Internet Speed ( Or Lack Of! ) in Chiang Mai

PostmanPat

I know this is a frequently aired subject, and am posting in the Chiang Mai Forum rather than the IT Forum to see if this is a problem only for me or across the City.

I have fibre optic TOT service, and pay 1100 baht a month, and live in a Moo Bahn near Hang Dong. For the past couple of weeks I have been monitoring my internet speed and the same pattern emerges nearly every day. In the mornings, speed is almost non existent, example today, less than 1 mbps right now at 11am. Later in the day, it picks up fine, and by late afternoon/ early evening it is usually up to an acceptable speed, 15 to 20 mbps.

TOT so called help desk cant or wont give me any answer. They either know the answer but wont tell, or else they are living in the dark, not sure which. I ve read all the explanations about pipe sizes and numbers of users fluctuating with mornings particularly busy etc etc etc.....but can anyone at all throw any light on this, or is everybody suffering the same as me?!

OK, its not the end of the world, I can still check emails etc and read the news even with the low morning speeds, but it would be nice to have a regular speed all day or is this cloud cuckoo land?

Any thoughts/ experiences welcomed!!!

Internet speed in CM.

Makes me want to scream in agony.

Last April when I returned from my trip by the sea, my connection speed on 3BB was all but perfect/

It then deteoriated over the year so much so that I started to use my condo Wi Fi which most days performs better.

ASDL is a curse but all I can afford,

john

Okay for me. Is the slow speed you are getting from International sites, or within Thailand?

attachicon.gifCapture.JPG

My speed test at approx 10am the last few days has registered at around 1mbps....thats the overall speed, obviously not differentiating between overseas and local.

Later in the day, it speeds up to 15 or more and is perfectly fine, but why this extreme slowness in the morning is what I am trying to establish!

Apologies first. Related possible not not directly on topic. I too have had recent increase in 3BBB dropped wifi connections necessitating rebooting the roter 3 or 4 times a day.

A possible related issue concerns U.S. Citizens. I have been unable to sign on to either the Social Security or Medicare website. Anyone else finding they are blocked from signing on? Webpage sometimes loads, sometimes the computer says the server is not responding.

Okay for me. Is the slow speed you are getting from International sites, or within Thailand?

attachicon.gifCapture.JPG

My speed test at approx 10am the last few days has registered at around 1mbps....thats the overall speed, obviously not differentiating between overseas and local.

Later in the day, it speeds up to 15 or more and is perfectly fine, but why this extreme slowness in the morning is what I am trying to establish!

But you do need to differentiate a speed test between yourself and an overseas server and a local server.

Tests to overseas are impacted by a multitude of bottle-necks.

In the picture above, the speed is tested to Bangkok.

By default, some speed-tests select the best server based on 'ping'.... nearest or Bangkok mostly.

So you are only getting 1mbps testing to say Bangkok? I must admit mine slows down at about 9am-10am and I always put it down to businesses using it and getting priority.

Edited by jacko45k

I've been having those "slow-downs" all the time (sometimes below 1mbps) and calling TOT sometime helps,but most of the time they are not helpful...blaming my computer,than they will send the technician...but if someone ever shows up,the speed will up anyway...

...the funny think is,they try always ask me if the connection to BKK is good...so I want to ask,is the connection to BKK called ''Internet''...or ''Thai-net''...?!! :)

What can we expect ,when the providers keep increasing the MB's

promised,in these promotions,then they do not buy enough international

bandwidth ,to provide anything near what they promised,but I suppose

they are covered legally ,by saying "up to".

I was tempted by one of these promotions,for a little more p.m. i could

get 25/3 MBs, with TOT fiber2U, sure, with the speed test i am getting

these numbers to BKK, but the strange thing is streaming from ilikeHD

is no better or maybe not as good,as when i just had 10/1 MBs,ADSL.

as their severs are in BKK it should be flying.every evening about 7,

down the speed goes on International connections. the first thing TOT

says when you phone them is,"unplug your router and plug it back

again in 10 mins."

regards Worgeordie

Edited by worgeordie
  • Like 1

Thanks, everyone for helpful responses. It certainly sounds like this problem of minimal megabites in the morning, followed by speeding up later in the day is something widely experienced here, I am not the only one!

What is very curious is that if indeed its down to over usage in the mornings from businesses etc, why does it go down to very low even before most businesses have even opened....or is it all the kids playing online games before they toddle off to school......who knows, if TOT know they certainly arent telling !!!

3BB have been perfect for me in Chiang Mai.

I pay for 13mbit and 99% of the time get the stated speed or better. I can regular achieve download speeds of 1.5-2mb/sec.

I've heard the lower priced package has throttling on international sites during peak hours. I've not experienced this but I'm on the higher package.

The place I used to stay had communal TOT fibre optic and it was terribly inconsistent and regularly dropped out. No such complaints with 3BB.

My first 'blip' with them came the other week when I noticed my speed had decreased to 2mbit. Once they'd be phoned and alerted to the problem it was fixed on their end within about 2 hours with no engineer required.

3BB have been perfect for me in Chiang Mai.

I pay for 13mbit and 99% of the time get the stated speed or better. I can regular achieve download speeds of 1.5-2mb/sec.

How is that 'perfect' ??

Either your happy getting a small fraction of your speed or you meant your 13Mbps is giving 1.5 - 2 MB/s.. Given 13Mbps is about 1.63MB/s I highly doubt your getting 2..

1.5-2 MB/Sec. Megabytes per second. So that's what he's paying for. What's the issue?

The issue is mb/s and MB/s are not the same by a factor of 8..

If hes using 13mbit in one hand and 1.5 - 2 mb/s in the other then its not near full potential..

1.5-2 MB/Sec. Megabytes per second. So that's what he's paying for. What's the issue?

The issue is mb/s and MB/s are not the same by a factor of 8..

If hes using 13mbit in one hand and 1.5 - 2 mb/s in the other then its not near full potential..

If we're going to be pedantic about it it's actually MB vs. Mb.

But in all honestly I think it's pretty obvious what I was saying.

For your convenience: a 13 megabit line delivers me download speeds of 1.5-2.0 megabytes/second.

I hope we can now settle this matter and you are able to find some peace.

Noticeable drop off in Internet web site session reliability last few weeks with 3BB. The ADSL line itself has been rock solid, and non-HTTP traffic has been good, so it is definitely related to some kind of web traffic filtering/shaping and/or contention/congestion.

NG