Doubts emerge over Time report on Thai police harassment

webfact

How many of you actually took the time to engage and read Neubauer's full article and the full Coconuts article? Precious few I'd guess from the comments. Neubauer and the TVP's accounts of the event seeming only diverge regarding location, whether he added 'not my signature' to his signature and whether or not 'tea money' was requested. If he thinks what he described occurred to him is 'harassment' then he has obviously never experienced true police harassment. Apart from his personal, subjective, experience the bulk of his 'article' in Time is a cut and paste rehash of others work.

• Like 1

always 2 sides to a story, if they differ, 1 must be incorrect, who to believe is the 6 million dollar question

yes, one side is renowned to play fast and loose with the truth to make sure the facts fit the "story"..

the other is a reporter

OK... so... Reporters never make up stories ? Reporters never arrange facts so that they fit with their theory ? Reporters never use their Press status to make the police release them in a hurry when they've been caught red-handed doing something wrong ?

I have no particular sympathy with the Thai police (or any other police for that matter) but I'm somewhat impressed to see how most posters here side massively with the journalist, as if that corporation was never at fault. Just explore your memories, my friends, and think of an event you witnessed first hand, and then read about in the papers. How impressed were you with the accuracy of the report ?

My actual impression (and yes, I may be totally wrong) on this one is that :

1/ a Times reporter was caught by the Thai police with his finger in something dirty,

2/ he witnessed some uncalled for brutality by the RTP, possibly against himself as well

3/ he didn't get into any deeper trouble because he made it clear who he was

4/ he then proceeded to cook up a vengeful article in which he largely arranged the facts to give the worst possible image of the Thai cops

5/ as the saying goes 'vengeance is a bad counsellor' because his article is now backlashing in his face.

I repeat, I may be totally wrong, but I strongly believe in this hypothesis, and frankly I don't have much more confidence in journalists than in cops, anywhere in the world, when it comes to tampering with the truth.

Edited by Yann55
  • Like 1

always 2 sides to a story, if they differ, 1 must be incorrect, who to believe is the 6 million dollar question

yes, one side is renowned to play fast and loose with the truth to make sure the facts fit the "story"..

the other is a reporter

OK... so... Reporters never make up stories ? Reporters never arrange facts so that they fit with their theory ? Reporters never use their Press status to make the police release them in a hurry when they've been caught red-handed doing something wrong ?

I have no particular sympathy with the Thai police (or any other police for that matter) but I'm somewhat impressed to see how most posters here side massively with the journalist, as if that corporation was never at fault. Just explore your memories, my friends, and think of an event you witnessed first hand, and then read about in the papers. How impressed were you with the accuracy of the report ?

1/ a Times reporter was caught by the Thai police with his finger in something dirty,

2/ he witnessed some uncalled for brutality by the RTP, possibly against himself as well

4/ he then proceeded to cook up a vengeful article in which he largely arranged the facts to give the worst possible image of the Thai cops

5/ as the saying goes 'vengeance is a bad counsellor' because his article is now backlashing in his face.

I repeat, I may be totally wrong, but I strongly believe in this hypothesis, and frankly I don't have much more confidence in journalists than in cops, anywhere in the world, when it comes to tampering with the truth.

my post was satirical

great rebuff though :D

Edited by ColdSingha
  • Like 1

Sounds like someone trying to cover the cost of (and a tax deduction) for their Christmas holiday trip to Thailand.

I know that if I was detained in a lockup for four hours I'd definitely remember the name of the police station.

I'm probably also likely to remember the name of the street I was on. There's a huge difference between Silom and the back streets of Sathorn, especially down where Wongs is. Soi Sribamphen Rama 4 is about 3 meters wide. Could hardly be confused with Silom.

Not exactly on the tourist route either. Perhaps the alleged reputation of the bar was the reason he was their and just picked the wrong night to go on a supply run.

Either way, that Time or Neubauer haven't responded to inquiries by Coconuts or on Twitter doesn't instill confidence in the voracity of the claims.

In any event, it's nothing like the tourist shake-downs that were reported in Thonglor Police District's area - which had already been reported stopped around the middle of December.

Perhaps the "innocent provincial girl forced to work as a Bangkok bar girl by evil people traffickers" or "post-middle aged, pot bellied, bald old men with almost naked girls young enough to be his grand daughter", or "young children forced into a red-light district frequented by predatory sexpats to sell flowers late into the night" type stories are a bit old hat these days.

In this instance I'm believing the Coconuts story.

• Like 2

This Time Journo thought he was smart enough to pull a scam on his editor the magazine, Time readers and the police all at the same time. The story was true to some extent but being a high journo he made a few colorful small changes thinking that everyone would be fooled by him, he has probably done this hundreds of times telling stories to make money to feed his habits. I dont read Time I read TV and it is not so easy to fool TV readers these days with all the evidences provided nicely.

Edited by Dumu Ali

the other is a reporter

my post was satirical

great rebuff though biggrin.png

eeeeeek, I feel all red in the face, Coldsingha, for totally missing the fact that your comment was indeed ironical, and it turns out we were in total agreement on the subject. Pray excuse me for this mistake, and accept my apologies. I'm quite often appalled at how irony is easily missed on this Forum, even when it's blatant, and now I'm the one who missed it ! I'll eat the humble pie and you can drink your cold Singha, cheers ! biggrin.png

Edited by Yann55
  • Like 2