Tottenham Thread

chonabot

1 hour ago, 3 minus 2 said:

put yourself in a foreign  footballers place  he's out of his country for 3 ,, maybe 5 years   and then most will return home  so he'll /you'll have a constant  eye on flicking money bac to your home currency ,, and if the pound is unstable and  drops again  as it has done for eg by 20 25 %  against the baht,  it WILL go down again,   simple economics alfie  so to avoid that players WILL/are lookin to be paid in euros or their home currency , more  even by a brexiteers mass stupidity  its simple alfie, and as poch says brexit its having an effect and in its current model not in a good way for the prem..  

that sounds just plainly ignorant of the actual issue so enlighten us  how that works then alfie? 

"That sounds just plainly ignorant" but you don't know how it work's ?the Financial genius that doesn't know how a Forward Contract work's.

he'll  be able to buy less of his currency,, so effectively 'a wage cut'

so when not if the £ drops it will cost the clubs that much

Do you not realize that big companies or even big earners use financial instruments that cover them against currency  movement's, your being naive if you think that they haven't covered themselves for any movements with Sterling, all the top footballers have their own Banking Manager's that will advise them of what to do with their money.

Edited by alfieconn

5 hours ago, alfieconn said:

But that isn't  a drop in wages ?

You said

players will take a drop in wages or the clubs pay out more to compensate for the brexit effecf on the pound ? 

which is incorrect as de-valuing of the pound will not affect anyone's wages !

Well he can buy a Forward Contract for 3 yrs time, then he is covered isn't he ? there you go problem solved ?

My apologies.. a rant ...  a forward contract would help.. however it still aint a plus to dealin...  pisspoor unstable pound cos of brexit will still be an issue

Brexit pfffh if Brexit was such a factor in signings how come there are not more clubs singing this and not signing nowt?

Danny rose is gonna be coming out of mute mode and bashing the lack of new additions any moment. And just like the wages being abysmal before, he would be right, again.

8 hours ago, Rc2702 said:

Brexit pfffh if Brexit was such a factor in signings how come there are not more clubs singing this and not signing nowt?

Danny rose is gonna be coming out of mute mode and bashing the lack of new additions any moment. And just like the wages being abysmal before, he would be right, again.

Yup, its done really well for him hasn't it....lost his starting place and now can't get it back, basically because Davies is starting on merit.  Oh yes and he might well be off on loan too soon.  Well done Danny, everyones having big increases in their wages except him!!!  And he won't say anything either, he's still groveling to Pochettino after his first ill advised tabloid outburst.

Its painfully obvious Poch wants rid of him and the sooner the better.

11 hours ago, RonniePickering22 said:

Up or down...that's the nature of currency and I doubt many players on 150k a week give a monkeys.

No, a player abroad on 50 grand is going to turn it down cos the money he can then send home is down because of Brexit !

• Haha 1

51 minutes ago, RonniePickering22 said:

I'm expecting three across the back mostly today with Trippier really pushing forard as much as he can.

Hopefully Eriksen has returned fresh and raring to go as well.

He'll quite likely not start with the world cup lads

7 minutes ago, RonniePickering22 said:

He can start with the U16 team for all I care I am just raring to see some football again.

well i'm afraid you are going to see Sissoko, although it stands to reason and by the law of averages he has to have one great game with us so maybe its going to be against his old club....but who am i kidding!

I'd rather see Oliver Skipp in midfield

Edited by carmine

3 hours ago, carmine said:

well i'm afraid you are going to see Sissoko, although it stands to reason and by the law of averages he has to have one great game with us so maybe its going to be against his old club....but who am i kidding!

I'd rather see Oliver Skipp in midfield

Sissoko needs to be moved on....even if its for a fraction of what we paid for him.

Oliver Skipp has done well in per season so perhaps give him the first half then bring on Dembele.

38 minutes ago, RonniePickering22 said:

Always tough at St James Park and today no different.

We were fortunate to escape with three points and a cracking cross from Aurier and header by Alli.

Great start!

Spurs were a weary looking side in the second period. But three points away to Newcastle always reason to celebrate, eh Ronnie ?

• Like 1

3 points is 3 points but I was not impressed with Spurs - I don’t see how some pundits have them down for a top 3 place. 

Early days but if Ali, Kane and (to a lesser extent) Dier can’t be rejuvenated then they will struggle to make top 5. 

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Jip99 said:

3 points is 3 points but I was not impressed with Spurs - I don’t see how some pundits have them down for a top 3 place. 

Early days but if Ali, Kane and (to a lesser extent) Dier can’t be rejuvenated then they will struggle to make top 5. 

Half the starting line up had less than a week of pre season training so not surprising they look tired.

You really have to hope this is taken into account and the World Cup players left out of the Sept friendlies.

10 minutes ago, RonniePickering22 said:

Half the starting line up had less than a week of pre season training so not surprising they look tired.

You really have to hope this is taken into account and the World Cup players left out of the Sept friendlies.

I hope you are right because I really enjoyed watching them last year.

Really pleased with the three points.  Newcastle probably deserved something out of it but its not our fault they wasted opportunities, and the  result was a big three points.

I like Poch's substitutions, i thought correct changes and the right timing, somethings he's been at fault numerous times before.

Fantastic to see Luke Amos getting a run.  This is another academy player with real quality.  I can also see Amos, Skipp, Carter-Vickers, Walker-Peters and a lot more from Harry Winks this season and its great to see.  It might also be time for Sterling too as i can't see Llorente doing much, unless its snowing!!

As far as the game went, i thought Dele looked sharp in particular, Kane worked with not enough service.  Serge Aurier looked suspect as per usual and just when you are giving up on him he puts a world class cross for Dele to score.  However if i were the coach of an opposing team i'd target him.

What we desperately need is the return of the beast, Wanyama.  He's a better defensive mid than Dier and with him and Dembele fit is the strongest pivot in the league for my money.  I believe he would have broken them uo more and given us more midfield control at the tempo we like.

I thought the Newcastle goal was a soft one to give away and although Sanchez had an excellent game he was at fault for ball watching and leaving his right side open.  But, at 21yo he'll learn and is doing so fast

All in all a terrific win to kick off the season and Newcastle are never easy to beat being managed by someone as tactically shrewd as Benitez.  These type of codes maximize their strengths and if my memory serves me right they beat United and Chelsea as St James' last season fielding pretty much the same side as yesterday so yes, i'm very pleased

Edited by carmine
  • Like 2

Great to see Poch waiting on the touchline to see every player off the pitch then straight over to the away support.

He really is one of the best man managers i've seen and i hear the players find him inspirational , to which i'm not surprised.  But just don't cross,  like little Danny Rose or your playing standards might drop and you end up second choice and on the first plane out when the right offer comes in.

I remember Winks and Dembele in midfield last November against Madrid and that's what I want to see....just totally bossed that midfield and allowed nothing through fo the first 70 mins of the game.

Winks is due back in Sept if all goes well.

1 hour ago, carmine said:

It is quite possible that we have the worst kit this season since the start of the premier league.  And as far as the 3rd kit....what on earth were they thinking!!

I'm glad you said it. I was going to but thought I might get seized on. When I saw it I really didn't like it but I don't think it's been the worst. Everton and Newcastle have had worse

9 minutes ago, mrbojangles said:

I'm glad you said it. I was going to but thought I might get seized on. When I saw it I really didn't like it but I don't think it's been the worst. Everton and Newcastle have had worse

Or the Arsenal away shirt a few years ago that was designed along the lines of yellow puke.

6 minutes ago, carmine said:

Or the Arsenal away shirt a few years ago that was designed along the lines of yellow puke.

Yeah, that was minging as well. I think every team has had at least one shirt where you wonder how the designer ever kept their job

1 hour ago, carmine said:

It is quite possible that we have the worst kit this season since the start of the premier league.  And as far as the 3rd kit....what on earth were they thinking!!

Bring back Under Armour...it really is the worst I can remember.