European tourist assaulted in Bangkok 'old city'

webfact

Here is a bit of local culture for you!

The nerve, refusing to buy overpriced flowers despite being hassled.

Strange story this, perhaps she was rude to them, but it doesn't matter really does it.

How many times have I had my shoulder tapped or my way blocked by these desperate hawkers... too many.

There's probably more to this story.

She probably insulted some Thais , maybe gave them the finger or something , that's all it takes to trigger Thais to try to kill you.

GyP4ZeN.jpg

Bystanders tend to the victim.

Khaosod Thai said the gang were flower sellers and the incident took place outside the UNICEF building in Phra Athit Rd. She had a 5cm gash on her head and was taken to nearby Mission Hospital requiring 10 stitches.

Witnesses said the two men drove up on a motorcycle, then the pillion passenger got off and threw the bottle at her. They made their escape by bike towards Sanaam Luang

Police speculated they may be flower sellers from one of the shrines around Sanaam Luang [the Lak Meaung shrine?] who were angry she hadn't bought any flowers from them. [Don't know how they know this. Maybe she told them she had had an altercation with some flower sellers prior to the incident?].

Police are checking CCTV footage around the area to try and identify them.

They really hate us here you know! Just more proof.

I have the proof.....nobody hates me here for the 8 years that i have been living in Thailand.

There always be thugs around that this doesn't mean you can speak about all Thais hating foreigners.

I hate you, so thats at least one

I have the proof.....nobody hates me here for the 8 years that i have been living in Thailand.

There always be thugs around that this doesn't mean you can speak about all Thais hating foreigners.

Agree with Costas: in the 25 years I permanently lived in Thailand, I never ran into trouble with any Thai, be it in tourist areas or border areas east or west, north or south or central Tailand. Speaking fluent Thai does help, but then again, I didn't speak Thai at all when I arrived here. I believe attitude is of essence here: once when pulled over by police for lane hogging, I told them in Thai that I really wasn't lucky. When asked why, I answered that my wife would question me to what happened to my money, suspecting that i spent it in a massage parlor (all this with a polite smile of course). The police cracked up laughing and sent me on my way without a ticket. After all these years I still love to live in Thailand.

• Like 2

Medical workers say she is "European" but did not specify her nationality, citing privacy protocols.

the incident took place outside the UNICEF building in Phra Athit Rd.

its becoming clearer now. shes not a tourist but a resident who belongs to the most despised grouping on the planet. she was well known to her attackers. and they probably had good reason to attack her.

that said all these marauding thai youth have absolutely no fear on any consequences, why is that?

Medical workers say she is "European" but did not specify her nationality, citing privacy protocols.

the incident took place outside the UNICEF building in Phra Athit Rd.

its becoming clearer now. shes not a tourist but a resident who belongs to the most despised grouping on the planet. she was well known to her attackers. and they probably had good reason to attack her.

that said all these marauding thai youth have absolutely no fear on any consequences, why is that?

Good question, whether it's driving like a maniac in the traffic and kill someone , street fights or shooting someone with a gun , it seems they do not fear the consequences. If they end up in prison , mai pen rai.

They don't fear consequences because often there are none; courts; police; parents; teachers. Nobody likes to make waves. Thai sons are idolised from birth. They bankrupt the family to go into the monkhood. Three months later they've got a girl pregnant - more family expense for sin sot. Three months later they're off with another girl. Spare the rod - spoil the child and anyone else who offends him.

There was a bit more in the Thai news. Prior to the attack, the victim, 53 year-old German tourist Martha Stabila (sp?) had just been on a sight seeing boat trip down the Bangkok Noi canal and was waiting at a bus stop by the Somdet Phra Pinklao Bridge.
She put her bag down on the pavement and one of the flower sellers, for reasons best known to himself, started rummaging through it to which she took exception and rebuked him. The attack happened after that.
She's reported to now be out of hospital and has travelled on to Koh Tao island, perhaps not the safest of places judging by recent news stories.

• Like 1

53 year old German woman rebukes a Thai in the inimitable German fashion.....er, yes,,,,, You 'diss' a Thai and make them lose face - no matter what they were doing, and this kind of response is always a possibility. As Katana says, given this Frau's pugnacious attitude, Koh Tao may not be the ideal next destination!

I have spent a huge amount of time walking around all parts of Bangkok (and the rest of the Kingdom) and often are still wandering around shady areas after sunset and never been hassled. More chance of getting robbed or assaulted in many western countries I have visited or some of the cities in my home country or New Zealand.

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

two men hurling a bottle at a female tourist

Stay classy Thailand .... thai men are the best .... might explain why there are so Thai women prefer same sex relationships

Do you have any evidence that there any more Thai women in 'same sex' relationships, than Thai men, or than women in other countries - or have you just plucked that one out of the air to support your argument?

I'm afraid if this woman caused these 'flower sellers' to lose face,then her resultant injury was always on the cards and if she didn't read her guidebook and realise this, she should have stuck to holidaying in Benidorm. These were street spivs not university professors. not all Thai men are like that, in fact most aren't. Incompetent, yes, violent, no.

There was a bit more in the Thai news. Prior to the attack, the victim, 53 year-old German tourist Martha Stabila (sp?) had just been on a sight seeing boat trip down the Bangkok Noi canal and was waiting at a bus stop by the Somdet Phra Pinklao Bridge.

She put her bag down on the pavement and one of the flower sellers, for reasons best known to himself, started rummaging through it to which she took exception and rebuked him. The attack happened after that.

She's reported to now be out of hospital and has travelled on to Koh Tao island, perhaps not the safest of places judging by recent news stories.

There you go...now we know a bit more information..wonder why the "apologists" had to blame the 53yo woman...with even one poster saying "she probaly gave them the finger or something".

I guess thats being insecure in yourself and not being a realist and having to "pretend" theres no bad Thai people..only if their provoked,so this woman or any other victim caused their own problems.

There is a Psychology term for "apologists" but I forget it now.

I wonder why some people are like that?

Is it to "Block out" any negative feeling and keep in their mind thstceverythings rosy so to speak and its a perfect World?

Never forget the case of the Australian lady travel agent who was stabbed in the street in Phuket a few years ago.

Edited by georgegeorgia

I think what you mean to say inzman is that ..."They really hate YOU here"............

& I think your right.......but not only them, us also........ we all hate you.......

& we're all around you inzman........w00t.gifw00t.gif

So just keep taking the medication............or we're coming to get you..........w00t.gif

• Like 1