The Lost Souls of Thailand's Full-Moon Parties

Jonathan Fairfield

2 girls on BBC TV documentry went come away siad what load rubbish rather go down there local pub hype up but just loads drunks and idiots they did not reckon it but thats there view

Yes and they were complaining about the alcohol , saying that it had a "petrol" taste. That issue has been raised many times before, more in respect of the safety of what is being consumed...but there are no checks, no controls.

I understand that kids need their "days of being wild" but these events are too dangerous now

I went to a Full Moon Party five years ago when I was 25, when I first came to Thailand and it was pretty much exactly like the pics in the OP.

It gets a lot of criticsim about drug taking and anti-social behaviour etc.

But I didn't think it was actually that bad. Sure, drug taking was widespread and quite open but it was no worse than say when I went to Glastonbury or Leeds music festival, in the UK.

My main problem with the Full Moon Party was that it just wasn't very good, well overhyped with terible music, over priced drinks and full of idiots dressed in flourescent clothing and face paint.

Accomodation prices on the island doubles whenever the Full Moon party is on, it's basically just one big rip off.

if it causes so many problems the govt in Thailand could just stop it but it's too much of a money spinner ripping off backpackers!

Glad I went to it, but I wouldn't go back, it's crap! Too old now anyway!

I used to be a pretty hard raver back in England from age 16-21, most weekends coming home at 7am on a Saturday. Anyway you are never too old :P At Global Gathering in 2006 I saw a guy in his 50's smashed on E in the DnB tent and he had his top off, sweating buckets. However, I have calmed down now and I have never been to the full moon party, and I doubt I ever will, nothing here compares to the kind of music festivals back home so I don't bother, also the music is not my scene even in Bangkok it would be hard to find a Jungle or oldskool DnB night on I assume.

I is awesome, lots of fun, drugs, music, crazy, drinks, girls, party, sex happiness.

I wish the whole of Bangkok could be like that one day.

After reading quite a few of your posts on various subjects, it seems to me that you went to one of these parties and over did it on the booze & drugs, and now suffer permanent brain damage.

Just my opinion. wai2.gif

I is awesome, lots of fun, drugs, music, crazy, drinks, girls, party, sex happiness.

I wish the whole of Bangkok could be like that one day.

After reading quite a few of your posts on various subjects, it seems to me that you went to one of these parties and over did it on the booze & drugs, and now suffer permanent brain damage.

Just my opinion. wai2.gif

A lost soul thumbsup.gif

never went, no interest, much like seeing another beach in thailand after ive already seen a good 5 of them, number 6 isnt need'd im to comfy on beach 5 to move , get in a car, then a boat to rinse and repeat the same experience, the same goes for parties like the full moon, there bang la rd for that, lamai or chawang sumui, there's bkk, essentailly the techno computer garbage music n meth dont intrique me, which is why most night most clubs in asia didnt interest me.

the human soul resides in the ear, if the music sucks so bad that u have to take what the kamikazee suicide japense pilots were on just to do 'hippie dance cardio' all night long perhaps you should try better tunes, however jumping rope's that are on fire do show some calisthenic innovation

Edited by ball dip

I went when I was 22 and it was just plain awful. People off their heads on drugs. People pissing in the sea 'cos they were too lazy to go to toilet or didn't wanna pay the 5 Baht fee.

When younger people I know visit and ask if it's any good, I tell them not to bother unless they enjoy making <deleted> of themselves. I've never liked the whole backpacker scene. Being tight with your cash I get. Dressing like a hobo and stinking of BO does not endear you to the locals. Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery? If there are any locals who look and smell like many backpackers, it's not through <deleted> choice! It's actually just offensive and ignorant.

Oh, and when did being the loudest, craziest and most inconsiderate prick become cool?

To each their own. Rant over.

Thanks - you beat me to it almost word for word! I went when I was in my thirties - never again!

Screw witnessing a couple years worth... I've seen over 300. If you want any stories there is not one other person on Koh Phangan with more knowledge and experience than me. Sorry to put it in such simple terms, but I am the longest serving expat on the island, and know everyone and everything. Full moon for gods sake. I was at the first one, and oddly enough am still plying my trade, albeit in a vastly different way. Sleep well, this, like the FMP is thoroughly boring.

I went to a Full Moon Party five years ago when I was 25, when I first came to Thailand and it was pretty much exactly like the pics in the OP.

But I didn't think it was actually that bad. Sure, drug taking was widespread and quite open but it was no worse than say when I went to Glastonbury or Leeds music festival, in the UK.

My main problem with the Full Moon Party was that it just wasn't very good, well overhyped with terible music, over priced drinks and full of idiots dressed in flourescent clothing and face paint.

Accomodation prices on the island doubles whenever the Full Moon party is on, it's basically just one big rip off.

if it causes so many problems the govt in Thailand could just stop it but it's too much of a money spinner ripping off backpackers!

I don't have a problem with anyone enjoying themselves BUT why do they have to be smashed out of their brains on drink or drugs. We have the same

problem in the UK every weekend at a cost of billions. Maybe we should charge everyone who goes to a pub or club to pay for the clean up

I don't have a problem with anyone enjoying themselves BUT why do they have to be smashed out of their brains on drink or drugs. We have the same

problem in the UK every weekend at a cost of billions. Maybe we should charge everyone who goes to a pub or club to pay for the clean up

They already do, in a sense. Remember alcohol is heavily taxed..

Ahhhh, I can remember what it was like at that age. I was toting a M-16 and .45, in the jungles of Vietnam, playing "Kill or be Killed". Bigger adrenalin rush than any Full Moon Party, I can guarantee. lol

yes ....Join the American Army, see the world , and kill them

So you went five years ago, when you was 25. You think you're too old now ? What !! :)