Tottenham Thread

chonabot

He also has had a fair few injuries at the start of his Tottenham career by constant fouling

so he has developed a self protecting way of jumping high over any oncoming tackles, this also prevents

him from staying on his feet and is perceived as diving.

Jump out of the way to prevent impact or stand your ground and get injured! It's a no win situation for him.

I remember Ronaldo having the same problem at Man Utd where SAF would always defend him by saying he's the most

fouled player in the league.

He also has had a fair few injuries at the start of his Tottenham career by constant fouling

so he has developed a self protecting way of jumping high over any oncoming tackles, this also prevents

him from staying on his feet and is perceived as diving.

Jump out of the way to prevent impact or stand your ground and get injured! It's a no win situation for him.

I remember Ronaldo having the same problem at Man Utd where SAF would always defend him by saying he's the most

fouled player in the league.

Thats a fair point sot's, lets hope between that, him getting a grip on the dramatics, the refs not letting a situation escalate where his reputation precede's just decisions, a balance can be made and we wont push him prematurely into leaving English footie.

great news this morning for the Spurs forum!

You will all be delighted to know that we do not infact only have two strikers. i have just been informed by the Arse thread that we do infact have five!!

So that settles thatbiggrin.png

You will all be delighted to know that we do not infact only have two strikers. i have just been informed by the Arse thread that we do infact have five!!

Its funny carms....they believe anyone who is not a defender is therefore a striker. Its to do with their midfielders all wanting to leave and young French boys in Paris on his holidays.

OK I made the last bit up...but I bet you all swallowed it.

Oops...bad choice of words! biggrin.png

Bit misleading there mjj. Some of those 9 that I count (not 10) were caretaker managers

2001 - David Pleat (caretaker)

2001 - Glenn Hoddle

2003 - David Pleat (caretaker)

2004 - Jacques Santini

2004 - Martin Jol

2007 - Clive Allen (caretaker)

2007 - Juande Ramos

2008 - Harry Redknapp

2012 Andre Villas Boas

Bit misleading there mjj. Some of those 9 that I count (not 10) were caretaker managers

2001 - Glenn Hoddle

2004 - Jacques Santini

2004 - Martin Jol

2007 - Juande Ramos

2008 - Harry Redknapp

2012 Andre Villas Boas

Poor old mjj, he's tries to have a pop and it all goes pear shaped, i hope he never does a pub quiz on football 112.gif

2001 - Glenn Hoddle

2004 - Jacques Santini

2004 - Martin Jol

2007 - Juande Ramos

2008 - Harry Redknapp

2012 Andre Villas Boas

George Graham was manager in 2000. If we minus the 3 because they were caretakers (aren't all chelsea managers) we are left with 7. Of Chelsea's 9, one of them wasn't sacked. Hiddink was only ever going to stay until the end of the season.

So that leaves it 7 vs 8 in spurs favour...........not really good enough for bragging rights is it??

2001 - Glenn Hoddle

2004 - Jacques Santini

2004 - Martin Jol

2007 - Juande Ramos

2008 - Harry Redknapp

2012 Andre Villas Boas

Poor old mjj, he's tries to have a pop and it all goes pear shaped, i hope he never does a pub quiz on football 112.gif

Who you calling old? I don't go to the pub either. :-)

2001 - Glenn Hoddle

2004 - Jacques Santini

2004 - Martin Jol

2007 - Juande Ramos

2008 - Harry Redknapp

2012 Andre Villas Boas

George Graham was manager in 2000. If we minus the 3 because they were caretakers (aren't all chelsea managers) we are left with 7. Of Chelsea's 9, one of them wasn't sacked. Hiddink was only ever going to stay until the end of the season.

So that leaves it 7 vs 8 in spurs favour...........not really good enough for bragging rights is it??

But then your not taking into account that people were shown the door after mid season blips the season after winning major trophies, not the same as Santini and Ramos is it? C- Please try harder laugh.png

What was Harry then? Takes you into top 4, at Christmas you were probably the best team in the prem and posing a real title threat (how far do you have to go back for that) yet you sack him! Haha.

Yes correct, but from January to April we were rubbish, some of his tactical substitutions were abysmal! Even near the end of the season we still had a chance of overtaking Arsenal as they had dropped points on the saturday, we were 1-0 down and he was just about to bring on Defoe when we get a penalty and score.

So what does Harry do? Thats right, tells Defoe to sit down and brings on Parker, who is fantastic but is unlikely to get you a goal. So instead of kicking on and trying to get the win, we settle for a draw.

Harry did a great job, but as stated before he didn't bring a major trophy (which was the main point of my previous post). Personally i would have stuck with him, but Levy in his wisdom didn't.

Not the same as Mourinho, Ancelotti, and RDM whistling.gif

All in all a Comfortable enough win although the Greeks second half began 2 press us.. Naughton continues to concern at left bac, however 'that' defence could do with some work.they dont play well enuf as a unit and could well come badly unstuck against better teams. Lets hope lennons hamstrings hold up as he's in fine form and Dempsey improves with every game.

Edited by rijit

All in all a Comfortable enough win although the Greeks second half began 2 press us.. Naughton continues to concern at left bac, however 'that' defence could do with some work.they dont play well enuf as a unit and could well come badly unstuck against better teams. Lets hope lennons hamstrings hold up as he's in fine form and Dempsey improves with every game.

agree 100%,dempsey is starting to warm up

What was Harry then? Takes you into top 4, at Christmas you were probably the best team in the prem and posing a real title threat (how far do you have to go back for that) yet you sack him! Haha.

MJJ stop demonstrating your total lack in the understanding of the Redknapp situation. Zonal marking anyone! wink.png

Yes correct, but from January to April we were rubbish, some of his tactical substitutions were abysmal! Even near the end of the season we still had a chance of overtaking Arsenal as they had dropped points on the saturday, we were 1-0 down and he was just about to bring on Defoe when we get a penalty and score.

So what does Harry do? Thats right, tells Defoe to sit down and brings on Parker, who is fantastic but is unlikely to get you a goal. So instead of kicking on and trying to get the win, we settle for a draw.

Harry did a great job, but as stated before he didn't bring a major trophy (which was the main point of my previous post). Personally i would have stuck with him, but Levy in his wisdom didn't.

Not the same as Mourinho, Ancelotti, and RDM whistling.gif

You're quite right mate but don't bother, he's a chelsea fan. By definition only watching football in the last few years and relatively clueless about the sport, loves "JT" and thinks 4-2-3-1 is a new tv gameshow

Edited by carmine
  • Like 1

Unfortunatley i was unable to see the game due to a three day power blackout! However, i am reading of mostly positives from the game. Walker has obviously re found his form of last season, as is Dempsey supposedly which is great since were thin off the ground upfront.

Parker back hopefully at the weekend and BAE not far off either. I think i'd crather stick to a left side of BAE or Vertoghen and a right side backed up by Naughton if all were fit. Baring in mind Caulker appeard to be struggling a little put Vertoghen in the center when BAE is back fit.

What i realy want to see is Sandro and Parker pairing up with Dembelefurther forward. We don't know if it'll work but it has to be worth a try.

Massive game on sunday which is winnable

Unfortunatley i was unable to see the game due to a three day power blackout! However, i am reading of mostly positives from the game. Walker has obviously re found his form of last season, as is Dempsey supposedly which is great since were thin off the ground upfront.

Parker back hopefully at the weekend and BAE not far off either. I think i'd crather stick to a left side of BAE or Vertoghen and a right side backed up by Naughton if all were fit. Baring in mind Caulker appeard to be struggling a little put Vertoghen in the center when BAE is back fit.

What i realy want to see is Sandro and Parker pairing up with Dembelefurther forward. We don't know if it'll work but it has to be worth a try.

To go to Everton and win, especially when you have had a European game 3 days before, is very very difficult, and in my opinion very unlikely.

I think to get a draw there in the circumstances, minus Bale, would be a great result. I see a close game with Everton nicking it.

Should Spurs go and win, then I would sit up and take notice, and say you would be favs for at least 3rd.

To go to Everton and win, especially when you have had a European game 3 days before, is very very difficult, and in my opinion very unlikely.

I think to get a draw there in the circumstances, minus Bale, would be a great result. I see a close game with Everton nicking it.

Should Spurs go and win, then I would sit up and take notice, and say you would be favs for at least 3rd.

Well in that case slack fanny, stay clued to your tv because i have a gut feeling about this one. We might even have Parker back and Moyes won't have a clue how we will set up. neither will Spurs fans for that matter.

Remeber i also have you down to win the manc derby 7-2! biggrin.png

It was Carmine (or some Spud) who said that Arsenal have loads of strikers, so why should he have to buy more. I said we really only had two out and out strikers and if you were to include people like Arshavin, Gervinho, Walcott and Podolski as strikers you might as well say that Tottenham's Dembele, Dempsey, Bale at al were also strikers. Carmine said then why does Arsenal list people like Gervinho as strikers? A point I had already acknowledged in my original post as being at odds with my assessment.

Seemed pretty non-controversial stuff to me. Shock horror - maybe you should apply for a Snaily Mail journo job Carmine biggrin.png.

Let's just agree that both Arsenal and Spurs need a back-up (or possibly first choice) central traditional number 9 front man striker to increase squad depth.

Edited by SantiSuk

It was Carmine (or some Spud) who said that Arsenal have loads of strikers, so why should he have to buy more. I said we really only had two out and out strikers and if you were to include people like Arshavin, Gervinho, Walcott and Podolski as strikers you might as well say that Tottenham's Dembele, Dempsey, Bale at al were also strikers. Carmine said then why does Arsenal list people like Gervinho as strikers? A point I had already acknowledged in my original post as being at odds with my assessment.

Seemed pretty non-controversial stuff to me. Shock horror - maybe you should apply for a Snaily Mail journo job Carmine biggrin.png.

Let's just agree that both Arsenal and Spurs need a back-up (or possibly first choice) central traditional number 9 front man striker to increase squad depth.

Well said Santi and any more lip from him .....we will turn his power off again tongue.png

Well said Santi and any more lip from him .....we will turn his power off again tongue.png

You have no idea pal! Its been murder down here.....an absolute laughing stock i'd imagine.

Missed the europa game last night aswell which was a chocker. And Santi's still talking <deleted> btw...

No lets agree that you have four already and are using it as an excuse because you are playing like a pub team and we have only two strikers but are getting on with it and above you in the table.wai.gif

In the sticks we have it on a regular basis so i suppose you get accustomed to it more,still galls you though .......Santi should be donning his costume about this time of year shouldn't he? biggrin.png

Big plus for Dempsey.....Adebayor had a decent game....also good to see Carroll continue to get games, now he will get a few more, also a run in the FA cup too I imagine.

Good result although Naughton was sleeping for their goal....and had a very average game overall.

When is BAE back from injury?

Tough game on Sunday.....Everton are in form right now so we will have to be sharper at the back.

Will await a match report on that one please....wai2.gif

To be honest carms, the scoreline is a little flattering for us, 1st half they sat back and tried to catch us on the break,

we played mostly in their half and managed to get the lead, so all was looking rosy at half time.

Second half , the greeks came out and bossed the game by pressing us and overran our midfield, hence getting the equaliser.

That boosted their confidence and we looked really nervous and so did the crowd until we managed to score the second,

but up until that point they looked the likely to score.

Our second goa,l from a set piece, was a little lucky and came at the time when AVB was about to make changes

taking off Caroll for Dembele to try and get back control of the game.

After that we looked more comfortable for the last 15mins and managed to get the third goal, but the opening 30mins of the

second half it could have gone either way.

Be interesting to see what formation AVB uses on Sunday, 2 strikers or one? Adebayor played much better than Defoe

yesterday, but they both scored, so it's a tough decision.