held direct negotiations with André Villas-Boas and they are poised to offer him the manager's job. Tottenham officials met Villas‑Boas's agent in London last Friday and Saturday to explain what they were looking for in the successor to Harry Redknapp, who they sacked last Wednesday. But they have since accelerated the process by speaking directly to Villas-Boas.

The 34-year-old Portuguese, who was dismissed by Chelsea in March, was initially unsure whether he was the Tottenham chairman Daniel Levy's first choice for the vacancy. He felt that Levy had other candidates in mind, which was true, with Everton's David Moyes numbering among them. But it has become clear that Villas‑Boas is the man that Levy wants to lead Tottenham into a new era.

The sacking of Redknapp represented a gamble, as he had led the club to fourth-, fifth- and fourth-placed finishes in the Premier League in the past three seasons, only missing out on Champions League qualification last month when Chelsea beat Bayern Munich in the final of the competition.

Villas-Boas knows that Levy's minimum requirement is to qualify for Europe's elite tournament. The chairman also wants to be challenging for the league title in the near future. Redknapp often said he thought "there was a championship in this club". It is a demanding brief and the jury remains out in some quarters over Villas‑Boas. He has plenty to prove after his ill-fated Chelsea tenure, when he failed to impose his will on the squad's strong personalities. It hurt his reputation that, after his dismissal, the team recovered to win the Champions League and FA Cup under Roberto Di Matteo. But Levy has come to view Villas-Boas as the dynamic young coach to drive the club forward.

Villas-Boas and his representative have sought assurances about the future of Tottenham's best players, chief among them the midfielder Luka Modric, who has exited Euro 2012 with Croatia and is determined to be granted a big transfer this summer. Villas‑Boas tried to sign Modric when he was at Chelsea last summer, only for Levy to block the £40m proposal.

It is unclear whether Levy will be able to hold on to Modric for another season, although he is empowered to hold the player to his contract, which has four years to run. He is adamant he would not sell Modric to Chelsea or Manchester United but he may be more receptive to a bid from Real Madrid, particularly if the sum on offer was upwards of £40m.

Tottenham's new manager, though, will be granted a large transfer kitty to reshape the squad in his image, and it stands to be even larger if Modric were to leave. The priority area is centre-forward. The club are struggling to satisfy Emmanuel Adebayor's wage demands to make his loan move from Manchester City permanent; they have not taken up the option on Louis Saha. Jermain Defoe is the only established striker.

Levy is keen to find a more senior role within the set-up for Tim Sherwood, the youth development squad coach. Sherwood survived the cull of Redknapp's backroom staff, which accounted for Kevin Bond, Joe Jordan and Clive Allen, because Levy considers him to be an asset to the club.

Edited by Mobi

Apart from some absolute illiterate idiot saying that he 's being appointed, have you found anything that even suggests he's going to be?

guardian.co.uk, Tuesday 19 June 2012 22.31 BST

André Villas-Boas is understood to be Tottenham's first choice to succeed Harry Redknapp as manager.

Tottenham Hotspur have held direct negotiations with André Villas-Boas and they are poised to offer him the manager's job. Tottenham officials met Villas‑Boas's agent in London last Friday and Saturday to explain what they were looking for in the successor to Harry Redknapp, who they sacked last Wednesday. But they have since accelerated the process by speaking directly to Villas-Boas.

The 34-year-old Portuguese, who was dismissed by Chelsea in March, was initially unsure whether he was the Tottenham chairman Daniel Levy's first choice for the vacancy. He felt that Levy had other candidates in mind, which was true, with Everton's David Moyes numbering among them. But it has become clear that Villas‑Boas is the man that Levy wants to lead Tottenham into a new era.

The sacking of Redknapp represented a gamble, as he had led the club to fourth-, fifth- and fourth-placed finishes in the Premier League in the past three seasons, only missing out on Champions League qualification last month when Chelsea beat Bayern Munich in the final of the competition.

Villas-Boas knows that Levy's minimum requirement is to qualify for Europe's elite tournament. The chairman also wants to be challenging for the league title in the near future. Redknapp often said he thought "there was a championship in this club". It is a demanding brief and the jury remains out in some quarters over Villas‑Boas. He has plenty to prove after his ill-fated Chelsea tenure, when he failed to impose his will on the squad's strong personalities. It hurt his reputation that, after his dismissal, the team recovered to win the Champions League and FA Cup under Roberto Di Matteo. But Levy has come to view Villas-Boas as the dynamic young coach to drive the club forward.

Villas-Boas and his representative have sought assurances about the future of Tottenham's best players, chief among them the midfielder Luka Modric, who has exited Euro 2012 with Croatia and is determined to be granted a big transfer this summer. Villas‑Boas tried to sign Modric when he was at Chelsea last summer, only for Levy to block the £40m proposal.

It is unclear whether Levy will be able to hold on to Modric for another season, although he is empowered to hold the player to his contract, which has four years to run. He is adamant he would not sell Modric to Chelsea or Manchester United but he may be more receptive to a bid from Real Madrid, particularly if the sum on offer was upwards of £40m.

Tottenham's new manager, though, will be granted a large transfer kitty to reshape the squad in his image, and it stands to be even larger if Modric were to leave. The priority area is centre-forward. The club are struggling to satisfy Emmanuel Adebayor's wage demands to make his loan move from Manchester City permanent; they have not taken up the option on Louis Saha. Jermain Defoe is the only established striker.

Levy is keen to find a more senior role within the set-up for Tim Sherwood, the youth development squad coach. Sherwood survived the cull of Redknapp's backroom staff, which accounted for Kevin Bond, Joe Jordan and Clive Allen, because Levy considers him to be an asset to the club.

Now i'm really worried, my gut reaction is, if it happens it's a TERRIBLE appointment, lets hope i'm wrong.

Edited by rijit

The Guardian 21 June

André Villas-Boas is threatening to pull out of talks about replacing Harry Redknapp at Tottenham Hotspur after discovering the club are still speaking to other candidates at the same time as talking to him about the job.

Villas-Boas's information is also that Tottenham will sell Luka Modric to Real Madrid this summer and though that has not put him off the idea of returning to London, the former Chelsea manager is unhappy about what he perceives as mixed signals from White Hart Lane. In particular he is unimpressed the chairman, Daniel Levy, is still considering other options despite holding lengthy talks with him over the past week about taking over from the sacked Redknapp.

The Portuguese has complained to associates that "they are talking to 10 other coaches" and though that is clear exaggeration, it indicates how dismayed he is to learn that Levy has not identified him as the sole candidate.

Levy has had several discussions with Villas-Boas, as well as holding talks with the 34-year-old's representatives, but the headhunting process has also led Tottenham to explore the potential availability of the France manager, Laurent Blanc, as well as Roberto Martínez of Wigan Athletic and Ralf Rangnick, who stepped down as Schalke's coach last September.

Others may be on that list, including David Moyes of Everton, and Villas-Boas demonstrated during Liverpool's search for Kenny Dalglish's successor that he does not appreciate being one of many candidates. Officially, Liverpool's American owner ruled him out before appointing Brendan Rodgers but Villas-Boas had also said he was not interested after discovering he was not their first choice.

Villas-Boas is clearly not short of ego, despite his difficult and unsuccessful spell at Stamford Bridge, and his attitude is that a man who won the Portuguese league title, the domestic cup and the Europa League in his one full season with Porto should not be messed around – as if forgetting that his stint lasting eight and a half months at Chelsea was remarkable only for its bad results and his inability to win over key players.

He has talked of not being made to feel sufficiently wanted by Tottenham and though the situation can be repaired, he has indicated behind the scenes that if it continues he will remove himself from contention.

That puts pressure on Levy to accelerate the talks and, in essence, do more to massage Villas-Boas's bruised pride. Levy is determined to get this appointment right because he knows anything else but a Champions League finish would rebound badly on him next season given that Redknapp had led the club to two fourth-placed finishes and one in fifth in the past three seasons, only missing out on Champions League qualification last month when sixth-placed Chelsea beat Bayern Munich in the final.

Whether Villas-Boas is unhappy enough to go through with his threat remains to be seen, and the Modric situation is not a part of his thinking. The Portuguese, out of work since his sacking at Chelsea in March, is now convinced Modric will leave White Hart Lane. The 26-year-old Croatia international had asked for a transfer a year ago, acutely aware he could earn substantially more elsewhere when Spurs currently operate with a £70,000-a-week salary limit.

Tottenham rejected Chelsea's approaches at the time but Modric still wants to leave and Madrid's interest has been confirmed to Villas-Boas.

Manchester United are also long-term admirers but Modric's former Croatia team-mate Mate Bilic was quoted recently saying he expected the midfielder to move to the Bernabeu.

"I'm very good friends with Modric," said the Sporting Gijon striker. "He wants to play in the Spanish league. He loves the Premier League but he wants to play in Spain. He's very close to agreeing a move."

Vedran Corluka, Modric's team-mate for club and country, has also said during Euro 2012 that he expected the midfielder to go in search of Champions League football, having missed out on Chelsea's triumph last season.

Modric, 40 million squid plus, Mobi?

clap2.gif

I see the Spuds are off to a new season's flying start in the breathless excitement stakes already.

If they get 40 Million PLUS MOBI, it would be the deal of the century....

The Guardian 21 June

André Villas-Boas is threatening to pull out of talks about replacing Harry Redknapp at Tottenham Hotspur after discovering the club are still speaking to other candidates at the same time as talking to him about the job.

Villas-Boas's information is also that Tottenham will sell Luka Modric to Real Madrid this summer and though that has not put him off the idea of returning to London, the former Chelsea manager is unhappy about what he perceives as mixed signals from White Hart Lane. In particular he is unimpressed the chairman, Daniel Levy, is still considering other options despite holding lengthy talks with him over the past week about taking over from the sacked Redknapp.

The Portuguese has complained to associates that "they are talking to 10 other coaches" and though that is clear exaggeration, it indicates how dismayed he is to learn that Levy has not identified him as the sole candidate.

Levy has had several discussions with Villas-Boas, as well as holding talks with the 34-year-old's representatives, but the headhunting process has also led Tottenham to explore the potential availability of the France manager, Laurent Blanc, as well as Roberto Martínez of Wigan Athletic and Ralf Rangnick, who stepped down as Schalke's coach last September.

Others may be on that list, including David Moyes of Everton, and Villas-Boas demonstrated during Liverpool's search for Kenny Dalglish's successor that he does not appreciate being one of many candidates. Officially, Liverpool's American owner ruled him out before appointing Brendan Rodgers but Villas-Boas had also said he was not interested after discovering he was not their first choice.

Villas-Boas is clearly not short of ego, despite his difficult and unsuccessful spell at Stamford Bridge, and his attitude is that a man who won the Portuguese league title, the domestic cup and the Europa League in his one full season with Porto should not be messed around – as if forgetting that his stint lasting eight and a half months at Chelsea was remarkable only for its bad results and his inability to win over key players.

He has talked of not being made to feel sufficiently wanted by Tottenham and though the situation can be repaired, he has indicated behind the scenes that if it continues he will remove himself from contention.

That puts pressure on Levy to accelerate the talks and, in essence, do more to massage Villas-Boas's bruised pride. Levy is determined to get this appointment right because he knows anything else but a Champions League finish would rebound badly on him next season given that Redknapp had led the club to two fourth-placed finishes and one in fifth in the past three seasons, only missing out on Champions League qualification last month when sixth-placed Chelsea beat Bayern Munich in the final.

Whether Villas-Boas is unhappy enough to go through with his threat remains to be seen, and the Modric situation is not a part of his thinking. The Portuguese, out of work since his sacking at Chelsea in March, is now convinced Modric will leave White Hart Lane. The 26-year-old Croatia international had asked for a transfer a year ago, acutely aware he could earn substantially more elsewhere when Spurs currently operate with a £70,000-a-week salary limit.

Tottenham rejected Chelsea's approaches at the time but Modric still wants to leave and Madrid's interest has been confirmed to Villas-Boas.

Manchester United are also long-term admirers but Modric's former Croatia team-mate Mate Bilic was quoted recently saying he expected the midfielder to move to the Bernabeu.

"I'm very good friends with Modric," said the Sporting Gijon striker. "He wants to play in the Spanish league. He loves the Premier League but he wants to play in Spain. He's very close to agreeing a move."

Vedran Corluka, Modric's team-mate for club and country, has also said during Euro 2012 that he expected the midfielder to go in search of Champions League football, having missed out on Chelsea's triumph last season.

Its all bluster!!

He is the next Spurs manager, and everyone knows it!!

clap2.gif

I see the Spuds are off to a new season's flying start in the breathless excitement stakes already.

I thought that modric has performed wellI during the euros But 40 mill's a lot of money, achievable?, we might get it if we left Mobi out of it biggrin.png

It's a bad start losing your manager and potentially losing your star player heading into a new season. We need to get a manager sorted so wee can start looking to bring in some players. Are we still favourites to sign that Ajax centre half? Our top players are all being linked with moves so let's get things moving.

clap2.gif

I thought that modric has performed wellI during the euros But 40 mill's a lot of money, achievable?, we might get it if we left Mobi out of it biggrin.png

All you football geniuses will know better than me, but IMHO Modric played much better for his country than he has been playing for his club since his transfer request was rejected.

If we can get 30M ++ I still reckon it is a good deal. If they don't want Mobi, maybe I can conjure up some Mobi- babes. Plenty lounging around on my website....smile.png

clap2.gif

All you football geniuses will know better than me, but IMHO Modric played much better for his country than he has been playing for his club since his transfer request was rejected.

If we can get 30M ++ I still reckon it is a good deal. If they don't want Mobi, maybe I can conjure up some Mobi- babes. Plenty lounging around on my website....smile.png

Don't listen to rij Mobi...you have been off the sauce and in training for a good while now....I'm sure you can bring some of the old Gazza magic back to the midfield! smile.png

I just wonder whether VB could be a real liability. Judging by that Grauniad article it could be that the press have the knives out for him. While life should not be dictated by filthy hacks they do have a way of destroying people when they gang up on them. If he does have the big ego and the press take against that he could become a major distraction as manager

I just wonder whether VB could be a real liability. Judging by that Grauniad article it could be that the press have the knives out for him. While life should not be dictated by filthy hacks they do have a way of destroying people when they gang up on them. If he does have the big ego and the press take against that he could become a major distraction as manager

Yeah could well be, time will tell But on personal level. I can cope with the 'large ego' footballs full of them, always has been, and even the press, nasty as they can b, doesn't really bother me 2 much, fuc them!!!, sticks and stones pops to mind,,even my opinion that he's a prize prick,aka his interviews and the terrible way he handled the chelsea 'lads' culminating in lampards comment on five live , 'things are far from perfect' can be pushed to one side, but what i cant forget is how he turned worthy title contenders into almost mid table nothings and the inept and totally unsuitable formations that in turn led 2 poor results and TERRIBLE displays Then,almost as soon as he left, what happened,? they GOT HEAPS BETTER, I know its now turning into a rant, but why the fuc would levy or anyone even consider him for the job is beyond me.

Yeah could well be, time will tell But on personal level. I can cope with the 'large ego' footballs full of them, always has been, and even the press, nasty as they can b, doesn't really bother me 2 much, fuc them!!!, sticks and stones pops to mind,,even my opinion that he's a prize prick,aka his interviews and the terrible way he handled the chelsea 'lads' culminating in lampards comment on five live , 'things are far from perfect' can be pushed to one side, but what i cant forget is how he turned worthy title contenders into almost mid table nothings and the inept and totally unsuitable formations that in turn led 2 poor results and TERRIBLE displays Then,almost as soon as he left, what happened,? they GOT HEAPS BETTER, I know its now turning into a rant, but why the fuc would levy or anyone even consider him for the job is beyond me.

I see Lent is over then rij? :D

Several posts and replies have been deleted. Come on chaps, we normally play so nice together smile.png

I can't believe it...I've missed all the fun yet again!

Send me them by PM mrboj biggrin.png go on...purrrlease...tongue.png

14000 POSTS and you missed it, YEAH RIGHT!!!!!!!w00t.gif

Edited by rijit

Several posts and replies have been deleted. Come on chaps, we normally play so nice together smile.png

We don't have messages like that on here now do we?

Sort yourselves out.....you too rij.....stop drinking in the morning! ermm.gifbiggrin.png

Bleeding moderation on this, the greatest thread on the forum....where is Chon when ya need him! rolleyes.gif

Edited by smokie36

Saying that, will we be lucky to get another season out of 'dear Bradley'? there were several bit's written bout ari being interested in Green , but tbh didnt really see him as an improvement on gomes or any of our other goalkeeping disappointments, No one really springs to mind, I'm not totally stuck on the idea, but Robinson, from what i've seen, has improved somewhat since he left us, was injured for a big part of last season, i know he got relegated, but his personal form at the end of the season was, apparently v v good.

Edited by rijit

Saying that, will we be lucky to get another season out of 'dear Bradley'? there were several bit's written bout ari being interested in Green , but tbh didnt really see him as an improvement on gomes or any of our other goalkeeping disappointments, No one really springs to mind, I'm not totally stuck on the idea, but Robinson, from what i've seen, has improved somewhat since he left us, was injured for a big part of last season, i know he got relegated, but his personal form at the end of the season was, apparently v v good.

Keep up Rij, green has gone to QPR and Robinson ? you are having a laugh !