Thailand lodges protest with US over comments

webfact

Truthiness meets Thainess ... film at 11!

attachicon.gif120405truthiness.jpg

TRUTHINESS????? Another Naive American. So sad.....

attachicon.gifIgnorance.jpg

Ha ha.

More like another predictable knee jerk anti-American.

I get it, actually thinking disdain for everything about "America" makes for intellectual and cultural superiority.

Talk about PATHETIC and IGNORANT.

Edited by Jingthing

The problem is that Prayut, the royal establishment and the Bangkok elite, truly believe from the bottom of their hearts that true democracy is only reserved for the rich and powerful. In their eyes the poor should have no say on who rules the country and the US is fully aware of this. The US will ramp up the pressure now, notice the timing of this high level visit? smile.png

Problem is the US is very much out of touch with the political situation in Thailand.

Perhaps it would be wiser for the US to first engage brain before opening mouth.

How exactly is the US out of touch?

Are you in touch?

I'm pretty sure that Mon and the Koh Tao mafia are intouch...

that's the line we've been fed anyway..

How hard would it be for the General and even Thai Visa to get someone with decent English skills to proof read this stuff so they stop looking like dunces,

"I'm sorry we've been friends for such a long time" oh dear, how embarrassment.

Protesting against the truth ... could it get any worse? Of course it could ... "As prime minister, I will not let any country interfere in our affairs. Every country has dignity. Thailand has dignity and we respect every country. I am sorry to hear opinions that do not reflect the truth. I am sorry that we have been friends for a long time. I am not the enemy," Prayut said.

I for one will be happy to see the day that Thais treat foreigners with dignity and respect ... the visa system itself is contrary to his statement.

Surely Russel - 'the most senior (diplomatic) US official to visit Thailand since the coup ' should have had the common courtesy to include the PM in his visits. Regardless of peoples personal views and thoughts, it was clearly a deliberate snub. Russel could still have said what he did say, but was there a real need to be so disrespectful ?,

Courtesy - "polite behavior that shows respect for other people."

It may well have been a deliberate snub but the US cannot be seen as supporting a coup. Under international law the current military gov has no legitimacy ... that's like me saying I'm going to take over a country and then want all world leaders to support my illegal actions ... it ain't going to happen.

"When an elected leader is deposed, impeached by the authorities that implemented the coup, and then targeted with criminal charges while basic democratic processes and institutions are interrupted.."

So this statement is untrue then?? This has not happened??

storm in a tea-cup?

how did George W get elected?

how do all of them get elected?

democracy ... what a crock

who believes anything that comes out of America? I certainly don't

are all Aussies rabid, hateful sociopaths like the elected political party and its whacko leader?

both sides are funded by corporations, so policy always favours the corporations (the 1%) ...

duopoly not democracy ...

So is the statement untrue?

I like the bit where he talks about 'Western style democracy'...

There is no such thing as a 'style' of democracy... Its either a democracy or its not...

I love this country and I love the majority of the Thai people but my good gracious, their stupidity/pig-headedness/belligerence/twisting-of-the-facts <delete as appropriate> drives me up the wall sometimes...

Surely Russel - 'the most senior (diplomatic) US official to visit Thailand since the coup ' should have had the common courtesy to include the PM in his visits. Regardless of peoples personal views and thoughts, it was clearly a deliberate snub. Russel could still have said what he did say, but was there a real need to be so disrespectful ?,

Courtesy - "polite behavior that shows respect for other people."

Take it up with the US State Department. He was acting on instruction. His speech was vetted and his comments were known at State long before he made them in Thailand. If you think this wasn't planned or thought out, you are mistaken.

You consider him to be disrespectful, but his statements were a repetition of already stated policy. The audience was not offended. The offense is construed by those who undertook and supported a coup d'état. His statements were also far less blunt than those of the EU or other foreign ministers. You obviously support the coup d'état, however, you should understand that most of the developed free world does not and they will speak out in an honest and peaceful manner. This "altercation" is to be expected and is the result of a coup.

I am not mistaken. I agree with you that this was planned and thought out before hand. I even agree with the way the comments were constructed.

I was not complaining about the statements Russel made, but rather the lack of diplomatic courtesy. This behavior at school would be classified as childish.

--------- "was there a real need to be so disrespectful" by excluding the PM in the visits?

Given that USA should be well aware of the culture of 'face', my question is "how was this petty snub of any benefit to Thailand and all its people? "

There is no doubt that the US gent accepted Yinglucks side of everything without attempting to get a balanced view of what had happened to lead to her impeachment.

That being the case the statements that were made at the university were completely one sided.

Furthermore the fact they Yingluck met with the US envoy and gave what could only have been a one sided version of events was a deliberate attempt to sway international opinion against Thailand and a direct attack on the country and the Thai people.

These comments will have been reported internationally and coming from a US envoy will be accepted as the truth, while they are only half truths at best.

The Shins care not that they will hurt the country and the people. It shows just how far these people are prepared to go in their own self interest.

"During his visit, Russel met former premiers Yingluck and Abhisit Vejjajiva as well as Foreign Minister Tanasak Patimapagorn to discuss the political situation."

From the NY Times:

"BANGKOK — The most senior United States diplomat to visit Thailand since the military seized power in May called on Monday for the lifting of martial law and delivered harsh words to the junta.

The envoy, Daniel R. Russel, the assistant secretary of state for East Asian and Pacific affairs, said in an interview that he had been sent by the Obama administration to tell the military leaders that the United States would not “paper over problems” and that he had told the junta it was losing credibility.
The United States was critical of the coup in May, but it has also sought to preserve the essentials of its relationship with Thailand, one of its oldest allies in Asia, including a longstanding military association.
Mr. Russel’s message to the junta on Monday, which he described as “blunt” and “tough,” was Washington’s most detailed criticism of the overthrowing of the country’s elected government and the curtailment of civil rights and speech that followed.
“Thailand is losing credibility in the eyes of its international friends and partners by not moving more quickly to end martial law, to restore civil rights and to ensure that this effort to engineer a new constitution and hold elections is not purely a top-down affair,” Mr. Russel said."
  • Like 2

"When an elected leader is deposed, impeached by the authorities that implemented the coup, and then targeted with criminal charges while basic democratic processes and institutions are interrupted.."

So this statement is untrue then?? This has not happened??

She was deposed by a court not a coup. For an illegal act. She had dissolved parliament and was in a caretaker capacity at the time.

The impeachment followed the coup and was voted on by people appointed by the coup leaders. However, the facts that determined how people voted are undeniable. Yingluck chose not to answer questions, which certainly didn't help her defense, especially when she also chose to publicly show disrespect.

Targeted with criminal charges? - that is a legal process. It remains to be seen if she is guilty when judged by a court of law. Are they saying prosecutions where evidence suggests criminal activity and corruption should be frozen until a new constitution, reforms, and elections are in place? Don't think the American judiciary would accept political interference in their legal processes willingly.

Democratic processes and institutions are currently interrupted and the country is under martial law.

So, in answering your question, the statement has some grains of truth in it. If you added the rest of his statement it would contain more.

Truthiness meets Thainess ... film at 11!

attachicon.gif120405truthiness.jpg

TRUTHINESS????? Another Naive American. So sad.....

attachicon.gifIgnorance.jpg

Ha ha.

More like another predictable knee jerk anti-American.

I get it, actually thinking disdain for everything about "America" makes for intellectual and cultural superiority.

Talk about PATHETIC and IGNORANT.

It does seem that the PC intellectual elites in certain Western countries think it's very 'fashionable" to bash anything American or British. The two countries who have given so much to protect the ideas of democracy and justice. Neither perfect - but is anyone else willing or capable of doing this? Or likely to do a better job?

Easy to criticize.

• Like 2

just switch off the money tap(Cobra gold)and statements w e will see what hurts...

What?.... all $3.5 Million a year?

Wow, that is going to make a massive dent in the economy.

The leader probably pays himself that a week.

Try 80 million in aid per year, 20+billion in exports, not to mention the tens of thousands of servicemen visiting the tourist areas during shore leave each year.

Edited by NomadJoe

Thailand has dignity and we respect every country.

Oh P l e a s e...get over it already...

Your whining is messing up my beer...that I am allowed to buy at pre-set hours of the day...

We all have our crosses to carry...how you carry yours is the measure of a man...

The problem is that Prayut, the royal establishment and the Bangkok elite, truly believe from the bottom of their hearts that true democracy is only reserved for the rich and powerful. In their eyes the poor should have no say on who rules the country and the US is fully aware of this. The US will ramp up the pressure now, notice the timing of this high level visit? smile.png

World Conference on Human Rights, 14-25 June 1993, Vienna, Austria was agreed by 171 countries and reaffirmed human rights from Universal Declaration of Human Rights (UDHR) in 1948. The Asia conference as part of the 1993 series was held in Bangkok and is often called the Bangkok Declaration which Thailand agreed.

When the right to have your vote counted equally with others does not exist, it is difficult to call the system democratic. When government funds historically are used in Bangkok at five times the rate per person as in the rest of the country, one has to wonder what kind of democracy has been ruling the country. Just look at schools and roads in Isaan and greater Bangkok to see the difference.

It is likely that 49% of the US do not want Obama as president, but have endured for the last six years as having a bad president is seen as far superior to rule by guns. America has worked with dictators when they were seen as the lessor of evil. Does anyone think North Korea is a democracy or Cuba or China? :) Democracy is often ugly and does not promise stability. Saddam Hussein had stability in Iraq but that is not democracy. It is also true that the form of democracy in Venezuela has ruined it due to a lack of checks and balances. When inequality is huge, the elite may lose the right to govern such as in the Arab Spring.

I like the bit where he talks about 'Western style democracy'...

There is no such thing as a 'style' of democracy... Its either a democracy or its not...

I love this country and I love the majority of the Thai people but my good gracious, their stupidity/pig-headedness/belligerence/twisting-of-the-facts <delete as appropriate> drives me up the wall sometimes...

yes, a pig is a pig is a pig.........feel free to substitute for pig as anyone wishes.....that is calling a pig an eagle is a lie

Had any mere mortal dared to make those comments in Thailand, methinks a rather long period of attitude adjustment would have been prescribed and then administered.

Mostly everything here, written or spoken, has to be subdued to satisfy the powers that be. These comments from the U.S. Official spokesperson maybe more than can be tolerated by the self-appointed government here. Surely now there is no doubt in anyone's mind, how the situation here is viewed by the word governments. The only difference is that the U.S. came to Thailand to say it. May many more follow the lead.

Problem is the US is very much out of touch with the political situation in Thailand.

Perhaps it would be wiser for the US to first engage brain before opening mouth.

Same, same u