No Visa Stamp - what to do

I met up with a friend of mine form Australia who got his 6-month tourist visa.

We were chatting away over a few beers around my pool and I asked him to see his tourist visa, as I have actually never seen one. While looking at his passport, I noticed there was no entry stamp. I asked him what happened at immigration and he said that he went through immigration ( not exactly sure how ) following some air crew and ended up in baggage pick-up.

He has been in Thailand nearly a month now and doesn't know what to do. Additionally he threw away his boarding pass into the BBQ at my place. Maybe he is a bit dumb, but still a nice guy.

Advice please.

Probably the best thing to do is go back to the airport and go to immigration there to try and sort things out.

Perhaps the airline could provide him some kind of proof of what date he entered the country.

Best idea, UJ. If he has his confirmation code or ticket number it will be easy, for the airline. Even without, just be polite. We're dealing with fellow human beings near every day. Many that haven't had the generations of experience that we guests have had.

Like I've often said, I turn to the tourist police about even small things. Once they get past laughing over my efforts to be polite and speak whatever language comes to me at the time, They then, always help.

Probably the best thing to do is go back to the airport and go to immigration there to try and sort things out.

Perhaps the airline could provide him some kind of proof of what date he entered the country.

Best idea, UJ. If he has his confirmation code or ticket number it will be easy, for the airline. Even without, just be polite. We're dealing with fellow human beings near every day. Many that haven't had the generations of experience that we guests have had.

Like I've often said, I turn to the tourist police about even small things. Once they get past laughing over my efforts to be polite and speak whatever language comes to me at the time, They then, always help.

"Many that haven't had the generations of experience that we guests have had. "

Wow. Rather condescending. One of "we guests" didn't have the sense to present his passport to an immigrations officer. Usually if there is some misunderstanding at immigrations, it's one of "we guests" who is clueless, not the immigratiions officers.

• Like 1

I guess your friend must have a a printed copy of his return flight booking number as he is a tourist. Arrival flight details should be there.

Maybe the tag on his luggage still there ?

Maybe he bought his flight in a travel agency in Australia. They can provide him with the information.

Good luck !

I hope that it is as easy as has been said here for this guy but i have heard of this happening before and the person has been arrested after he has gone back to immigration and charged with entering the country illegally. He would know that he is supposed to go through immigration at some point after landing and if not, then common sense will tell you that there must be a problem and you should then go sort it out straight away, not wait for a month to do it. Anyone can make a mistake but better to sort it out immediately rather than to leave it and think it's not s problem. If I was in his shoes I would be nervous about the outcome TBH! Good luck to him,

• Like 1

You may want to google the 'french family Phuket immigration visa stamp arrest' as Phuket Wan links are not welcome here..

They had exactly the same things and the immigration arrested them and police tried to make them sign a false declaration in Thai.. They were charged, held (with a toddler) and sent out deported etc IIRC.

Edited by LivinLOS

Has the TR been stamped "used"?

Does he have an arrival card?

Has arrival card been stamped ?

It looks like he has managed to get off a long haul flight, tuck in behind the cabin crew and squeeze through the crew lane where they probably don't stamp passports. So he probably doesn't possess an arrivals card.

When I first travelled here 17 years ago, I had only ever shown my passport on the Dover>Calais ferry and I was a bit confused about how to go about entering the country. When I got off the plane i was walking into walls and could have quite easily done the same.

Hoping he can get it sorted.

It looks like he has managed to get off a long haul flight, tuck in behind the cabin crew and squeeze through the crew lane where they probably don't stamp passports. So he probably doesn't possess an arrivals card.

They absolutely stamps passports for crew, In and out.

Fair enough .. He must be a magician .. How do you squeeze past immigration without noticing the queue or someone stopping you.

If you are a crew member, how many passports do you use a year 3-4+ ??

"Many that haven't had the generations of experience that we guests have had. "

Wow. Rather condescending. One of "we guests" didn't have the sense to present his passport to an immigrations officer. Usually if there is some misunderstanding at immigrations, it's one of "we guests" who is clueless, not the immigratiions officers.

I think what Nithisa was trying to say is that most of us on TVF ("we guests") have been here for some years and have entered the Kingdom a number of times, so we are familiar with the process. On the other hand, he is assuming that the person in question was entering for the first time, and it would be easy to make a mistake like this one. The first year I arrived, I had to ask someone where I was supposed to go and even then had trouble finding the location. After 20 hours in a plane with no sleep, I was simply not at peak performance.

I would definitely suggest starting with immigration at the airport, but I suspect this may end up requiring a visit to the main immigration office.

Sorry Paz you're wrong about that. A few countries stamp crew passports but most don't and Thailand definitely doesn't.

• Like 1

Fair enough .. He must be a magician .. How do you squeeze past immigration without noticing the queue or someone stopping you.

If you are a crew member, how many passports do you use a year 3-4+ ??

Actually I remember if you had done an airside transit in bangkok this wasnt that hard to screw up..

Your supposed to have your sticker and be noticed by ground crew, but easily missed.. I have had to point it out to them myself flying bangkok air from phnom penh..

I've been a crew member flying in and out of BKK for over 20 years. I've never had a stamp. Perhaps Crews from some countries have a stamp but I seriously doubt it. We have a General Declaration form instead. So, if he was following some crew members, it's very likely he just slipped through.

• Like 1

good to see that they have improved airport security since that other guy slipped through and made a big splash in the press. think that guy was an in transit felon or something.

anyhow where the link with details of 6-month tourist visa on here. only saw that they were considering not that it was real. time to dump retirement visa 90 day reporting OR HAS THIS VISA GOT THAT REQUIREMENT TOO. pull all the retirement cash out of thailand too.

Edited by rabid old goat

I'd be curious to see what would happen if he tried to slip through immigration following air crew back in Australia. After watching the show, Border Security, I expect the reaction wouldn't be pretty. However 'dumb' your friend might be, I suspect he wouldn't even try it back home. But why take Thailand seriously, right? Why not just toss your entry card on the barbie...

Just wanted to add that unless immigration want to be accommodating with your friend, the fine for crossing in without registering is up to Bt 20,000.

and you posted this to deflect attention from the absolute thainess that allowed it to happen?

you chose instead to blame it all on the hapless disorientated jet-lagged culture shocked newbie tourist. yes thats right dam foreigners it all their fault.

Edited by rabid old goat

Just wanted to add that unless immigration want to be accommodating with your friend, the fine for crossing in without registering is up to Bt 20,000.

and you posted this to deflect attention from the absolute thainess that allowed it to happen?

Sorry I'm also missing the point you're trying to make. However my intent is to bring constructive advice.

Not so from my experience. I've seen both, but no stamps would be more common, in fact were more common a few years ago, but that may have changed.