Prayut says Yingluck can't leave Thailand if she faces trial in court

webfact

Prayut says Yingluck can't leave the country if she faces trial in court

1-28-2015-10-04-54-PM-wpcf_728x413.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha said the former prime minister could not leave the country if she faces court cases or have been prohibited by the court to leave the country.

He said if the court disallows her to leave, then the National Council for Peace and Order also will not allow her to leave.

He insisted that the impeachment of Ms Yingluck Shinawatra by the National Legislative Assembly was in accordance with the justice system which was normal procedure and the NCPO has no intention to direct any legal channel to chase anybody.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/prayut-says-yingluck-cant-leave-country-faces-trial-court

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2015-01-29

He insisted that the impeachment of Ms Yingluck Shinawatra by the National Legislative Assembly was in accordance with the justice system which was normal procedure and the NCPO has no intention to direct any legal channel to chase anybody.

There is your invitation to run YL. They will not chase after you. Better do it now before it is too late.

• Like 1

There can never be a just impeachment of Yingluk as long as her Coup leader is in charge of Thailand. Prayut has placed 50% milutary men throughout the political & legal system. There is no possibility of a fair trial for Yingluk. If I was her, Dubai looks awfully good!!

• Like 1

Has she even indicated any desire to leave? It seems that the only ones talking about her leaving are those who would benefit from such a move. To their disappointment, she has not left, nor indicated a desire to do so.

It "runs" in the family

keep the feet for dancing and stay off the yogurt

Musing aloud, could it be that Yingluck is rather more interested in politics than many here believe, and has calculated that a spell in (what may be a not too uncomfortable) prison may be very good for her political future?

Certainly the worst thing for the Junta would be an Internationally and domestically recognised political martyr.

• Like 2

Musing aloud, could it be that Yingluck is rather more interested in politics than many here believe, and has calculated that a spell in (what may be a not too uncomfortable) prison may be very good for her political future?

Certainly the worst thing for the Junta would be an Internationally and domestically recognised political martyr.

Perhaps this is why they state no chase would be given

With their stumbling and bumbling they have probably done that already. And the lady is becoming a major thorn in their side.

I still believe that jail time would be the WRONG thing for Yingluck. The smart thing all around would be

a. that her assets are frozen

b. a complete audit of her families (including hubby and son and relatives) be done to trace any money,

c. That the cost of the losses for this fiasco be taken out of her finances and anyone guilty of being involved.

d. that all funds be put into the country coffers and in a transparent system used to assist farmers in buying their land and learning to use and getting new equipment in each village to be shared by the community.

e. any extra funds be put into upgrading the education of farm children so that they learn at the same level as other kids

If this is done then the PT and the reds will have very little to stand on in protest and it will allow reconciliation toove forward more easily

Sounds good, but "country coffers" translates to individuals or special interest groups, to me. It is always the poor and the poorly educated peoples of Thailand who have to pay the price of corruption. Public monies seems never to be spent on better education for Thai people. Sad really. sad.png

There can never be a just impeachment of Yingluk as long as her Coup leader is in charge of Thailand. Prayut has placed 50% milutary men throughout the political & legal system. There is no possibility of a fair trial for Yingluk. If I was her, Dubai looks awfully good!!

If you were her, you would know you were guilty as hell and in any court would be convicted for G2G scams etc.

And yes the shopping in Dubai is very good with all those brand name stores in huge AC Malls. I just wish the shop assistants could speak Thai as I can't understand their English. Still I am sure my brother can organise a translator & a body guard to protect me from all those Arabs.

• Like 2

I still believe that jail time would be the WRONG thing for Yingluck. The smart thing all around would be

a. that her assets are frozen

b. a complete audit of her families (including hubby and son and relatives) be done to trace any money,

c. That the cost of the losses for this fiasco be taken out of her finances and anyone guilty of being involved.

d. that all funds be put into the country coffers and in a transparent system used to assist farmers in buying their land and learning to use and getting new equipment in each village to be shared by the community.

e. any extra funds be put into upgrading the education of farm children so that they learn at the same level as other kids

If this is done then the PT and the reds will have very little to stand on in protest and it will allow reconciliation toove forward more easily

Sounds good, but "country coffers" translates to individuals or special interest groups, to me. It is always the poor and the poorly educated peoples of Thailand who have to pay the price of corruption. Public monies seems never to be spent on better education for Thai people. Sad really. sad.png

Hence the transparency issue

"He insisted that the impeachment of Ms Yingluck Shinawatra by the National Legislative Assembly was in accordance with the justice system"

Um, the prosecution of this case is retroactive. There is no legal precedent for retroactive enforcement. Not a single one. Further, the retroactive prosecution utilizes a law from a Constitution that was revoked more than four years ago.

It is a very close analogy to declare: this is like making Sprite illegal, and then prosecuting people who drank sprite any time in the last four years.

• Like 2

Has she even indicated any desire to leave? It seems that the only ones talking about her leaving are those who would benefit from such a move. To their disappointment, she has not left, nor indicated a desire to do so.

On the contrary, she has left twice with-permission since the coup, and both times been reported as having met with her brother & visited countries not originally scheduled, the government has in fact been very tolerant. wink.png

On the contrary, she has left twice with-permission since the coup, and both times been reported as having met with her brother & visited countries not originally scheduled, the government has in fact been very tolerant. wink.png

My comment was based in the present, not in the past. Has she recently expressed any desire to leave the country? The answer is, of course, NO.